Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Adobe Photoshop Eletments or Regular Photoshop

Adobe Photoshop Eletments or Regular Photoshop

Kenneth Maultsby

I am a new at editing digital prints. What I want to do is to create a
digital slide show of my parent and grandparents old black & white and early
color pictures of the past sixty years. I want to scan them and correct any
flaws place them in a file and edit them to a CD or DVD. Would Photoshop
Elements be good enough to do this or do I need to get the High End
Photoshop. I would like to keep the price low. Plus how much is Photoshop
Pro going for I think it is now call CS.

Don

Elements will be fine.

Don

"Kenneth Maultsby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0MsBc.18993$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am a new at editing digital prints. What I want to do is to create a
> digital slide show of my parent and grandparents old black & white and

early
> color pictures of the past sixty years. I want to scan them and correct

any
> flaws place them in a file and edit them to a CD or DVD. Would Photoshop
> Elements be good enough to do this or do I need to get the High End
> Photoshop. I would like to keep the price low. Plus how much is

Photoshop
> Pro going for I think it is now call CS.

Kenneth Maultsby

Thanks
"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Elements will be fine.
>
> Don
>

> "Kenneth Maultsby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0MsBc.18993$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am a new at editing digital prints. What I want to do is to create a
> > digital slide show of my parent and grandparents old black & white and

> early
> > color pictures of the past sixty years. I want to scan them and correct

> any
> > flaws place them in a file and edit them to a CD or DVD. Would Photoshop
> > Elements be good enough to do this or do I need to get the High End
> > Photoshop. I would like to keep the price low. Plus how much is

> Photoshop
> > Pro going for I think it is now call CS.

Ron Risman

Hi Ken,

Adobe Photoshop Elements should be fine for the task. If you want to take
out scratches or cracks that run through many old photographs then you might
benefit from the 'healing" tool found in Photoshop 7.0. You can use the
clone tool for this however for this task the healing tool allows for
quicker fixes.

Ron Risman
http://www.cameratown.com

"Kenneth Maultsby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0MsBc.18993$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am a new at editing digital prints. What I want to do is to create a
> digital slide show of my parent and grandparents old black & white and

early
> color pictures of the past sixty years. I want to scan them and correct

any
> flaws place them in a file and edit them to a CD or DVD. Would Photoshop
> Elements be good enough to do this or do I need to get the High End
> Photoshop. I would like to keep the price low. Plus how much is

Photoshop
> Pro going for I think it is now call CS.

Ken Oaf

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 03:39:40 GMT, "Kenneth Maultsby" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I am a new at editing digital prints. What I want to do is to create a
> digital slide show of my parent and grandparents old black & white and early
> color pictures of the past sixty years. I want to scan them and correct any
> flaws place them in a file and edit them to a CD or DVD. Would Photoshop
> Elements be good enough to do this or do I need to get the High End
> Photoshop. I would like to keep the price low. Plus how much is Photoshop
> Pro going for I think it is now call CS.

Have a look at Paint Shop Pro v8 instead of the Adobe products.

Ron Hunter

Kenneth Maultsby wrote:
> I am a new at editing digital prints. What I want to do is to create a
> digital slide show of my parent and grandparents old black & white and early
> color pictures of the past sixty years. I want to scan them and correct any
> flaws place them in a file and edit them to a CD or DVD. Would Photoshop
> Elements be good enough to do this or do I need to get the High End
> Photoshop. I would like to keep the price low. Plus how much is Photoshop
> Pro going for I think it is now call CS.

PSE 2.0 will do the job quite well. Note that for either PS product
there is a farily steep learning curve, but you should be able to do
quite well with the cheaper product for this usage.

Bill Hilton

>From: "Kenneth Maultsby" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>I am a new at editing digital prints.
>
>I would like to keep the price low.

Two good reasons to get Elements instead of Photoshop. Elements will do the
things you mentioned just fine.

Luk

Kenneth Maultsby wrote:

> I am a new at editing digital prints. What I want to do is to create a
> digital slide show of my parent and grandparents old black & white and early
> color pictures of the past sixty years. I want to scan them and correct any
> flaws place them in a file and edit them to a CD or DVD. Would Photoshop
> Elements be good enough to do this or do I need to get the High End
> Photoshop.

Just finished the same project you're about to start.
I used Photoshop Elements 2 and have been more than
pleased. A couple of the original photographs were
so damaged I had to settle for less than a perfect result.
They were 100 years old. (I doubt PS CS would
have done them better.) The rest cleaned up nicely.
It's a fascinating project and does take time.

Luk

Kenneth Maultsby

Thanks all for the feedback. I have another question which you may know or
may not know will Eletments work with Adobe Premiere I know Photoshop 7.0
and CS will for editing audio and pictures for video CD or DVD?

"Kenneth Maultsby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0MsBc.18993$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am a new at editing digital prints. What I want to do is to create a
> digital slide show of my parent and grandparents old black & white and

early
> color pictures of the past sixty years. I want to scan them and correct

any
> flaws place them in a file and edit them to a CD or DVD. Would Photoshop
> Elements be good enough to do this or do I need to get the High End
> Photoshop. I would like to keep the price low. Plus how much is

Photoshop
> Pro going for I think it is now call CS.

nixjunk

>PSE 2.0 will do the job quite well. Note that for either PS product
>there is a farily steep learning curve, but you should be able to do
>quite well with the cheaper product for this usage.

Forget Adobe and try Paint Shop Pro 8. Easy to use and much more powerful than
Elements and often cheaper.