Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless router security

wireless router security

=?Utf-8?B?Y2hlc3Qgcm9ja3dlbGw=?=

I have a wireless router that works fine, I would just like to close my
connection so that others can't get on it. How would I go about doing this.
I would also like to change the name of the connection from a former
roommate's nickname to something more personal. Any thoughts?

Lem

chest rockwell wrote:

> I have a wireless router that works fine, I would just like to close my
> connection so that others can't get on it. How would I go about doing this.
> I would also like to change the name of the connection from a former
> roommate's nickname to something more personal. Any thoughts?

Basically, the first thing you have to do is learn how to use your router's
configuration screens. Go to the website of the router manufacturer and
download the manual for your model. Then ...

Set the SSID to something other than the default value (e.g., on Linksys
routers, change this to something other than "linksys").

Enable the highest level of encryption that your hardware (BOTH ends of the
wireless connection, not just the router) can accomodate. In increasing order
of security, first WEP, then WPA with TKIP, then WPA with AES, then WPA2. Make
sure to use a "good" password.

There are other steps you can take, such as using MAC filtering and limiting the
number of addresses that may be assigned by the router's DHCP server, but -- as
you will see if you lurk here long enough -- there are many who disparage such
steps.

Check these out for more info -- there are many more:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ebruary10.mspx

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/security/

As for changing the name of the connection, right click on the connection in
question and click on "rename"

Ryan Younger

Please see the following article:

Best Practices for Securing a SOHO Wireless Access Point/Router

Available at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.