Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Degrading digital images

Degrading digital images

JoeB

The wife and I shot my co-workers wedding this past weekend. She uses
medium format film and I was taking digital candid shots for fun. I want to
show my other co-workers my digital prints, but I want to prevent any
unauthorized printing since some of my digital shots are almost indentical
to what my wife was taking. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements and I was
experimenting with batch processing. I copied the high res jpg images to
low res jpg images, downgraded the DPI and made sample images at 320 x ###,
400 x ### and 640 x ###. The 320 x ### are really small and when you zoom
in, they really look like crap. The 400 x ### are a little better and the
640 x ### are even better, but they still aren't as good and the original
high res images. What else can I do??

Skroob

you can add a watermark to them.

Add a semi-transparent line of text across the image and then save it back
out as a jepg. This way you can keep them at a good resolution to give to
people but it will always have your name stamped on them.

"JoeB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cb6jim$oe8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The wife and I shot my co-workers wedding this past weekend. She

uses
> medium format film and I was taking digital candid shots for fun. I want

> show my other co-workers my digital prints, but I want to prevent any
> unauthorized printing since some of my digital shots are almost indentical
> to what my wife was taking. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements and I was
> experimenting with batch processing. I copied the high res jpg images to
> low res jpg images, downgraded the DPI and made sample images at 320 x

###,
> 400 x ### and 640 x ###. The 320 x ### are really small and when you zoom
> in, they really look like crap. The 400 x ### are a little better and the
> 640 x ### are even better, but they still aren't as good and the original
> high res images. What else can I do??

Gene Palmiter

You want to discourage people from copying your work....so you make it look
like crap....still won't work....people steal and print crap too. The will
also scan and print your wife's work. By the way....is all your software
legal?

"JoeB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cb6jim$oe8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The wife and I shot my co-workers wedding this past weekend. She

uses
> medium format film and I was taking digital candid shots for fun. I want

> show my other co-workers my digital prints, but I want to prevent any
> unauthorized printing since some of my digital shots are almost indentical
> to what my wife was taking. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements and I was
> experimenting with batch processing. I copied the high res jpg images to
> low res jpg images, downgraded the DPI and made sample images at 320 x

###,
> 400 x ### and 640 x ###. The 320 x ### are really small and when you zoom
> in, they really look like crap. The 400 x ### are a little better and the
> 640 x ### are even better, but they still aren't as good and the original
> high res images. What else can I do??

JoeB

Can't they crop out the watermark???
"Skroob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%aBBc.120969$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> you can add a watermark to them.
>
> Add a semi-transparent line of text across the image and then save it back
> out as a jepg. This way you can keep them at a good resolution to give to
> people but it will always have your name stamped on them.
>

> "JoeB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cb6jim$oe8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The wife and I shot my co-workers wedding this past weekend. She

> uses
> > medium format film and I was taking digital candid shots for fun. I

want
> > show my other co-workers my digital prints, but I want to prevent any
> > unauthorized printing since some of my digital shots are almost

indentical
> > to what my wife was taking. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements and I was
> > experimenting with batch processing. I copied the high res jpg images

> > low res jpg images, downgraded the DPI and made sample images at 320 x

> ###,
> > 400 x ### and 640 x ###. The 320 x ### are really small and when you

zoom
> > in, they really look like crap. The 400 x ### are a little better and

the
> > 640 x ### are even better, but they still aren't as good and the

original
> > high res images. What else can I do??

JoeB

I know they can scan a photo, but a scanned copy doesn't look as good as the
original and I know some people just don't give a sh*t. And yes, my Adobe
software is legal.

"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4cBBc.13844$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You want to discourage people from copying your work....so you make it

look
> like crap....still won't work....people steal and print crap too. The will
> also scan and print your wife's work. By the way....is all your software
> legal?
>

> "JoeB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cb6jim$oe8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The wife and I shot my co-workers wedding this past weekend. She

> uses
> > medium format film and I was taking digital candid shots for fun. I

want
> > show my other co-workers my digital prints, but I want to prevent any
> > unauthorized printing since some of my digital shots are almost

indentical
> > to what my wife was taking. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements and I was
> > experimenting with batch processing. I copied the high res jpg images

> > low res jpg images, downgraded the DPI and made sample images at 320 x

> ###,
> > 400 x ### and 640 x ###. The 320 x ### are really small and when you

zoom
> > in, they really look like crap. The 400 x ### are a little better and

the
> > 640 x ### are even better, but they still aren't as good and the

original
> > high res images. What else can I do??

Skroob

not if you position it, say, diagonally across the entire image.
Your only other alternative to prevent your work being copied is to not give
it out in the first place.

