Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connected to Network, but not Internet

Connected to Network, but not Internet

=?Utf-8?B?ZW5z?=

Cable connected to Linksys router, Desktop connected thru ethernet cable.
Laptop with Orinoco wireless card (latest driver). No firewall started. Says
excellent connection to network. Can ping router and desktop now. But still
no connection to internet. Have tried turning on and off the WZC utility.
The Configuration Utility that comes with the new driver is useless cause all
the buttons to add profiles and anything else are all disabled (with the WZC
on or off).
Any help greatly appreciated. Have tried working with support from Proxim
but guess they've given up.

Arnold

Make sure your gateway IP address on your workstation is set to the
router's IP address. If you have DHCP turned on on your router, make
sure your router is assigning the right addresses and gateway.

Arnold..

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:36:30 -0800, ens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Cable connected to Linksys router, Desktop connected thru ethernet cable.
>Laptop with Orinoco wireless card (latest driver). No firewall started. Says
>excellent connection to network. Can ping router and desktop now. But still
>no connection to internet. Have tried turning on and off the WZC utility.
>The Configuration Utility that comes with the new driver is useless cause all
>the buttons to add profiles and anything else are all disabled (with the WZC
>on or off).
>Any help greatly appreciated. Have tried working with support from Proxim
>but guess they've given up.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?=

Security (WEP, WPA-TSK) turned on for the router ??

MD

"ens" wrote:

> Cable connected to Linksys router, Desktop connected thru ethernet cable.
> Laptop with Orinoco wireless card (latest driver). No firewall started. Says
> excellent connection to network. Can ping router and desktop now. But still
> no connection to internet. Have tried turning on and off the WZC utility.
> The Configuration Utility that comes with the new driver is useless cause all
> the buttons to add profiles and anything else are all disabled (with the WZC
> on or off).
> Any help greatly appreciated. Have tried working with support from Proxim
> but guess they've given up.

=?Utf-8?B?ZW5z?=

All security turned off. No WEP. All the IPs are correct for the router.
Laptop has XP Pro SP2 with latest updates. As I said, I can ping router and
the desktop, but can't access the desktop from Laptop.

"MadDog" wrote:

> Security (WEP, WPA-TSK) turned on for the router ??
>
> MD
>

> "ens" wrote:
>
> > Cable connected to Linksys router, Desktop connected thru ethernet cable.
> > Laptop with Orinoco wireless card (latest driver). No firewall started. Says
> > excellent connection to network. Can ping router and desktop now. But still
> > no connection to internet. Have tried turning on and off the WZC utility.
> > The Configuration Utility that comes with the new driver is useless cause all
> > the buttons to add profiles and anything else are all disabled (with the WZC
> > on or off).
> > Any help greatly appreciated. Have tried working with support from Proxim
> > but guess they've given up.

Diamontina Cocktail

"ens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Cable connected to Linksys router, Desktop connected thru ethernet cable.
> Laptop with Orinoco wireless card (latest driver). No firewall started.
> Says
> excellent connection to network. Can ping router and desktop now. But
> still
> no connection to internet. Have tried turning on and off the WZC utility.
> The Configuration Utility that comes with the new driver is useless cause
> all
> the buttons to add profiles and anything else are all disabled (with the
> WZC
> on or off).

Yeah, they WOULD be disabled until you turn the Windows one off which, even
though you may think is off, may not be.

Personally, I would try reinstalling the wireless NIC driver from scratch.
Also the network. Once the driver is done, set up the network with no
firewall OR encryption.

If that fails to yield a result, you may have to reset the router physically
and then pull the power plug out of it for a good 30 seconds then put it
back in, setup your Internet again and then setup the network.

You see, the old "cant see the forest for the trees" saying comes in here.
You may have made a mistake but cant see it.

=?Utf-8?B?ZW5z?=

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried several times to uninstall the
whole wireless card and reinstall to no avail. May just have to reload from
scratch. If the WZC says it is stopped in windows services, would it not be
stopped? How else can you tell? I've even disabled it in the startup. My
Linksys card was working fine here at home, but on the road trying to connect
to an unsecured network gave me these same symtoms. Connected, but no
internet accesss. That's why I bought this besides the fact the Linksys
doesn't seem to have a true xp compatible driver.

"Diamontina Cocktail" wrote:

> "ens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Cable connected to Linksys router, Desktop connected thru ethernet cable.
> > Laptop with Orinoco wireless card (latest driver). No firewall started.
> > Says
> > excellent connection to network. Can ping router and desktop now. But
> > still
> > no connection to internet. Have tried turning on and off the WZC utility.
> > The Configuration Utility that comes with the new driver is useless cause
> > all
> > the buttons to add profiles and anything else are all disabled (with the
> > WZC
> > on or off).

> Yeah, they WOULD be disabled until you turn the Windows one off which, even
> though you may think is off, may not be.
>
> Personally, I would try reinstalling the wireless NIC driver from scratch.
> Also the network. Once the driver is done, set up the network with no
> firewall OR encryption.
>
> If that fails to yield a result, you may have to reset the router physically
> and then pull the power plug out of it for a good 30 seconds then put it
> back in, setup your Internet again and then setup the network.
>
> You see, the old "cant see the forest for the trees" saying comes in here.
> You may have made a mistake but cant see it.

Diamontina Cocktail

"ens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried several times to uninstall the
> whole wireless card and reinstall to no avail. May just have to reload
> from
> scratch. If the WZC says it is stopped in windows services, would it not
> be
> stopped? How else can you tell? I've even disabled it in the startup.
> My
> Linksys card was working fine here at home, but on the road trying to
> connect
> to an unsecured network gave me these same symtoms. Connected, but no
> internet accesss. That's why I bought this besides the fact the Linksys
> doesn't seem to have a true xp compatible driver.

OH now I think I see. If you come across an unsecured network and can
connect to it but not get internet, it simply may be that they have pulled
the ADSL plug out of their modem before you found that network thus no
internet possible. Where I live, being Summer starting tomorrow, it is now
well and truly into the lightning storm season and as we all know, if you
are going to get surge damage without a direct strike, it is more likely to
be up the phone line than anywhere else. While my damage would be limited to
the modem itself seeing the rest is wireless, I still don't want to lose it.
So, when I am not using internet I pull the phone plug from the router. It
is extremely likely that you will get storm damage here.

Another thing is that you may have someone who has set their wi-fi up
without an access list so that you can connect only.

=?Utf-8?B?ZW5z?=

Thanks for your efforts. This is a cable modem. It is on my home
network/internet I'm trying to connect to. Still not able to figure it out.
My case with Proxim has been handed to somebody else, so maybe I'll get some
help. If you can think of anything else I might try, I'm very willing to
listen.
A dumb question - How would I uninstall the network?? (you mentioned in a

"Diamontina Cocktail" wrote:

> "ens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried several times to uninstall the
> > whole wireless card and reinstall to no avail. May just have to reload
> > from
> > scratch. If the WZC says it is stopped in windows services, would it not
> > be
> > stopped? How else can you tell? I've even disabled it in the startup.
> > My
> > Linksys card was working fine here at home, but on the road trying to
> > connect
> > to an unsecured network gave me these same symtoms. Connected, but no
> > internet accesss. That's why I bought this besides the fact the Linksys
> > doesn't seem to have a true xp compatible driver.
> >

> OH now I think I see. If you come across an unsecured network and can
> connect to it but not get internet, it simply may be that they have pulled
> the ADSL plug out of their modem before you found that network thus no
> internet possible. Where I live, being Summer starting tomorrow, it is now
> well and truly into the lightning storm season and as we all know, if you
> are going to get surge damage without a direct strike, it is more likely to
> be up the phone line than anywhere else. While my damage would be limited to
> the modem itself seeing the rest is wireless, I still don't want to lose it.
> So, when I am not using internet I pull the phone plug from the router. It
> is extremely likely that you will get storm damage here.
>
> Another thing is that you may have someone who has set their wi-fi up
> without an access list so that you can connect only.

Diamontina Cocktail

"ens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your efforts. This is a cable modem. It is on my home
> network/internet I'm trying to connect to. Still not able to figure it
> out.
> My case with Proxim has been handed to somebody else, so maybe I'll get
> some
> help. If you can think of anything else I might try, I'm very willing to
> listen.
> A dumb question - How would I uninstall the network?? (you mentioned in a

Just go to the NIC and uninstall it.

However, you may have a cablemodem set to an ISP for example. Optus do that
in Australia. They fiddle the innards of Dlink 302Gs for example so that it
will work for 30 mins with another ISP and never again. You have to get a
rewrite from Dlink in the form of an exe as Optus remove the upgrade line
from the modem's innards, too. If your modem has been fiddled that way, you
have to go back to the modem manufacturer and ask for help.

Ed.

A lot times installing or uninstalling some programs or some windows updates
makes those icons disappear. It happens to me at times.

I just uncheck from showing and then check it again and it they appear.

To do so:

Go to My Computer.
On left go to Control Panel.
If it opens in Classic View,
Click on the Network Connections icon.
If it opens in Category View,
Click on Network and Internet Connections.
Click on Network Connections.
Right click on your Network Connection.
Click on Properties.
Take the check out of "Show icon in notification area when connected" and
Apply.
Now put it back in and then Apply.
It should reappear unless your computer is using other third party software
from it's manufacturer instead of XP to handle your Network stuff.
Good Luck.

news:eGeo%(E-Mail Removed)...