Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony Cybershot DSC-W1... Bad Camera...Bad Customer Service by Sony... Read on...

Sony Cybershot DSC-W1... Bad Camera...Bad Customer Service by Sony... Read on...

unavailable

I bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-W1 the other day. I tested it out, and the
indoor photos with flash were dismal. I was replacing an Olympus C-3000,
and at 3.2 megapixles, it blew the Sony away in picture quality. Almost
every shot I took with the new Sony W1 was soft, and the white balance was
off, leaving every white wall in my house either yellow or green. I was not
impressed at all.

Worse than that, I contacted Sony's 800 number to ask them a couple of
questions about the camera. I found out that they have NO technical
experience or information whatsoever. They can merely regurgitate what is
already printed in the manual. I tried to ask them if I can use Lithium
batteries in the camera (not the rechargeable type, just the energizer light
blue and silver batteries that are AA lithium batteries made specifically
for digital cameras,) they said no, you can only use Alkaline or the
rechargeable NiMH batteries. When I asked them why, they said they don't
know, and there are no technical resources for them to ask. (Energizer said
they would work, since they are made to work wherever you would normally use
alkaline) but Sony said NO, they won't work strictly because that what was
printed in the manual. I can't figure out why, but the manager of customer
service for Sony said there was nobody to ask the question to at Sony.

The other question I had for them was can I use a Memory Stick Pro Duo in
the camera and they also said no. (I found out later that in the manual it
says you can, but that's not the point.) The point is, they said no you
couldn't use it because it was a "smaller" memory card and it wouldn't fit.
I even tried to "teach" the guy at Sony that the whole purpose of the duo
card is so that you can use it in equipment that takes EITHER size card, and
that you would use it with the adapter in the W1, but he insisted that you
couldn't use it in that camera. What an idiot.

The bottom line is that when you call Olympus' technical support, they have
TECHNICIANS on the other line that are capable and willing to answer your
technical questions, and if they don't know the answer, they will put you on
hold and try to find it out. (I imagine that other companies like Cannon
and Kodak would as well.) Sony on the other hand was UNWILLING to do that.
They could tell you what was in the manual, (and sometimes not even that)
and then tell you they can't help you anymore.

That left a very bad taste in my mouth (what would I do if I actually needed
service on the camera??) and I promptly returned the camera to the store and
bought the new Olympus C-60 for the same price from Sams Club (but 6
megapixles instead of 5.) I tested the Olympus out and already my first
impression is that it is way better than the Sony. I am now very happy.

I just wanted to post this because maybe I can save some of you from making
the same mistake of buying the Sony W1 camera that I did. It is not a good
model, and SONY is NOT a good company to buy a digital camera from if you
would like any kind of customer service or support.

I've always been happy with Sony, and frankly I was shocked at how much
their company has changed recently with it's customer service, but It will
be a while before they will regain my trust again. And I was just about to
go out and buy a Sony 50" LCD Big Screen TV. Now I'm going to consider a
different company.

Just a word to the wise... STAY AWAY FROM SONY.

David H. Lipman

Good points. I found the same lack of quality support with Sony Vaio laptops. Therefore I
won't buy Sony.

As for using Lithium AA's in the camera. There is absolutely NO reason why you should not
be able to use them. Electrically they are the same as any other AA batteries, they just
last longer. I buy mine from Sears at ~$10.00 for 4 x AA batteries (better price than Radio
Shack).

I use them in my Quantaray QTB-9500A external flash module and I previously used them in my
Olympus D460-Z camera (gave camera to parents). I also use them in portable CD player and
other equip't. and they last so much longer than alkaline batteries.

Dave

"unavailable" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:R33Cc.10212$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> [...]
| bought the new Olympus C-60 for the same price from Sams Club (but 6
| megapixles instead of 5.) I tested the Olympus out and already my first
| impression is that it is way better than the Sony. I am now very happy.
|
| I just wanted to post this because maybe I can save some of you from making
| the same mistake of buying the Sony W1 camera that I did. It is not a good
| model, and SONY is NOT a good company to buy a digital camera from if you
| would like any kind of customer service or support.
|
| I've always been happy with Sony, and frankly I was shocked at how much
| their company has changed recently with it's customer service, but It will
| be a while before they will regain my trust again. And I was just about to
| go out and buy a Sony 50" LCD Big Screen TV. Now I'm going to consider a
| different company.
|
| Just a word to the wise... STAY AWAY FROM SONY.

