Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless connection keeps dropping off

Wireless connection keeps dropping off

=?Utf-8?B?c3Nw?=

Have a laptop with a centrino processor, after it connects with the router at
home it drops the connection in a minute and shows a red X on the wireless
network connection. There are 2 other desktops on the same router and the
motorola 220 router shows 5 bars on the wireless network connection, but does
not connect again. When I am on the road it works fine at a hotel. Could you
please help me.

Ryan Younger

You don't say if you are using authentication. If you are using WPA this is
a symptom that has been experienced by others and there is a registry edit
on my blog. If not, you may be experiencing co-channel overlap with someone
else's AP. Please check your configuration against the following article:

Wireless Connection Troubleshooting in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (For users
connecting to a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router)

http://www.ryanyounger.plus.com/wireless/article3.htm

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
Networking Weblog

"ssp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have a laptop with a centrino processor, after it connects with the router
> at
> home it drops the connection in a minute and shows a red X on the wireless
> network connection. There are 2 other desktops on the same router and the
> motorola 220 router shows 5 bars on the wireless network connection, but
> does
> not connect again. When I am on the road it works fine at a hotel. Could
> you
> please help me.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Might be excessive noise form 2.4GHz phone or similar device.
What the Signal Strength Bars mean in Wireless hardware? -
http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"ssp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have a laptop with a centrino processor, after it connects with the router

at
> home it drops the connection in a minute and shows a red X on the wireless
> network connection. There are 2 other desktops on the same router and the
> motorola 220 router shows 5 bars on the wireless network connection, but

does
> not connect again. When I am on the road it works fine at a hotel. Could

you
> please help me.

=?Utf-8?B?c3Nw?=

Jack, Great point, I do have several 5.8Hz phones around. I will switch them
off and see. However the other two desktops have the 5.8Hz next to them as
well!

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Might be excessive noise form 2.4GHz phone or similar device.
> What the Signal Strength Bars mean in Wireless hardware? -
> http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "ssp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Have a laptop with a centrino processor, after it connects with the router

> at
> > home it drops the connection in a minute and shows a red X on the wireless
> > network connection. There are 2 other desktops on the same router and the
> > motorola 220 router shows 5 bars on the wireless network connection, but

> does
> > not connect again. When I am on the road it works fine at a hotel. Could

> you
> > please help me.

Ryan Younger

5Ghz devices will only affect you if you are using 802.11a, as you say a
number of devices operate within this band and can cause noise.

802.11b and 802.11g use the 2.4Ghz band. Devices such as microwave's
contain magnetrons which operate within this band (mine operates at 2450Mhz
= 2.4Ghz), they can cause interference but are quite well shielded. Other
wireless devices also cause noise within this band.

You can use Netstumbler to gauge signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). Again, this
is covered in the article I referred you to earlier:

Wireless Connection Troubleshooting in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (For users
connecting to a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router)

http://www.ryanyounger.plus.com/wireless/article3.htm

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
Networking Weblog

(E-Mail Removed)

"ssp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jack, Great point, I do have several 5.8Hz phones around. I will switch
> them
> off and see. However the other two desktops have the 5.8Hz next to them as
> well!
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Might be excessive noise form 2.4GHz phone or similar device.
>> What the Signal Strength Bars mean in Wireless hardware? -
>> http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "ssp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Have a laptop with a centrino processor, after it connects with the
>> > router

>> at
>> > home it drops the connection in a minute and shows a red X on the
>> > wireless
>> > network connection. There are 2 other desktops on the same router and
>> > the
>> > motorola 220 router shows 5 bars on the wireless network connection,
>> > but

>> does
>> > not connect again. When I am on the road it works fine at a hotel.
>> > Could

>> you
>> > please help me.

Barb Bowman MVP-Windows

With 802.11a stay away from channels 153 through 161.
Many US products don't even offer those channels...

I've got 5.8 GHz phones here and tons of 802.11a with no interference
whatsoever..

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:18:19 -0000, "Ryan Younger"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>5Ghz devices will only affect you if you are using 802.11a, as you say a
>number of devices operate within this band and can cause noise.
>
>802.11b and 802.11g use the 2.4Ghz band. Devices such as microwave's
>contain magnetrons which operate within this band (mine operates at 2450Mhz
>= 2.4Ghz), they can cause interference but are quite well shielded. Other
>wireless devices also cause noise within this band.
>
>You can use Netstumbler to gauge signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). Again, this
>is covered in the article I referred you to earlier:
>

>Wireless Connection Troubleshooting in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (For users
>connecting to a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router)
>
>http://www.ryanyounger.plus.com/wireless/article3.htm

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP