Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > zoom lens Nikkor vs. Sigma vs. Tamron??

zoom lens Nikkor vs. Sigma vs. Tamron??

W Chan

hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
yrs.
i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

--
* * * To reply, please email to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
This is a security measure to reduce spams and unsolicited junk mails.

gsum

You have a great camera. It needs the glass to do it justice. Stay
with mid/high range Nikkor - don't even think about anything else.
I have a Sigma 20mm f1.8 in my collection. It is nowhere near as
robust as my Nikkors and has two serious design faults, one of which
could damage the camera. The lens can be very easily slipped into
gear and the focus ring is loose and not sealed against grit.

Graham

"W Chan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
> yrs.
> i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
> comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will
>

> --
> * * * To reply, please email to (E-Mail Removed)
> This is a security measure to reduce spams and unsolicited junk mails.
> Cheers.

Richard Cockburn

"W Chan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:aibAc.739462$Pk3.530185@pd7tw1no:

> hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
> yrs.
> i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
> comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

It is generally best to use the lenses made by the manufacturer of your
camera, especially with newer bodies like yours. Third party lenses are
usually not quite as good, and there can be chip compatibility problems.
Stick with the Nikkor glass.

--
"Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

-Richard Cockburn

Scott Schuckert

In article <aibAc.739462$Pk3.530185@pd7tw1no>, W Chan
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
> comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

By all means get the Nikkors if you can afford the focal lengths you
want. They're spectacular at their best, and even the "lemons" (old
43-86, for example) are usable.

That said, I've had a lot of good experience with Tamron, especially at
the long end. I love my current 200-400, and they're coming out with a
new 200-500 to replace it.

Sigma? I've never used one for long, and wasn't impressed during short
trials. They have a reputation for interface problems (especially the
Canon mount)

Randall Ainsworth

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
> yrs.
> i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
> comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

If you waste your money on anything but Nikon lenses, you will be
disappointed, especially if you go with Sigma.

Paul Howland

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
> In article <aibAc.739462$Pk3.530185@pd7tw1no>, W Chan
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
>>yrs.
>>i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
>>comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

> If you waste your money on anything but Nikon lenses, you will be
> disappointed, especially if you go with Sigma.

Not true. There are some very good Sigma lenses in the collection - the
70-200/2.8 and 12-24 spring to mind. These offer an excellent
alternative to someone wanting something better than Nikkor's budget
offerings, but not able to afford/justify the premium VR lenses.
Certainly with both these Sigma lenses the majority of reviewers regard
the optical and build quality as excellent. The vast majority of Nikon
D70 owners would be delighted with these lenses. Nikon lenses are
great, but don't let brand loyalty blind you to other excellent
alternatives. This does not apply to all Sigma lenses - as always, do
your research - but there are some gems in the collection, perfect for
those looking for a mid-price lense (ie. around $1000 rather than $300
or $3000).

Paul

(D70 owner, with Nikkor 18-70, 50/1.8 and Sigma 70-200 HSM)

Paul Howland

gsum wrote:

> You have a great camera. It needs the glass to do it justice. Stay
> with mid/high range Nikkor - don't even think about anything else.
> I have a Sigma 20mm f1.8 in my collection. It is nowhere near as
> robust as my Nikkors and has two serious design faults, one of which
> could damage the camera. The lens can be very easily slipped into
> gear and the focus ring is loose and not sealed against grit.
>
> Graham

This is not true of all Sigma lenses. I have the 70-200/2.8 HSM and it
is a fantastic lenses and can't be matched by any Nikkor glass at the
same price range (sure, the 70-200VR is better in low light, but it's
$1000 more). The Sigma 12-24 is also an excellent lens.

You need to take each lens on a case-by-case basis and do careful
Internet research. Choosing blindly by brand name is a bad choice
whatever the brand, unless money is no object.

David Dyer-Bennet

"W Chan" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
> yrs.
> i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
> comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

Don't buy the D-70 body only; the kit lens that's available only with
it is an excellent buy, and you'll want it.

Doug Payne

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> Don't buy the D-70 body only; the kit lens that's available only with
> it is an excellent buy, and you'll want it.

"Only with it"??? If you're referring to the 18-70 f/3.5-4.5, it's available
all over the place, at least in the US and Canada. All by itself, no camera
attached. And yes, it's a good buy, whether or not you buy a D70.

Skip M

"W Chan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
> yrs.
> i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
> comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will
>

> --
> * * * To reply, please email to (E-Mail Removed)
> This is a security measure to reduce spams and unsolicited junk mails.
> Cheers.

You should take a look at Tokina, too. Possibly ahead of Sigma...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com