Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony digital camera and computer with no USB port

Sony digital camera and computer with no USB port

Angelcats

I think there's an easy answer to this, but I'm having trouble finding
it.

My [older] father bought my [older]mother a Sony DSC P3 camera; the
problem is, they have an older model computer. It's a Compaq Presario
desktop, running on Windows 98, and only has serial ports, no USB
ports.

Is there an adaptor they can purchase to enable them to upload their
photos, and what specifically is that called (I don't live near them,
so can't accompany them to the store).

Thanks.

Brian Sullivan

Angelcats wrote:
> I think there's an easy answer to this, but I'm having trouble finding
> it.
>
> My [older] father bought my [older]mother a Sony DSC P3 camera; the
> problem is, they have an older model computer. It's a Compaq Presario
> desktop, running on Windows 98, and only has serial ports, no USB
> ports.
>
> Is there an adaptor they can purchase to enable them to upload their
> photos, and what specifically is that called (I don't live near them,
> so can't accompany them to the store).
>
> Thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/26g2y

or

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...190811-2099048

has some PCI USB card options from Amazon

but USB software support is spotty on Win98 so even with the hardware it may
not work.

--
Brian Sullivan
Courses by Wire ( http://www.coursesbywire.com)

Mark Weaver

"Angelcats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I think there's an easy answer to this, but I'm having trouble finding
> it.
>
> My [older] father bought my [older]mother a Sony DSC P3 camera; the
> problem is, they have an older model computer. It's a Compaq Presario
> desktop, running on Windows 98, and only has serial ports, no USB
> ports.
>
> Is there an adaptor they can purchase to enable them to upload their
> photos, and what specifically is that called (I don't live near them,
> so can't accompany them to the store).

Your best bet is probably to buy a USB card to install in the computer.
They're cheap. There are parallel-port based card readers, but only for
compact flash and smart media, I think, and they cost a lot more than a USB
card.

Mark

Steven M. Scharf

"Angelcats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> I think there's an easy answer to this, but I'm having trouble finding
> it.
>
> My [older] father bought my [older]mother a Sony DSC P3 camera; the
> problem is, they have an older model computer. It's a Compaq Presario
> desktop, running on Windows 98, and only has serial ports, no USB
> ports.
>
> Is there an adaptor they can purchase to enable them to upload their
> photos, and what specifically is that called (I don't live near them,
> so can't accompany them to the store).

SONY PCMCIA Memory Stick(R) Reader MSACPC2 ($43) plus a Sony MSACPR1
Outboard Serial Port Memory Stick Adaptor ($40). These are prices from
Adorama, you can probably find these items for less somewhere. If they are
running Windows 98 Second Edition, then they can add a USB port PCI card,
but this may be too complicated for them.

The easier solution is probably the Sony floppy disk to memory stick
adaptor. Buy it on eBay and send it to them.

Big Bill

On 10 Jun 2004 15:23:25 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Angelcats)
wrote:

>I think there's an easy answer to this, but I'm having trouble finding
>it.
>
>My [older] father bought my [older]mother a Sony DSC P3 camera; the
>problem is, they have an older model computer. It's a Compaq Presario
>desktop, running on Windows 98, and only has serial ports, no USB
>ports.
>
>Is there an adaptor they can purchase to enable them to upload their
>photos, and what specifically is that called (I don't live near them,
>so can't accompany them to the store).
>
>Thanks.

What OS is on the computer?
If it's earlier than 98SE, then USB can be problematical.
The solution may be a new computer, or (and this will be SLOW) a
serial port reader for the card the camera uses.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

RJPalace

>>My [older] father bought my [older]mother a Sony DSC P3 camera; the
>>problem is, they have an older model computer. It's a Compaq Presario
>>desktop, running on Windows 98, and only has serial ports, no USB
>>ports.

>>Is there an adaptor they can purchase to enable them to upload their
>>photos, and what specifically is that called (I don't live near them,
>>so can't accompany them to the store)

If you have an extra slot inside your computer, than you can install a USB
controller card to do what you are asking. They are inexpensive and easy to
install. You could go on E-bay and do a search and maybe get a bargain.
Dick

Dan Wojciechowski

"Brian Sullivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sl5yc.166685$(E-Mail Removed). cable.rogers.com...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...190811-2099048

> has some PCI USB card options from Amazon
>

> but USB software support is spotty on Win98 so even with the hardware it

may
> not work.

USB works quite well with Win98. Support was spotty with Win95.

--
Dan (Woj...) dmaster at lucent dot com