Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > If you are trapped in ancient time, what would you take?

Reply
Thread Tools

If you are trapped in ancient time, what would you take?

 
 
nospamphoto@none.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2004

Let's say, through the act of god, or whatever, that you've been
transported back through time for a few thousand years. Would you've
preferred that you have a digital camera? Or a film camera?

If you just happen to have a digital camera, say a Canon digital rebel
(or D Mark II, or Nikon D2x, whatever) with a fully charged battery,
and say a 1GB compact flash (heck, say a 10gb cf). How would you use
it? It's unlikely that you'll be able to charge the battery once it's
gone. If you will never make it back to our time, do you think the
compact flash will retain its data for a few thousand years? Under
the assumption that it might retain the data for a while, how would
you shoot? Are you gonna shoot raw? JPG, what compression level? What
do you think is more worthwhile to archeologists, 1000 medium grade
pictures, or 500 higher grade pictures? Or 200 raw pictures?

On the other hand, if you happen to have say a film camera, with a few
roll of film, say 10-20, what would you do? For the sake of argument
I'll assume the film camera also takes battery, but those batteries
might last a bit longer. However, there's no place to buy additional
battery or develop the film, so it's also unlikely that it will last a
few thousand years for us to see anyway....

If we change the scenario a bit, let's say you get 'rescued' after 3
years, but you don't know that, but you are under the assumption that
you will be rescued after some time, how would you use your camera to
document this once in a lifetime never before possible encounter to
the world? If you have your pick of equipment, what would it be?
Whatever you pick, it has to fit in a backpack.

Me, I think I'll take a DSLR that takes AA battery and a few GB of
compact flash, and a solar AA battery charger, and a GPS that writes
the tracklog to compact flash and virtually unlimited waypoint
storage, that also takes AA batteries

Or, I could use a fully mechanical film camera and some bulk films.

Raymond
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2004

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cb771q$1lgi$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Let's say, through the act of god, or whatever, that you've been
> transported back through time for a few thousand years. Would you've
> preferred that you have a digital camera? Or a film camera?
>
> If we change the scenario a bit, let's say you get 'rescued' after 3
> years, but you don't know that, but you are under the assumption that
> you will be rescued after some time, how would you use your camera to
> document this once in a lifetime never before possible encounter to
>
> Me, I think I'll take a DSLR that takes AA battery and a few GB of
> compact flash, and a solar AA battery charger, and a GPS that writes
> the tracklog to compact flash and virtually unlimited waypoint
> storage, that also takes AA batteries
>
> Or, I could use a fully mechanical film camera and some bulk films.
>
> Raymond


Won't matter what camera you take. No electricty to operate recharge your
digi batteries or run your computer, no chemicals or processors to handle
film.
You would be better off taking drawing pads and a box of pencils.
Oh Yeah watch out for the man eating animals.









 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alan Browne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2004
Mike wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cb771q$1lgi$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Let's say, through the act of god, or whatever, that you've been
>>transported back through time for a few thousand years. Would you've
>>preferred that you have a digital camera? Or a film camera?
>>
>>Me, I think I'll take a DSLR that takes AA battery and a few GB of
>>compact flash, and a solar AA battery charger, and a GPS that writes
>>the tracklog to compact flash and virtually unlimited waypoint
>>storage, that also takes AA batteries



The first GPS' test satellites flew around 1980 and a navigable
constellation didn't appear before about 1994. So leave the GPS
at home for this trip to the past.


--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

 
Reply With Quote
 
nospamphoto@none.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2004
In rec.photo.digital Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The first GPS' test satellites flew around 1980 and a navigable
> constellation didn't appear before about 1994. So leave the GPS
> at home for this trip to the past.


True. I've forgotten about that. Damn!!

Raymond
 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Self
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2004
Mike responds:

>Won't matter what camera you take. No electricty to operate recharge your
>digi batteries or run your computer, no chemicals or processors to handle
>film.
>You would be better off taking drawing pads and a box of pencils.
>Oh Yeah watch out for the man eating animals.


Which makes an M1 and a couple thousand rounds a much better bet for a
traveling companion.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to." Dorothy Parker



 
Reply With Quote
 
nospamphoto@none.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2004
Charlie Self <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Won't matter what camera you take. No electricty to operate recharge your
>>digi batteries or run your computer, no chemicals or processors to handle
>>film.
>>You would be better off taking drawing pads and a box of pencils.
>>Oh Yeah watch out for the man eating animals.


