Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Unsharp mask on luminance channel in lab mode?

Unsharp mask on luminance channel in lab mode?

no

Is this more effective than just doing unsharp mask on an RGB image?

David Kilpatrick

no wrote:

> Is this more effective than just doing unsharp mask on an RGB image?

It's lower noise and cleaner.

David

Bill Hilton

>From: "no" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>Is this more effective than just doing unsharp mask on an RGB image?

As David said it does have advantages (and I use a custom action by Bill
Atkinson to do edge sharpening in LAB mode myself).

If you don't want to convert to LAB mode though you can get a similar effect by
doing this step immediately after you run USM in RGB mode ... Edit > Fade
Unsharp Mask and change Mode to Luminosity. You have to do this as the next
step after USM since the Edit > Fade command only works on the last command.

Bill

Lionel

Kibo informs me that "no" <(E-Mail Removed)> stated that:

>Is this more effective than just doing unsharp mask on an RGB image?

Yes, because it doen't cause colour distortion. I always do any
sharpening in only the luma channel.