Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Camera meltdown

Camera meltdown

Eduardo

Hi, I'm looking for incidents similar to mine. I have a two-year old
Fuji Finepix 2800. It works with four AA batteries; I've been using
rechargeable batteries. I was outdoors taking some pictures of my
family, then went in to have lunch. I took the camera with me and
after a while I went out again to take some more pictures. The camera
wouldn't start, and then I burned my finger on one of its corners (the
one closest to the AC-in socket). My wife noticed there was smoke
coming out of the camera. I put it on the floor and managed to rescue
the card and take the batteries out. The camera had started to melt
near the battery compartment and at the corner where I got my thumb
burned. There is a hole which is clearly visible.
I haven't been able to speak to anybody from Fuji (it's not easy here
in Belgium). I'm just wondering has anybody heard of similar incidents
and, if so, what should be the course of action (if any). The
guarantee has expired, but I don't think an incident like this can be
taken lightly. These batteries were regular NIMH batteries, 2100 mAh,
from the store, and I had been using this particular pack for some
months. It was rather warm (this happened in Cordoba, Spain), but no
more than 30-32 Celsius-- I've taken this camera to much warmer
places.
Any advice would be very welcome!
Eduardo

Martik

Reminds me of the time I was refueling at the Shell station, answered my
cell phone and the static electricity blew up the gas pump. Luckily, the
phone still worked so I could call 911

"Eduardo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi, I'm looking for incidents similar to mine. I have a two-year old
> Fuji Finepix 2800. It works with four AA batteries; I've been using
> rechargeable batteries. I was outdoors taking some pictures of my
> family, then went in to have lunch. I took the camera with me and
> after a while I went out again to take some more pictures. The camera
> wouldn't start, and then I burned my finger on one of its corners (the
> one closest to the AC-in socket). My wife noticed there was smoke
> coming out of the camera. I put it on the floor and managed to rescue
> the card and take the batteries out. The camera had started to melt
> near the battery compartment and at the corner where I got my thumb
> burned. There is a hole which is clearly visible.
> I haven't been able to speak to anybody from Fuji (it's not easy here
> in Belgium). I'm just wondering has anybody heard of similar incidents
> and, if so, what should be the course of action (if any). The
> guarantee has expired, but I don't think an incident like this can be
> taken lightly. These batteries were regular NIMH batteries, 2100 mAh,
> from the store, and I had been using this particular pack for some
> months. It was rather warm (this happened in Cordoba, Spain), but no
> more than 30-32 Celsius-- I've taken this camera to much warmer
> places.
> Any advice would be very welcome!
> Eduardo

Gene Palmiter

On two occasions my Oly 2000 heated up in the battery compartment after
putting in fresh NiMh batteries. I took them right out thinking that I had
put something in backwards...and when I put them back in everything was
fine. I still don't think they were in backwards...I think something else
was happening...but this is the first mention of like events that I have
seen.

"Eduardo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi, I'm looking for incidents similar to mine. I have a two-year old
> Fuji Finepix 2800. It works with four AA batteries; I've been using
> rechargeable batteries. I was outdoors taking some pictures of my
> family, then went in to have lunch. I took the camera with me and
> after a while I went out again to take some more pictures. The camera
> wouldn't start, and then I burned my finger on one of its corners (the
> one closest to the AC-in socket). My wife noticed there was smoke
> coming out of the camera. I put it on the floor and managed to rescue
> the card and take the batteries out. The camera had started to melt
> near the battery compartment and at the corner where I got my thumb
> burned. There is a hole which is clearly visible.
> I haven't been able to speak to anybody from Fuji (it's not easy here
> in Belgium). I'm just wondering has anybody heard of similar incidents
> and, if so, what should be the course of action (if any). The
> guarantee has expired, but I don't think an incident like this can be
> taken lightly. These batteries were regular NIMH batteries, 2100 mAh,
> from the store, and I had been using this particular pack for some
> months. It was rather warm (this happened in Cordoba, Spain), but no
> more than 30-32 Celsius-- I've taken this camera to much warmer
> places.
> Any advice would be very welcome!
> Eduardo

Don Stauffer

Were you using a charger specifically designed for NiMH batteries? NiMH
batteries should NOT be charged with chargers designed just for NiCAD
batteries.

In fact, some aftermarket chargers that claim to charge both NiCADs and
NiMH batteries are not as good as they should be. Yes, an inadequate
charger can overheat batteries and cause fires. The new LiPOLY
batteries are even worse.

The price we pay for newer battery technologies is that charging becomes
ever more critical.

People demand fast charges, but fast charging most storage batteries is
a real problem, and battery mfgs and charger mfgs try to work problem as
best they can, but it is a challenge.

In summary, only charge non-NiCADS with name brand chargers specifically
designed for that kind of battery. Stay away from bargain stuff.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Irwell

The original poster did say the batteries were in the camera,
not the charger. Could be either faulty batteries, or some sort of
short in the camera. Maybe a foreign object across the camera
terminals, on the Canon A80 battery compartment there is just
about a tenth of an inch separation between the two ground planes.

