Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Should I specify Adobe RGB when my camera has this setting?

Should I specify Adobe RGB when my camera has this setting?

Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org

I have the Digital Rebel and been using the default parameter for color
space. Since I use Photoshop to edit my picts, should I set both color
spaces to Adobe RGB? Is there an intrinsic advantage to using Adobe RGB
which as I understand is a larger gamut than sRGB.
Thanks.

--
Editor, Internet's Convenient and Unbiased Directory of Nutrition Software
http://nutritionsoftware.org

Bill Hilton

>From: "Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org"

>Is there an intrinsic advantage to using Adobe RGB
>which as I understand is a larger gamut than sRGB.

It makes sense if you're going to output the files on a device that can take
advantage of the wider gamut, like a good inkjet printer or a LightJet. On the
other hand if you're going to put the images on the web or print on smaller
gamut machines like most of the Frontier-type printers used by Costco, etc then
it doesn't matter and it's probably less hassle to stay in sRGB.

Bill

Jim

"Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org" <nseditor2002 http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:mY4Cc.3652$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I have the Digital Rebel and been using the default parameter for color
> space. Since I use Photoshop to edit my picts, should I set both color
> spaces to Adobe RGB? Is there an intrinsic advantage to using Adobe RGB
> which as I understand is a larger gamut than sRGB.

Yes, and the larger gamut is the reason.
Jim

Jonathan Wilson

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:47:02 GMT, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org" <nseditor2002 (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>message news:mY4Cc.3652$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> I have the Digital Rebel and been using the default parameter for color
>> space. Since I use Photoshop to edit my picts, should I set both color
>> spaces to Adobe RGB? Is there an intrinsic advantage to using Adobe RGB
>> which as I understand is a larger gamut than sRGB.

>Yes, and the larger gamut is the reason.
>Jim

If it has a larger gamut, how come it ends up looking less full of
colour when viewed on a monitor? Is it because there is now more
colours that fall outside the monitors range, or because the colours
being more spread out dont have as much impact that a more
compressed/limited range would have?

On my monitor I can see a visual and notable difference when I choose
sRGB and then Adobe RGB, then back again.... I'm also interested in
whether there is a difference in resultant print depending on which is
assigned/converted to the file to be printed, or is this all down to
the software used to print and how it interpritates/converts to the
final printed gamut/profile?

Jon
--
Jonathan Wilson.
www.somethingerotic.com

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com

wrote:

> I have the Digital Rebel and been using the default parameter for color
> space. Since I use Photoshop to edit my picts, should I set both color
> spaces to Adobe RGB? Is there an intrinsic advantage to using Adobe RGB
> which as I understand is a larger gamut than sRGB.

The gamut is larger, but not by a huge margin:

http://www.brucelindbloom.com

Clink "Info", then on "Information about RGB Working Sets".

Whether you should use the Adobe space or sRGB depends. For example,
if all your images are going to be viewed on sRGB monitors, then at
some point all that "extra information" will have to be "removed".
Would you like the camera to do this at image collection time (at zero
time cost to you), or would you like to do it post-exposure in
PhotoSlop?

Warren Jones

OK, so if only a monitor is involved, then you suggest using sRGB in-camera
setting; what about outputting to an Epson Photo inkjet as the prime use of
the colour space, again from PS. (Given the difficulties of colour matching
between monitor and printer). Further thoughts on this challenging topic??

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...