Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 100mm telephoto vs telephoto macro

100mm telephoto vs telephoto macro

Jimmy Smith

If I go with the Canon 100mm telephoto macro as opposed to the Canon 100mm
telephoto, am I giving anything up? It seems that with the telephoto macro
I can take close up shots in addition to the telephoto. Any reason why I
may not want to go with the macro.

BTW, I would like to take distant and close up shots.

JImmy

Tony Spadaro

I believe the macro version is at least a stop slower I have the 100 f2 and
it is my favourite lens.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Jimmy Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RN1Cc.2687$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I go with the Canon 100mm telephoto macro as opposed to the Canon 100mm
> telephoto, am I giving anything up? It seems that with the telephoto

macro
> I can take close up shots in addition to the telephoto. Any reason why I
> may not want to go with the macro.
>
> BTW, I would like to take distant and close up shots.
>
> JImmy

Bill Hilton

>From: "Jimmy Smith" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>If I go with the Canon 100mm telephoto macro as opposed to the Canon 100mm
>telephoto, am I giving anything up?

The macro is a stop slower, weighs more and costs more. You're paying a
premium for the ability to focus down to life size.

That said, it's a premium I was quite willing to pay as I have the 100 mm f/2.8
macro myself (and the 85 f/1.8 for a faster lens). But if you don't need the
macro function the 100 f/2 is a better play.

Bill

Robert Meyers

"Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2b2Cc.65558$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> I believe the macro version is at least a stop slower I have the 100 f2

and
> it is my favourite lens.

I also consider the 100mm F2 my favorite lens for my Canons. It is sharp,
fast and usable in many situations. Depends, if you need a macro, the 100
F2 is no macro. One bad ass portrait lens though.

Skip M

"Jimmy Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RN1Cc.2687$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I go with the Canon 100mm telephoto macro as opposed to the Canon 100mm
> telephoto, am I giving anything up? It seems that with the telephoto

macro
> I can take close up shots in addition to the telephoto. Any reason why I
> may not want to go with the macro.
>
> BTW, I would like to take distant and close up shots.
>
> JImmy

Actually the only thing you're giving up is 1/3 stop, and you are getting a
better lens, overall.
But a 100mm lens isn't going to give you a whole lot of reach...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Skip M

The macro is an f2.8.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
"Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2b2Cc.65558$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> I believe the macro version is at least a stop slower I have the 100 f2

and
> it is my favourite lens.
>
> --
> http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
> home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
> The Improved Links Pages are at
> A sample chapter from my novel "Haight-Ashbury" is at
> "Jimmy Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RN1Cc.2687$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If I go with the Canon 100mm telephoto macro as opposed to the Canon

100mm
> > telephoto, am I giving anything up? It seems that with the telephoto

> macro
> > I can take close up shots in addition to the telephoto. Any reason why

> > may not want to go with the macro.
> >
> > BTW, I would like to take distant and close up shots.
> >
> > JImmy

Bill Hilton

>From: "Skip M" (E-Mail Removed)

>Actually the only thing you're giving up is 1/3 stop ...

It's f/2 vs f/2.8, which is a full stop ...