> Which makes an M1 and a couple thousand rounds a much better bet for a
> traveling companion.


I thought about that. But since this is a photography newsgroup, let's
stick to the photographic equipment.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Self
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2004
nospamphoto requests:

>Charlie Self <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>Won't matter what camera you take. No electricty to operate recharge your
>>>digi batteries or run your computer, no chemicals or processors to handle
>>>film.
>>>You would be better off taking drawing pads and a box of pencils.
>>>Oh Yeah watch out for the man eating animals.

>
>> Which makes an M1 and a couple thousand rounds a much better bet for a
>> traveling companion.

>
>I thought about that. But since this is a photography newsgroup, let's
>stick to the photographic equipment.


Fair enough. Add in a pinhole camera, some tin sheet, and a helluva good
chemistry course so you can prep your own, make your own chemicals, and produce
tintypes.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to." Dorothy Parker



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jimmy Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2004
If you brought any advanced technology you would have been killed for
witchcraft. No matter how hard you tried you would not be able to convince
them otherwise.

Jimmy

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cb771q$1lgi$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Let's say, through the act of god, or whatever, that you've been
> transported back through time for a few thousand years. Would you've
> preferred that you have a digital camera? Or a film camera?
>
> If you just happen to have a digital camera, say a Canon digital rebel
> (or D Mark II, or Nikon D2x, whatever) with a fully charged battery,
> and say a 1GB compact flash (heck, say a 10gb cf). How would you use
> it? It's unlikely that you'll be able to charge the battery once it's
> gone. If you will never make it back to our time, do you think the
> compact flash will retain its data for a few thousand years? Under
> the assumption that it might retain the data for a while, how would
> you shoot? Are you gonna shoot raw? JPG, what compression level? What
> do you think is more worthwhile to archeologists, 1000 medium grade
> pictures, or 500 higher grade pictures? Or 200 raw pictures?
>
> On the other hand, if you happen to have say a film camera, with a few
> roll of film, say 10-20, what would you do? For the sake of argument
> I'll assume the film camera also takes battery, but those batteries
> might last a bit longer. However, there's no place to buy additional
> battery or develop the film, so it's also unlikely that it will last a
> few thousand years for us to see anyway....
>
> If we change the scenario a bit, let's say you get 'rescued' after 3
> years, but you don't know that, but you are under the assumption that
> you will be rescued after some time, how would you use your camera to
> document this once in a lifetime never before possible encounter to
> the world? If you have your pick of equipment, what would it be?
> Whatever you pick, it has to fit in a backpack.
>
> Me, I think I'll take a DSLR that takes AA battery and a few GB of
> compact flash, and a solar AA battery charger, and a GPS that writes
> the tracklog to compact flash and virtually unlimited waypoint
> storage, that also takes AA batteries
>
> Or, I could use a fully mechanical film camera and some bulk films.
>
> Raymond



 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian C. Baird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2004
In article <cb771q$1lgi$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Me, I think I'll take a DSLR that takes AA battery and a few GB of
> compact flash, and a solar AA battery charger, and a GPS that writes
> the tracklog to compact flash and virtually unlimited waypoint
> storage, that also takes AA batteries


Too bad those GPS satellites won't be launched for hundreds of years to
come.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian C. Baird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)otforme says...
> Fair enough. Add in a pinhole camera, some tin sheet, and a helluva good
> chemistry course so you can prep your own, make your own chemicals, and produce
> tintypes.


I'd also recommend running daily to prepare for the inevitable witch
hunts.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
left/right mouse button events not trapped mitsura@skynet.be Python 3 09-06-2005 04:11 PM
newbie Q: mouse clicks don't seem to get trapped mitsura@skynet.be Python 1 09-05-2005 04:19 PM
stripped tripod mount, trapped Fuji 3800 dax Digital Photography 0 05-12-2004 02:31 AM
Access violation not caught/trapped by Visual Studio or Dr Watson Greg B C++ 3 04-23-2004 02:08 PM
Photos Trapped! Help with escape plan... nick ring Digital Photography 4 09-24-2003 08:18 PM



Advertisments