About the Lithium batteries... You're absolutely right. there's no reason
why you can't use them in the Sony W1 camera. However, Sony Swears that you
can't use them. They specifically call for Alkaline or NiMH only. Sounds
fishy doesn't it?

news:Jx3Cc.29132$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> | impression is that it is way better than the Sony. I am now very happy.
> |
> | I just wanted to post this because maybe I can save some of you from

making
> | the same mistake of buying the Sony W1 camera that I did. It is not a

good
> | model, and SONY is NOT a good company to buy a digital camera from if

you
> | would like any kind of customer service or support.
> |
> | I've always been happy with Sony, and frankly I was shocked at how much
> | their company has changed recently with it's customer service, but It

will
> | be a while before they will regain my trust again. And I was just about

> | go out and buy a Sony 50" LCD Big Screen TV. Now I'm going to consider

> | different company.
> |
> | Just a word to the wise... STAY AWAY FROM SONY.

steve@tropheus.demon.co.uk

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:46:49 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>Good points. I found the same lack of quality support with Sony Vaio laptops. Therefore I
>won't buy Sony.

Just to balance things up a bit. I had a Sony LCD monitor that
developed a patch of missing pixels after nearly three years. It was
just in the guarantee period. Sony no longer made the same monitor so
they exchanged it for a new larger one. It arrived the following day.

Steve
Build networks from numeric, text and image files.
http://www.easynn.com

puss@purrpurr.com

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:14:57 GMT, "unavailable" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-W1 the other day. I tested it out, and the
>indoor photos with flash were dismal. I was replacing an Olympus C-3000,
>and at 3.2 megapixles, it blew the Sony away in picture quality. Almost
>every shot I took with the new Sony W1 was soft, and the white balance was
>off, leaving every white wall in my house either yellow or green. I was not
>impressed at all.

Seems to me you are nothing than a absolute Idiot and got what you deserved..

Alan Browne

David H. Lipman wrote:

Don't top post

> Good points. I found the same lack of quality support with Sony Vaio laptops. Therefore I
> won't buy Sony.
>
> As for using Lithium AA's in the camera. There is absolutely NO reason why you should not
> be able to use them. Electrically they are the same as any other AA batteries, they just
> last longer. I buy mine from Sears at ~$10.00 for 4 x AA batteries (better price than Radio
> Shack).

When the camera manufacturer puts in a warning:
"AA Lithium batteries cannot be used" it is there for a good reason.

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Jeff Durham

If it is not a voltage issue, could it be a temperature issue?

Jeff

"Alan Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OYfCc.115610$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> David H. Lipman wrote:
>
> Don't top post
>
> > Good points. I found the same lack of quality support with Sony Vaio

laptops. Therefore I
> > won't buy Sony.
> >
> > As for using Lithium AA's in the camera. There is absolutely NO reason

why you should not
> > be able to use them. Electrically they are the same as any other AA

batteries, they just
> > last longer. I buy mine from Sears at ~$10.00 for 4 x AA batteries

(better price than Radio
> > Shack).

> When the camera manufacturer puts in a warning:
> "AA Lithium batteries cannot be used" it is there for a good reason.
>

> --
> --e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Dave

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:54:54 -0400, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> somehow managed to impart:

>David H. Lipman wrote:
>
>Don't top post
>
>> Good points. I found the same lack of quality support with Sony Vaio laptops. Therefore I
>> won't buy Sony.
>>
>> As for using Lithium AA's in the camera. There is absolutely NO reason why you should not
>> be able to use them. Electrically they are the same as any other AA batteries, they just
>> last longer. I buy mine from Sears at ~$10.00 for 4 x AA batteries (better price than Radio
>> Shack).

>When the camera manufacturer puts in a warning:
>"AA Lithium batteries cannot be used" it is there for a good reason.

Yes, but what?

Lithium batteries, in my experience have a remarkably constant voltage
throughout their long, useful life. Ohm's Law is relevant here.

My Olympus E-10 works just fine on Lithium batteries as well as NiMH.
Alkaline would probably be fine for a short while, too.

Alkaline start off about 1.6 volts per cell and drop to about 1.4
before becoming useless for most digital cameras. NiMH start off about
1.4 volts max and they hold their charge well until the voltage drops
to <1.28 volts or thereabouts.

Lithium keep going for ages at a pretty constant voltage, and hold
their voltage for years. The battery in your motherboard is lithium.

Lithium ion rechargables have lots of electronics inside them as well
as chemicals and are usually device-specific. Nonetheless the
manufacturers class them as consumables and only give a 6 month
guarantee.

Dave.

2000 hi-resolution photos especially Edinburgh &
Scotland. Also 3D rendered art & altered images.
* No advertisements * http://www.henniker.org.uk

unavailable

"Alan Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OYfCc.115610$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> When the camera manufacturer puts in a warning:
> "AA Lithium batteries cannot be used" it is there for a good reason.

That's brilliant Alan. You sound like you work for Sony's customer service.
Highly technical answer! Now mr. smartypants, do you want to fill us in on
what the good reason you have is?

David H. Lipman

I almost *always* Top Post and will continue to do so !

If they state it -- there has to be a reason. Please provide it.

Dave