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:02:02 -0500, Don Stauffer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Were you using a charger specifically designed for NiMH batteries? NiMH
>batteries should NOT be charged with chargers designed just for NiCAD
>batteries.
>
>In fact, some aftermarket chargers that claim to charge both NiCADs and
>NiMH batteries are not as good as they should be. Yes, an inadequate
>charger can overheat batteries and cause fires. The new LiPOLY
>batteries are even worse.
>
>The price we pay for newer battery technologies is that charging becomes
>ever more critical.
>
>People demand fast charges, but fast charging most storage batteries is
>a real problem, and battery mfgs and charger mfgs try to work problem as
>best they can, but it is a challenge.
>
>In summary, only charge non-NiCADS with name brand chargers specifically
>designed for that kind of battery. Stay away from bargain stuff.
>
>Eduardo wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I'm looking for incidents similar to mine. I have a two-year old
>> Fuji Finepix 2800. It works with four AA batteries; I've been using
>> rechargeable batteries. I was outdoors taking some pictures of my
>> family, then went in to have lunch. I took the camera with me and
>> after a while I went out again to take some more pictures. The camera
>> wouldn't start, and then I burned my finger on one of its corners (the
>> one closest to the AC-in socket). My wife noticed there was smoke
>> coming out of the camera. I put it on the floor and managed to rescue
>> the card and take the batteries out. The camera had started to melt
>> near the battery compartment and at the corner where I got my thumb
>> burned. There is a hole which is clearly visible.
>> I haven't been able to speak to anybody from Fuji (it's not easy here
>> in Belgium). I'm just wondering has anybody heard of similar incidents
>> and, if so, what should be the course of action (if any). The
>> guarantee has expired, but I don't think an incident like this can be
>> taken lightly. These batteries were regular NIMH batteries, 2100 mAh,
>> from the store, and I had been using this particular pack for some
>> months. It was rather warm (this happened in Cordoba, Spain), but no
>> more than 30-32 Celsius-- I've taken this camera to much warmer
>> places.
>> Any advice would be very welcome!
>> Eduardo

S Lee

Gene Palmiter choreographed a chorus line of high-kicking electrons to
spell out:

> On two occasions my Oly 2000 heated up in the battery compartment
> after putting in fresh NiMh batteries. I took them right out thinking
> that I had put something in backwards...and when I put them back in
> everything was fine. I still don't think they were in backwards...I
> think something else was happening...but this is the first mention of
> like events that I have seen.

Lucky... I accidentally reversed the batteries in my old C2000 once
and the next thing I knew the battery door popped open, smoke was coming
out of the bottom of the camera, and the camera was thoroughly dead.
Olympus did fix it for me though.

--
__ A L L D O N E! B Y E B Y E!
(__ * _ _ _ _

stewy

"Eduardo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi, I'm looking for incidents similar to mine. I have a two-year old
> Fuji Finepix 2800. It works with four AA batteries; I've been using
> rechargeable batteries. I was outdoors taking some pictures of my
> family, then went in to have lunch. I took the camera with me and
> after a while I went out again to take some more pictures. The camera
> wouldn't start, and then I burned my finger on one of its corners (the
> one closest to the AC-in socket). My wife noticed there was smoke
> coming out of the camera. I put it on the floor and managed to rescue
> the card and take the batteries out. The camera had started to melt
> near the battery compartment and at the corner where I got my thumb
> burned. There is a hole which is clearly visible.
> I haven't been able to speak to anybody from Fuji (it's not easy here
> in Belgium). I'm just wondering has anybody heard of similar incidents
> and, if so, what should be the course of action (if any). The
> guarantee has expired, but I don't think an incident like this can be
> taken lightly. These batteries were regular NIMH batteries, 2100 mAh,
> from the store, and I had been using this particular pack for some
> months. It was rather warm (this happened in Cordoba, Spain), but no
> more than 30-32 Celsius-- I've taken this camera to much warmer
> places.

You could have put them in backwards. This generally produces a lot of heat
and the batteries are often damaged. If the camera still takes good
pictures, I'd suggest filling the hole and getting on with picture takng.
I'd also suggest getting an external charger as it's impossible to make an
alignment mistake.

Don Stauffer

If it was an aftermarket charger, then even with batteries in camera, if
they overcharge and heat, this would cause the problem. It would be
possible to have an aftermarket charger with an option, or adapter, to
fit whatever charging jack the camera has.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
(E-Mail Removed)

Eduardo

As somebody pointed out, this happened when the batteries were already
inside the camera and working properly. That is, the camera, and not
the charger, went aflame. Looks like it's a very rare thing. I wonder
could it happen on a plane. Thanks anyway. I'll have to get a new one
I guess.

DIVX meltdown Mr. Mike DVD Video 11 10-15-2007 01:33 PM
Britney's greasy fried chicken high fashion meltdown Let's go for a ride, y'all Digital Photography 17 07-30-2007 12:54 PM
Wannadoo meltdown gavin Computer Support 2 12-12-2004 07:31 PM
Paradise meltdown?? Sheet Stain NZ Computing 8 08-17-2004 02:24 AM
Dvdplanet Meltdown Continues WinningerR DVD Video 1 07-03-2003 10:51 AM

Advertisments