Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > About to buy a maha charger: advice please

About to buy a maha charger: advice please

spodosaurus

Hi all,

I'm about to order a Maha charger (with batteries and the "world kit")
from www.thomasdistributing.com. They have three Maha chargers available:

MH-C401FS
MH-C204F220
MH-204 GT

What are the differences?
Which would YOU choose?
I'll be using the charger to recharge 1700, 1850, and 2200 NiMH AA
batteries for use with a digital camera predominantly but also for other
household and computer equipment.

TIA,

Ari

--
remove the underscores to unmung the email address...

spodosaurus

spodosaurus wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm about to order a Maha charger (with batteries and the "world kit")
> from www.thomasdistributing.com. They have three Maha chargers available:
>
> MH-C401FS
> MH-C204F220
> MH-204 GT
>
> What are the differences?

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mh-compare.htm

I'm leaning towards the 401. However, looking down the list it says the
401 doesn't have "battery conditioner" and "discharge capability". What
is a "battery conditioner" feature? How useful are these two features?

--
remove the underscores to unmung the email address...

Phil Wheeler

spodosaurus wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm about to order a Maha charger (with batteries and the "world kit")
> from www.thomasdistributing.com. They have three Maha chargers available:
>
> MH-C401FS
> MH-C204F220
> MH-204 GT
>
> What are the differences?
> Which would YOU choose?

I've had the C204F for several years and still use it. I recently
upgraded to the C401 which is the best current model. That's what I
recommend.

The Thomas Distributing site describes the two in detail and the
differences as I recall (that's who I purchased from).

Phil

David Dyer-Bennet

spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> writes:

> spodosaurus wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm about to order a Maha charger (with batteries and the "world
>> kit") from www.thomasdistributing.com. They have three Maha chargers
>> available:
>> MH-C401FS
>> MH-C204F220
>> MH-204 GT
>> What are the differences?

> http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mh-compare.htm
>
> I'm leaning towards the 401. However, looking down the list it says
> the 401 doesn't have "battery conditioner" and "discharge
> capability". What is a "battery conditioner" feature? How useful are
> these two features?

Probably not important with modern NiMH batteries. And less likely to
be important with the 401, which has a better charging circuit. I
upgraded my 204 to a 401 a while ago, and am very happy.

In addition to better charging circuitry and 4 individual channels
instead of two two-battery channels, it also has a fast-charge mode
for those times when you really need to hurry.

Ron Hunter

spodosaurus wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm about to order a Maha charger (with batteries and the "world kit")
> from www.thomasdistributing.com. They have three Maha chargers available:
>
> MH-C401FS
> MH-C204F220
> MH-204 GT
>
> What are the differences?
> Which would YOU choose?
> I'll be using the charger to recharge 1700, 1850, and 2200 NiMH AA
> batteries for use with a digital camera predominantly but also for other
> household and computer equipment.
>
> TIA,
>
> Ari

I am not sure what models have what features, but ideally, chose one
that charges each battery seperately, rather than in pairs. All the
Maha chargers are 'smart' chargers, but being able to monitor each
battery is a definite benefit.

PC Medic

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> spodosaurus wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm about to order a Maha charger (with batteries and the "world kit")
> > from www.thomasdistributing.com. They have three Maha chargers

available:

> > MH-C401FS
> > MH-C204F220
> > MH-204 GT
> >
> > What are the differences?

> http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mh-compare.htm
>
> I'm leaning towards the 401. However, looking down the list it says the
> 401 doesn't have "battery conditioner" and "discharge capability". What
> is a "battery conditioner" feature? How useful are these two features?
>
> > Which would YOU choose?
> > I'll be using the charger to recharge 1700, 1850, and 2200 NiMH AA
> > batteries for use with a digital camera predominantly but also for other
> > household and computer equipment.
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Ari

I have been using the 204F for a couple years and it is great.
It is with some batteries a good idea to 'fully' discharge them prior to
charging. The battery conditioner' feature allows you to do this by pressing
a small button on the charge. It then goes into a discharge mode fully
draining the batteries and then automatically switches over to charge mode.
I would not have a charger without this feature.

Phil Wheeler

Ron Hunter wrote:
> spodosaurus wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm about to order a Maha charger (with batteries and the "world kit")
>> from www.thomasdistributing.com. They have three Maha chargers available:
>>
>> MH-C401FS
>> MH-C204F220
>> MH-204 GT
>>
>> What are the differences?
>> Which would YOU choose?
>> I'll be using the charger to recharge 1700, 1850, and 2200 NiMH AA
>> batteries for use with a digital camera predominantly but also for
>> other household and computer equipment.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Ari
>>

> I am not sure what models have what features, but ideally, chose one
> that charges each battery seperately, rather than in pairs. All the
> Maha chargers are 'smart' chargers, but being able to monitor each
> battery is a definite benefit.

The 401 does them singly; the 204 in pairs.