Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Q: how exactly is a 40x flash card "faster" than a 4x flash card?

Q: how exactly is a 40x flash card "faster" than a 4x flash card?

Paul Bennett

Greetings, fellow digital enthusiasts!

I've got an oldish (about 1.5 years old) digital camera, a Canon A40.
It's not really high-end - only 2 megapixels - but has some really
nice pictures and I enjoy using it.

It uses Compact Flash for storage, and the speed of my current Compact
Flash card is 4x. I'm considering purchasing a Compact Flash card
whose speed is 40x.

Is it worth the money? Will this really speed up my camera's
operations? What I want to be able to do, basically, is take pictures
faster. One thing I don't like about the digital camera is how I have
to wait between pictures.

Where will I notice a difference, if any, by going from a 4x CF card
to a 40x card?

Thanks everyone for your technical advice!

....Paul

Bill Hilton

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Paul Bennett)

>I've got an oldish (about 1.5 years old) digital camera, a Canon A40.
>It's not really high-end - only 2 megapixels - but has some really
>nice pictures and I enjoy using it.
>
>It uses Compact Flash for storage, and the speed of my current Compact
>Flash card is 4x. I'm considering purchasing a Compact Flash card
>whose speed is 40x.
>
>Is it worth the money? Will this really speed up my camera's
>operations?

It depends on whether or not the camera can write faster than your current card
can accept data. For sure you won't see 10x improvement, and possibly you
won't see any improvement at all.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007 and pick a model from
the drop down menu to see how different cards actually perform with specific
cameras. I didn't see yours on there but you'll get the general idea after
reading this info.

>Where will I notice a difference, if any, by going from a 4x CF card
>to a 40x card?

With a camera that writes fast, like most dSLR's. I just ordered a couple of
80x Lexars for my new 1D Mark II but the camera can shoot up to 20 frames at
8.5 frames/sec and is designed to take advantage of faster cards.

Bill

Jeff Durham

I doubt that you will see a speed advantage in the camera. Where you might
see a difference is when you put the compact flash card in a card reader to
transfer images to your PC. Is it worth it in that case? I have a six year
old Sandisk 80MB card for my Kodak DC240 and I would not upgrade that card
for faster transfer to the PC. It just is not that important. For my
Digital Rebel, I purchased a 40x card mainly because the camera can take
advantage of faster cards.

Jeff

"Paul Bennett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Greetings, fellow digital enthusiasts!
>
> I've got an oldish (about 1.5 years old) digital camera, a Canon A40.
> It's not really high-end - only 2 megapixels - but has some really
> nice pictures and I enjoy using it.
>
> It uses Compact Flash for storage, and the speed of my current Compact
> Flash card is 4x. I'm considering purchasing a Compact Flash card
> whose speed is 40x.
>
> Is it worth the money? Will this really speed up my camera's
> operations? What I want to be able to do, basically, is take pictures
> faster. One thing I don't like about the digital camera is how I have
> to wait between pictures.
>
> Where will I notice a difference, if any, by going from a 4x CF card
> to a 40x card?
>
> Thanks everyone for your technical advice!
>
> ...Paul

Dave Cohen

There is no noticeable difference between 1x and 4x in normal shooting mode
in an A40. I don't use movie mode so can't comment there.
I think you would need a usb2 card reader to see a difference. If you need
to buy a card anyway, pick the faster card but don't pay a premium, you may
be able to take advantage of a faster card in a camera you've yet to
purchase!
Dave Cohen
news:U8iDc.164276$(E-Mail Removed)...