Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lousy picture touting SD10 in Popular Photography in the July editionjust out

Lousy picture touting SD10 in Popular Photography in the July editionjust out

Bay Area Dave

Page 35 shows a nearly full-page photo of a close-up of a
face which should be a major embarrassment to Sigma. The
image has lousy color, and what's worse, it looks like it
had posterization applied! No continuous tones. just
blotches of color. check out the bridge of the nose and the
area above the cheeks. then look at the the areas just
above the nostrils. there are basically 3 colors that make
up the nose. it looks like two colors define the cheeks. a
darker area below the eyes and the same color shows up below
the blotchy area of lightness that wraps around the left
side of the nose. Yuck!

Is this poor photo the fault of the printer or the camera?

dave

jriegle

I have not seen this yet, but I wouldn't judge the camera's capability from
magazine print. I've seen two page spreads that one side was a different hue
because these were printed at different times before the separate pages are
bound into a 'zine.
John

"Bay Area Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Vd2yc.202$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Page 35 shows a nearly full-page photo of a close-up of a
> face which should be a major embarrassment to Sigma. The
> image has lousy color, and what's worse, it looks like it
> had posterization applied! No continuous tones. just
> blotches of color. check out the bridge of the nose and the
> area above the cheeks. then look at the the areas just
> above the nostrils. there are basically 3 colors that make
> up the nose. it looks like two colors define the cheeks. a
> darker area below the eyes and the same color shows up below
> the blotchy area of lightness that wraps around the left
> side of the nose. Yuck!
>
> Is this poor photo the fault of the printer or the camera?
>

> dave

Randall Ainsworth

In article <Vd2yc.202$(E-Mail Removed)>, Bay Area Dave
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Page 35 shows a nearly full-page photo of a close-up of a
> face which should be a major embarrassment to Sigma. The
> image has lousy color, and what's worse, it looks like it
> had posterization applied! No continuous tones. just
> blotches of color. check out the bridge of the nose and the
> area above the cheeks. then look at the the areas just
> above the nostrils. there are basically 3 colors that make
> up the nose. it looks like two colors define the cheeks. a
> darker area below the eyes and the same color shows up below
> the blotchy area of lightness that wraps around the left
> side of the nose. Yuck!

I've seen this picture in other ads of theirs somewhere. Besides being
a mediocre portrait, the skin tone is...uh...not right. Maybe they
were trying to be artistic?

George Preddy

Bay Area Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Vd2yc.202$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> Page 35 shows a nearly full-page photo of a close-up of a
> face which should be a major embarrassment to Sigma. The
> image has lousy color, and what's worse, it looks like it
> had posterization applied! No continuous tones. just
> blotches of color. check out the bridge of the nose and the
> area above the cheeks. then look at the the areas just
> above the nostrils. there are basically 3 colors that make
> up the nose. it looks like two colors define the cheeks. a
> darker area below the eyes and the same color shows up below
> the blotchy area of lightness that wraps around the left
> side of the nose. Yuck!
>
> Is this poor photo the fault of the printer or the camera?

Is it this one?
http://www.pbase.com/image/27818545/original

Sigma hired these shots for ads. I think that one is blurry when
compared to what the camera routinely turns in.

Randall Ainsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, George
Preddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.pbase.com/image/27818545/original

Nope, it's a different one. But the one above sucks too.

Darrell Larose

That's the 2003 Visko Hatfield stolen by Imageprocessing, who then colour
corrected the trademarked yellow Sigma skintones?
Pbase image: http://www.pbase.com/image/27818545/large
Foveon Sample: http://www.foveon.com/X3_images_7.html note on the page
"2003 Visko Hatfield"

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Bay Area Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<Vd2yc.202$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> > Page 35 shows a nearly full-page photo of a close-up of a
> > face which should be a major embarrassment to Sigma. The
> > image has lousy color, and what's worse, it looks like it
> > had posterization applied! No continuous tones. just
> > blotches of color. check out the bridge of the nose and the
> > area above the cheeks. then look at the the areas just
> > above the nostrils. there are basically 3 colors that make
> > up the nose. it looks like two colors define the cheeks. a
> > darker area below the eyes and the same color shows up below
> > the blotchy area of lightness that wraps around the left
> > side of the nose. Yuck!
> >
> > Is this poor photo the fault of the printer or the camera?

> Is it this one?
> http://www.pbase.com/image/27818545/original
>
> Sigma hired these shots for ads. I think that one is blurry when
> compared to what the camera routinely turns in.

tekfull@yahoo.com

where are your pics gp

On 11 Jun 2004 03:16:16 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (George Preddy)
wrote:

>Bay Area Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Vd2yc.202$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
>> Page 35 shows a nearly full-page photo of a close-up of a
>> face which should be a major embarrassment to Sigma. The
>> image has lousy color, and what's worse, it looks like it
>> had posterization applied! No continuous tones. just
>> blotches of color. check out the bridge of the nose and the
>> area above the cheeks. then look at the the areas just
>> above the nostrils. there are basically 3 colors that make
>> up the nose. it looks like two colors define the cheeks. a
>> darker area below the eyes and the same color shows up below
>> the blotchy area of lightness that wraps around the left
>> side of the nose. Yuck!
>>
>> Is this poor photo the fault of the printer or the camera?

>Is it this one?
>http://www.pbase.com/image/27818545/original
>
>Sigma hired these shots for ads. I think that one is blurry when
>compared to what the camera routinely turns in.

Bay Area Dave

nope. it's a picture of an androgeous(sp?) person. and it
is fairly sharp. it's blotchiness that is so apparent.

dave