Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connecting to computers together

Connecting to computers together

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9yZHkyNg==?=

How do i connect my wireless laptop to my p.c, so i can use its printer and
as the p.c has a virus, will connecting to it mean the virus will get onto my
laptop aswell?
--
Jordan

Malke

Jordy26 wrote:

> How do i connect my wireless laptop to my p.c, so i can use its
> printer and as the p.c has a virus, will connecting to it mean the
> virus will get onto my laptop aswell?

Yes, you must clean up your desktop first or there is a good possibility
that the laptop will also become infected. If you do not have an
antivirus installed (recent version no earlier than 2004 with active
subscription and updated definitions), start scanning with either
Sysclean (first link below) or Dave Lipman's Multi-AV (second link).

http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm

After your initial scan with Sysclean or Multi-AV, get a full-featured
av, install it, update it, and do a thorough scan in Safe Mode. It
would be wise to also scan for non-viral malware per the instructions
at the first link.

Then you can address networking your computers. How you do it depends on
whether or not you have a router, broadband or dialup, etc. and you
haven't told us any of that. If you have broadband, the easiest way to
network is to buy a wireless router. Here are some general links to
help you with that:

Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w

Wireless - Basic Configuration -
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Ryan Younger

Yes, I would reccomend downloading McAfee stinger and scanning your desktop
machine first:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

You should ensure that have an antivirus product installed on your computer
which is kept up-to-date and features real-time protection. It would also
be wise to install a malware detection and removal tool such as Microsoft
AntiSpyware (Beta) and enable the real-time agents:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

When you are sure that your desktop machine is clean, if you have a wireless
adapter within your desktop machine you can setup an adhoc network as per
the following article:

Sharing an Internet Connection Wirelessly (Windows XP Service Pack 2)

http://www.ryanyounger.plus.com/wireless/article.htm

Alternatively, you could purchase a wireless access point/router or combined
ADSL modem with wireless router combo. Exactly what you purchase depends on
your current setup.

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.