Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Re: testbench techniques

Re: testbench techniques

FMF

Adam,

In addition to the other suggestions you got, consider including models
of the components your FPGA interfaces with as part of your verification
environment. The Free Model Foundry (http://www.FreeModelFoundry.com)
offers many models built for just this purpose. And, as the name
implies, they will not cost a thing.

Regards,
Rick

mindenpilot wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm about to embark on my second large FPGA project.
> The first one was a success, with very few bugs.
> However, my testbenches were somewhat of a hack.
> I simply modeled whatever the UUT was interfacing to, then looked at the
> timing diagrams.
>
> I'd like to design more comprehensive tests, and I'm sure there are proper
> techniques for this.
> For example, I didn't even use any text output.
> I'm sure my old approach will work for this new design, but I'd like to
> improve.
>
> Part of the problem is that FPGAs are new to our company.
> Mine was the first project to use one.
> We have no expertise, and I am trying to make sure that our foundation is
> solid.
>
> So, if you have expertise, and would like to share what has worked for you,
> I would appreciate it.
> Or, if you have references that you find useful, that would work, too.
>
> I know there are books about testbenches out there.
> But what I'm looking for is a few rules of thumb that are best practices
> (kind of like the commandments that were posted here).
>
> Regards,
>
> Adam

mindenpilot

Wow, what a great resource.
Thanks for the input.
Part of my current design includes an SDRAM controller, and I saw a model
for it in there.
That should really help with the testbench.
Thanks for pointing this out!

Regards,

Adam Weiss

"FMF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Adam,
>
> In addition to the other suggestions you got, consider including models of
> the components your FPGA interfaces with as part of your verification
> environment. The Free Model Foundry (http://www.FreeModelFoundry.com)
> offers many models built for just this purpose. And, as the name implies,
> they will not cost a thing.
>
> Regards,
> Rick
>

> mindenpilot wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I'm about to embark on my second large FPGA project.
>> The first one was a success, with very few bugs.
>> However, my testbenches were somewhat of a hack.
>> I simply modeled whatever the UUT was interfacing to, then looked at the
>> timing diagrams.
>>
>> I'd like to design more comprehensive tests, and I'm sure there are
>> proper techniques for this.
>> For example, I didn't even use any text output.
>> I'm sure my old approach will work for this new design, but I'd like to
>> improve.
>>
>> Part of the problem is that FPGAs are new to our company.
>> Mine was the first project to use one.
>> We have no expertise, and I am trying to make sure that our foundation is
>> solid.
>>
>> So, if you have expertise, and would like to share what has worked for
>> you, I would appreciate it.
>> Or, if you have references that you find useful, that would work, too.
>>
>> I know there are books about testbenches out there.
>> But what I'm looking for is a few rules of thumb that are best practices
>> (kind of like the commandments that were posted here).
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Adam

Advanced Synthesis Techniques Benjamin Todd VHDL 4 05-16-2005 03:58 PM
OT: Study Techniques Leigh Kendall MCSD 10 11-17-2003 09:27 PM
sorting techniques Ashish VHDL 0 11-15-2003 09:30 AM
Re: Classic Repost: Shoe shine techniques for MCSE job Interview =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?= MCSE 0 08-18-2003 12:31 PM
Re: OT: Classic Repost: Shoe shine techniques for MCSE job Interview azimuth40 MCSE 1 08-18-2003 07:53 AM

Advertisments