"JoeB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cb6p13$q0v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can't they crop out the watermark???
> "Skroob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%aBBc.120969$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > you can add a watermark to them.
> >
> > Add a semi-transparent line of text across the image and then save it

back
> > out as a jepg. This way you can keep them at a good resolution to give

> > people but it will always have your name stamped on them.
> >

> > "JoeB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cb6jim$oe8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > The wife and I shot my co-workers wedding this past weekend. She

> > uses
> > > medium format film and I was taking digital candid shots for fun. I

> want
> > > show my other co-workers my digital prints, but I want to prevent any
> > > unauthorized printing since some of my digital shots are almost

> indentical
> > > to what my wife was taking. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements and I was
> > > experimenting with batch processing. I copied the high res jpg images

> > > low res jpg images, downgraded the DPI and made sample images at 320 x

> > ###,
> > > 400 x ### and 640 x ###. The 320 x ### are really small and when you

> zoom
> > > in, they really look like crap. The 400 x ### are a little better and

> the
> > > 640 x ### are even better, but they still aren't as good and the

> original
> > > high res images. What else can I do??

JoeB

Anybody ever create a PDF slideshow using Elements? Some security can be
added to the PDF file once it's created, but to add the security, I think
you need the full version of Adobe Acrobat, not just the Adobe Reader.
"JoeB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cb6jim$oe8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The wife and I shot my co-workers wedding this past weekend. She

uses
> medium format film and I was taking digital candid shots for fun. I want

> show my other co-workers my digital prints, but I want to prevent any
> unauthorized printing since some of my digital shots are almost indentical
> to what my wife was taking. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements and I was
> experimenting with batch processing. I copied the high res jpg images to
> low res jpg images, downgraded the DPI and made sample images at 320 x

###,
> 400 x ### and 640 x ###. The 320 x ### are really small and when you zoom
> in, they really look like crap. The 400 x ### are a little better and the
> 640 x ### are even better, but they still aren't as good and the original
> high res images. What else can I do??

kreb

Keith said:

You will never get anything better than what you start with.

One rule that should never be broken, in digital photography, your end
product will never be better than what you start with, never store
information, data, at a less resolution than what you want your finals to
look like, email standards are the least of the garbage takes.

No software will improve, to a good eye, on resolution, it is simply limited
to what it has to work with. Wedding pictures should be taken with the
widest, latitude settings, including resolution, so you can cut the heck out
of your roughs. The bride will, sure as shooting, want to see sharp button
on her dress, now you know what that means, be prepared to take the widest
shot and then be prepared to cut, cut, and cut. "And", well they should
with the price of the finished product.

As for security, we all take our risks, never give out the disks, cd, even
to your best friend to view on their computer ,discs given to your best
friend ends up getting copied, by those who say, "I will never give it out
to anyone" if we believe that then ...

Keith

..

"JoeB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cb6jim$oe8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The wife and I shot my co-workers wedding this past weekend. She

uses
> medium format film and I was taking digital candid shots for fun. I want

> show my other co-workers my digital prints, but I want to prevent any
> unauthorized printing since some of my digital shots are almost indentical
> to what my wife was taking. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements and I was
> experimenting with batch processing. I copied the high res jpg images to
> low res jpg images, downgraded the DPI and made sample images at 320 x

###,
> 400 x ### and 640 x ###. The 320 x ### are really small and when you zoom
> in, they really look like crap. The 400 x ### are a little better and the
> 640 x ### are even better, but they still aren't as good and the original
> high res images. What else can I do??

Darrell Larose

They can but when you put it across a face...

"JoeB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cb6p13$q0v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can't they crop out the watermark???
> "Skroob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%aBBc.120969$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > you can add a watermark to them.
> >
> > Add a semi-transparent line of text across the image and then save it

back
> > out as a jepg. This way you can keep them at a good resolution to give

> > people but it will always have your name stamped on them.
> >

> > "JoeB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cb6jim$oe8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > The wife and I shot my co-workers wedding this past weekend. She

> > uses
> > > medium format film and I was taking digital candid shots for fun. I

> want
> > > show my other co-workers my digital prints, but I want to prevent any
> > > unauthorized printing since some of my digital shots are almost

> indentical
> > > to what my wife was taking. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements and I was
> > > experimenting with batch processing. I copied the high res jpg images

> > > low res jpg images, downgraded the DPI and made sample images at 320 x

> > ###,
> > > 400 x ### and 640 x ###. The 320 x ### are really small and when you

> zoom
> > > in, they really look like crap. The 400 x ### are a little better and

> the
> > > 640 x ### are even better, but they still aren't as good and the

> original
> > > high res images. What else can I do??

Alex Hunsley

kreb wrote:

> Keith said:
>
> You will never get anything better than what you start with.
>
> One rule that should never be broken, in digital photography, your end

^^^^^^
> product will never be better than what you start with, never store
> information, data, at a less resolution than what you want your finals to
> look like, email standards are the least of the garbage takes.

should? *can't*!