Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > The Human Eye: 120 Megapixel Monochrome, 6 Megapixel Color

The Human Eye: 120 Megapixel Monochrome, 6 Megapixel Color

Brian C. Baird

Just in case anyone still doubts the Bayer method for producing digital
images. If it's good enough for Mother Nature, it sure as hell is good
enough for your digital camera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_cell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_cell

http://retina.umh.es/Webvision/photo2.html#densities

mobilevil

but ur eye scan and your brain do image combine.
6M color isn't enough for a photo
"Brian C. Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Just in case anyone still doubts the Bayer method for producing digital
> images. If it's good enough for Mother Nature, it sure as hell is good
> enough for your digital camera.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_cell
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_cell
>
> http://retina.umh.es/Webvision/photo2.html#densities

gsum

Exactly! And that's why it IS enough.

Graham

"mobilevil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> but ur eye scan and your brain do image combine.
> 6M color isn't enough for a photo
> "Brian C. Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > Just in case anyone still doubts the Bayer method for producing digital
> > images. If it's good enough for Mother Nature, it sure as hell is good
> > enough for your digital camera.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_cell
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_cell
> >
> > http://retina.umh.es/Webvision/photo2.html#densities

Darrell Larose

Unlike a Bayer or Foveon chip, the eye has two types of sensors (rods &
cones). Rods are the low light, blue sensitive sensors. There are
120,000,000 rods, but only about 6,000,000 cones which are the colour
sensors. Cones are also the high light sensors. The brain combines these to
from an image. So doesn't work really like a Bayer sensor.

"Brian C. Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Just in case anyone still doubts the Bayer method for producing digital
> images. If it's good enough for Mother Nature, it sure as hell is good
> enough for your digital camera.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_cell
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_cell
>
> http://retina.umh.es/Webvision/photo2.html#densities

Ron Hunter

mobilevil wrote:
> but ur eye scan and your brain do image combine.
> 6M color isn't enough for a photo
> "Brian C. Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>>Just in case anyone still doubts the Bayer method for producing digital
>>images. If it's good enough for Mother Nature, it sure as hell is good
>>enough for your digital camera.
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_cell
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_cell
>>
>>http://retina.umh.es/Webvision/photo2.html#densities

No? Then what is going to be LOOKING at the picture? Certainly if the
ability of the eye to produce an image is matched by the camera, there
is no benefit to be had by improving the camera unless you know some
extraterrestrials who want to look at your photos....

Ron Hunter

Darrell Larose wrote:

> Unlike a Bayer or Foveon chip, the eye has two types of sensors (rods &
> cones). Rods are the low light, blue sensitive sensors. There are
> 120,000,000 rods, but only about 6,000,000 cones which are the colour
> sensors. Cones are also the high light sensors. The brain combines these to
> from an image. So doesn't work really like a Bayer sensor.
>
> "Brian C. Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>>Just in case anyone still doubts the Bayer method for producing digital
>>images. If it's good enough for Mother Nature, it sure as hell is good
>>enough for your digital camera.
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_cell
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_cell
>>
>>http://retina.umh.es/Webvision/photo2.html#densities

It works EXACTLY like a Bayer sensor because that is why the sensor was
designed as it was, it matches the human visual apparatus.

gsum

But the effect is similar in that Bayer provides 4 times as much luminance
(and resolution) information as colour information.

Foveon blindly records colour and luminance at the same resolution and
this has the effect of reducing the efficiency of the sensor as information
that is not needed is provided.

Graham

"Darrell Larose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9SDzc.267546$(E-Mail Removed) .cable.rogers.com...
> Unlike a Bayer or Foveon chip, the eye has two types of sensors (rods &
> cones). Rods are the low light, blue sensitive sensors. There are
> 120,000,000 rods, but only about 6,000,000 cones which are the colour
> sensors. Cones are also the high light sensors. The brain combines these

> from an image. So doesn't work really like a Bayer sensor.

Paul Fedorenko

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:28:16 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>No? Then what is going to be LOOKING at the picture? Certainly if the
>ability of the eye to produce an image is matched by the camera, there
>is no benefit to be had by improving the camera unless you know some
>extraterrestrials who want to look at your photos....

Why would the extraterrestrials necessarily have better vision than a
human? Fact that they evolved on a different planet doesn't
automatically mean they can't be almost blind... Perhaps they have
CCD's cybernetically implanted to enhance their vision...

But I digress...

Brian C. Baird

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, kccheng@kachun-
uknowwhat.com says...
> but ur eye scan and your brain do image combine.

What now?

Are you trying to communicate with your poor typing skills that the eye
and human brain INTERPOLATE color?

> 6M color isn't enough for a photo

Tell that too the photos hanging on my wall.

Brian C. Baird

In article <9SDzc.267546$Ar.104243
@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Unlike a Bayer or Foveon chip, the eye has two types of sensors (rods &
> cones). Rods are the low light, blue sensitive sensors. There are
> 120,000,000 rods, but only about 6,000,000 cones which are the colour
> sensors. Cones are also the high light sensors. The brain combines these to
> from an image. So doesn't work really like a Bayer sensor.

Well, that wasn't my point. The point was the eye/brain uses three
types of cones to interpolate color - much as a Bayer sensor does.