Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Storing photos while on a trip. Without a laptop and on a budget

Storing photos while on a trip. Without a laptop and on a budget

Dan Irwin

Hi,

I'm about to go on a 6 week trip and i want to take alot of pictures.
The olny poblem i have seem to run into is how to store this pics
while on my trip. I'm not going to be taking my laptop along so i
can't store them on a computer. Buying a lot of flash cards can get
expensive, and i'm on a tight budget, so is there another option?

thanks for the help,

dan

p.s.

i'm taking 5-4 MegaPixel pics if it helps
If it changes anything i'm using a

David J Taylor

> Hi,
>
> I'm about to go on a 6 week trip and i want to take alot of pictures.
> The olny poblem i have seem to run into is how to store this pics
> while on my trip. I'm not going to be taking my laptop along so i
> can't store them on a computer. Buying a lot of flash cards can get
> expensive, and i'm on a tight budget, so is there another option?
>
> thanks for the help,
>
> dan

See if you can borrow, rather than buy, flash cards....

Cheers,
David

Pete

On 21 Jun 2004 07:45:57 -0700, Dan Irwin wrote:

> I'm about to go on a 6 week trip and i want to take alot of pictures.
> The olny poblem i have seem to run into is how to store this pics
> while on my trip. I'm not going to be taking my laptop along so i
> can't store them on a computer. Buying a lot of flash cards can get
> expensive, and i'm on a tight budget, so is there another option?

Various companies offer portable hard drives and CD burners with built-in
card readers, just for this purpose. I don't have any experience with them,
but I believe some sell for under $300.

Another approach would be to go to a small, independent computer store
whenever your memory cards fill up, and have them burn a CD for you. (I
have used these stores to burn CDs when I filled my laptop hard drive with
photos!) It's also possible Kinko's and similar outlets can let you do the
same thing.

David Dyer-Bennet

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dan Irwin) writes:

> I'm about to go on a 6 week trip and i want to take alot of pictures.
> The olny poblem i have seem to run into is how to store this pics
> while on my trip. I'm not going to be taking my laptop along so i
> can't store them on a computer. Buying a lot of flash cards can get
> expensive, and i'm on a tight budget, so is there another option?

You can get smaller-than-a-laptop devices that are basically a hard
drive in a box with a memory card slot; any memory card inserted in
the slot gets copied onto the hard drive.

Trouble with this, or with just putting them on the laptop hard drive,
is that you then have only *one* copy of your precious pictures.

My current (adopted some years ago) isn't a current production model,
and has limitation probably not acceptable for a newly-chosen system.
I have an Iomega Fotoshow, which does basically the same thing but to
Zip disks (250MB; hence can handle only up to 256MB memory cards and
even then I have to find a couple of photos to delete if I really
filled it 100%). Now, a *single* zip disk is much LESS reliable than
a hard drive; but I can copy it to *two* (or more) zip disks, which
makes me feel a lot better.

My choice would be the laptop, with a CD-R drive. I'd burn at least
one CD of each batch of photos, plus keep the copy on the hard drive.
Ideally, one CD copy could be mailed home directly rather than carried
with me.

stan@temple.edu

David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My choice would be the laptop, with a CD-R drive. I'd burn at least
> one CD of each batch of photos, plus keep the copy on the hard drive.
> Ideally, one CD copy could be mailed home directly rather than carried
> with me.

That's what I do. My laptop is very light and it has a built in CD-RW/DVD-R
burner so I just bring some blank DVD media with me for backup purposes.

Joseph Meehan

Edit Edit Edit. Then Edit some more. Get rid of all the duplicate and
junk or second best shoots and you will be surprised at how much storage
space you have and your friends will be amazed at how your photography has
improved when they see only the best 10% or your work.

If needed stop by a photo shop or an internet cafe and have them
download all your photos to a CD and you will have all that space on your
cards freed up.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Dan Irwin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to go on a 6 week trip and i want to take alot of pictures.
> The olny poblem i have seem to run into is how to store this pics
> while on my trip. I'm not going to be taking my laptop along so i
> can't store them on a computer. Buying a lot of flash cards can get
> expensive, and i'm on a tight budget, so is there another option?
>
> thanks for the help,
>
> dan
>
> p.s.
>
> i'm taking 5-4 MegaPixel pics if it helps
> If it changes anything i'm using a

RustY

I use a Gmini from Archos - its the business.... Look at www.archos.com

--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

Anoni Moose

Also be sure to check out flash prices, esp Sandisk ones.

A 1-Gb card will be under $250, and that's quite a few
images. Probably around 350~450 on your camera. A good
many if you delete the obvious blurry ones (etc) each
night of the trip.

Mike.

Dan Irwin

Thx for the help, do you know of the name of any of those burners?

Pete <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>.. .
> On 21 Jun 2004 07:45:57 -0700, Dan Irwin wrote:
>
> > I'm about to go on a 6 week trip and i want to take alot of pictures.
> > The olny poblem i have seem to run into is how to store this pics
> > while on my trip. I'm not going to be taking my laptop along so i
> > can't store them on a computer. Buying a lot of flash cards can get
> > expensive, and i'm on a tight budget, so is there another option?

> Various companies offer portable hard drives and CD burners with built-in
> card readers, just for this purpose. I don't have any experience with them,
> but I believe some sell for under $300.
>
> Another approach would be to go to a small, independent computer store
> whenever your memory cards fill up, and have them burn a CD for you. (I
> have used these stores to burn CDs when I filled my laptop hard drive with
> photos!) It's also possible Kinko's and similar outlets can let you do the
> same thing.

Frank ess

These write to CD, read DVD; battery or ac convertor operated:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/RDS/RDS.HTM

Review of the same item with a different name:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...onics_mfr.html

I've had one for a few weeks. It works. My only wishes are: it should be
a little smaller and lighter; should fit in the very nice bag (supplied)
without removing the external battery. Barring that, no complaints. I
got mine from Addonics, two days turnaround from online order to front
doorstep. Right at $300 with an extra battery.