Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Looking for P & S when I can't use my Canon 300d

Looking for P & S when I can't use my Canon 300d

Paula Sims

Hello all,
I have the Canon 300d and I really like it. However, there are times
when I can't bring the camera because it's just too big. I'm looking
for suggestions for a P & S camera that take excellent pictures
(clear, good color balance) with good autofocus (I have very bad
eyes), good in low light, and hopefully a fast shutter speed. Price
not an issue, neither is recording media (I have CF cards, dX cards,
SD cards, etc). Looking for good quality output that can be enlarged
to 8x10.

Thanks so much

Paula Sims

Roger

Paula,

I'm just making the cross over to digital, film will still be my major
photo interest for a while. However, to fill in the gaps when I can't
carry my heavy SLR, I just purchased a Canon S60, 5MP small P&S
digital. The major motivation for this particular camera was the 28mm
(35mm equivalent focal length lens), the ability to shoot in raw mode
and the small size. I spent the week end getting familiar with the
camera and saved a few "Father's Day" snaps. The 8x10 output looks
good at 100% and the cropped and printed 4x6's were very good.

I'll be using this along side of my Contax T3 film P&S for those times
I need to travel light.

There are a couple of things I wish were different and may not have
been satisfactory if this were my only camera (e.g. non-center tripod
socket, no external flash capability, only single custom mode).
However, for it's intended purpose; a carry anywhere, digital, wide
zoom range with good low-light assist (at reasonable distances),
independently controlled flash output exposure (but not hot shoe or
external sync), RAW mode,\ and single custom mode, this will do the
job for me for quite a while. (BTW - chromatic aberration looks quite
low).

I haven't figured out the "P" mode yet, it has a strong f2.8 (e.g.
wide open) bias. I have Av mode set with my preferred "aperture"
results. Also haven't figured out what triggers "auto ISO" just yet,
but that's coming. Right now my preferred mode is Av. The multi-zone
focusing works only in "Auto". However, like all small sensor digitals
the DOF is so great that multi-zone focusing seems to me like a bit of
over kill. I have the custom mode set to a snap mode with lens manual
focused to eliminate as much delay as possible - this is for street
work. You can also force exposure lock and flash-exposure lock rather
cleverly so that you can meter and then recompose shots.

Regards,
Roger

On 22 Jun 2004 05:41:44 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Paula Sims)
wrote:

>Hello all,
>I have the Canon 300d and I really like it. However, there are times
>when I can't bring the camera because it's just too big. I'm looking
>for suggestions for a P & S camera that take excellent pictures
>(clear, good color balance) with good autofocus (I have very bad
>eyes), good in low light, and hopefully a fast shutter speed. Price
>not an issue, neither is recording media (I have CF cards, dX cards,
>SD cards, etc). Looking for good quality output that can be enlarged
>to 8x10.
>
>Thanks so much
>
>Paula Sims
>(E-Mail Removed)

Jose Marques

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Paula Sims wrote:

> I have the Canon 300d and I really like it. However, there are times
> when I can't bring the camera because it's just too big. I'm looking
> for suggestions for a P & S camera that take excellent pictures

[Snip]

Something from the top-end of the Canon IXUS range. I have a V3 (no
longer sold). It's only 3MP but I've had 30cmx20cm prints made which look
good on the wall. The newer models go up to 5MP.

--
Jose Marques

Phil Wheeler

I recently bought a Pentax 43WR as my P&S backup to my dSLR. My
motivation was a bit different: I lost a day of shooting while hiking
Vikos Gorge in Greece due to heavy rain (had to keep the dSLR in my pack
well wrapped). The 43WR is a 4 mp P&S with 2.8x zoom and can be
immersed in one meter of water for 30 min and still work. It is also
reasonably small and light (8 oz or so loaded).

Picture quality is not the best (dSLRs tend to spoil!), but certainly
adequate for my uses. Got some excellent shots in Sequoia NP with it
last week. Now I tend to keep it with me at all times.

I'm not sure there is a review anywhere on line yet (it was released in
May or June). But there is a 33WR review somewhere (43WR adds some
useful features and a megapixel but is otherwise pretty much the same
camera).

Phil

Jose Marques wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Paula Sims wrote:
>

>>I have the Canon 300d and I really like it. However, there are times
>>when I can't bring the camera because it's just too big. I'm looking
>>for suggestions for a P & S camera that take excellent pictures

> [Snip]
>
> Something from the top-end of the Canon IXUS range. I have a V3 (no
> longer sold). It's only 3MP but I've had 30cmx20cm prints made which look
> good on the wall. The newer models go up to 5MP.

nellybly

In article <QuYBc.59330$(E-Mail Removed)>, Phil Wheeler
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I recently bought a Pentax 43WR as my P&S backup to my dSLR. My
> motivation was a bit different: I lost a day of shooting while hiking
> Vikos Gorge in Greece due to heavy rain (had to keep the dSLR in my pack
> well wrapped). The 43WR is a 4 mp P&S with 2.8x zoom and can be
> immersed in one meter of water for 30 min and still work. It is also
> reasonably small and light (8 oz or so loaded).
>
> Picture quality is not the best (dSLRs tend to spoil!), but certainly
> adequate for my uses. Got some excellent shots in Sequoia NP with it
> last week. Now I tend to keep it with me at all times.
>
> I'm not sure there is a review anywhere on line yet (it was released in
> May or June). But there is a 33WR review somewhere (43WR adds some
> useful features and a megapixel but is otherwise pretty much the same
> camera).
>
> Phil

Steve's Digicams posted a review not too long ago:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...optio43wr.html
NB

Joseph Miller

Paula Sims wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have the Canon 300d and I really like it. However, there are times
> when I can't bring the camera because it's just too big. I'm looking
> for suggestions for a P & S camera that take excellent pictures
> (clear, good color balance) with good autofocus (I have very bad
> eyes), good in low light, and hopefully a fast shutter speed. Price
> not an issue, neither is recording media (I have CF cards, dX cards,
> SD cards, etc). Looking for good quality output that can be enlarged
> to 8x10.
>
> Thanks so much
>
> Paula Sims
> (E-Mail Removed)

I don't think you can go wrong with a Canon S410 (4MEG) or S500 (5MEG).
I have both and have found them to be effectively foolproof.
Excellent focus, extremely sharp (great 8x10s, even 11x14s), and
excellent expsure values. In well over 95% of the shots I have taken, I
couldn't have done better with a fully manual camera. I'm doing
exactly the same thing. I want both a super compact camera and a DSLR.
However, I fear I may almost never carry the DSLR, as the the pictures
are so good with the smalll camera. Once you get over the idea that you
have very little choice in settings and just look at the results, it's
a bit unsettling!

Joe

bagal

it seems awfully quiet - and while G & G'ette are absent perhaps all will
understand if I put:

have u tried the SDx and Foveon yet?

There, I did it!

I am sure all will understand

das B

news:220620041209538554%(E-Mail Removed)...