Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > how many here have Canon 10D with no focus problem?

how many here have Canon 10D with no focus problem?

David J. Littleboy

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit> wrote in
message news:OcZxc.648$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Gisle Hannemyr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> []
> > I.e. why is modern SLRs (including DSLRs) sold without such stable
> > manual focusing aids as a split image or microprism.?

> []
>
> Good question - I can think of two reasons:
>
> - to save a penny or two on production cost
>
> - to avoid the need to explain it all in the manual, i.e. dumbing down.

If memory serves, split image rangefinders lose it pretty badly with f/5.6
and slower lenses. Since most consumer lenses are f/5.6 at the long end,
they really can't put in a split image. Presumably the microprisms have a
similar problem. (The EOS3 and higher cameras have interchangeable screens,
so for folks who can afford and lift a 1D, 1Dmk2, or 1Ds, this isn't an
issue.)

FWIW, I was playing with a 300D at the store the other day, and the screen
works quite well for manual focus. I was (pleasantly) surprised.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Randall Ainsworth

In article <ca9pmn$7qp$(E-Mail Removed)>, David J. Littleboy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If memory serves, split image rangefinders lose it pretty badly with f/5.6
> and slower lenses. Since most consumer lenses are f/5.6 at the long end,
> they really can't put in a split image. Presumably the microprisms have a
> similar problem. (The EOS3 and higher cameras have interchangeable screens,
> so for folks who can afford and lift a 1D, 1Dmk2, or 1Ds, this isn't an
> issue.)

I never cared for split image, was more of a microprism kinda guy. The
split image screens would black out half of the split when used with
slow lenses. And I found them hard to use for general, overall
shooting.

Kenny

"John J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ca8qmp$1nqt$(E-Mail Removed)...

> The camera is a piece of crap and any accurately focused images are

purely
> coincidental, at least that has been my experience with the 10D.

Perhaps John, the fact you appear to be a crap photographer has
something to do with it? You don't have a clue what you are talking
about. Nothing wrong with the 10D's AF, it is as accurate as my 1D
(MK-I) in single point which is as accurate, if not more so, than your
1V. Go and troll elsewhere. Preddy is looking for company.

Kenny

Jimmy> I hear the front focus or the back focus problem. Can this also be in the
Jimmy> owners head? Maybe the camera is just a bit too sophisticated for some
Jimmy> people or is there really a prevelant problem? Or is it rare?

Jimmy> Who has (had) it here?

I have had my 10d for 14 months, and never noticed
a focusing problem.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.photo.digital...)

Lisa Horton

Jimmy Smith wrote:

> I hear the front focus or the back focus problem. Can this also be in the
> owners head? Maybe the camera is just a bit too sophisticated for some
> people or is there really a prevelant problem? Or is it rare?
>
> Who has (had) it here?

I have a very early 10D (first week on sale) and it's never had any
problem with focussing. I'm very dubious about the actual extent of the
alleged focus problems. I note that a good number of 10D users are new
to SLR's, which means new to fast lenses with their paper thin DOF, and
new to being able to instantly view photos at a very high magnification,
and new to digital photos that require sharpening, etc.

Lisa

John J

> Perhaps John, the fact you appear to be a crap photographer has
> something to do with it? You don't have a clue what you are talking
> about. Nothing wrong with the 10D's AF, it is as accurate as my 1D
> (MK-I) in single point which is as accurate, if not more so, than your
> 1V. Go and troll elsewhere. Preddy is looking for company.

Ooh, a bit touchy about the subject are we? Turning to personal attacks has
always been a great defence when a real one was absent.
JJ

John J

> Why?
>
> I.e. why is modern SLRs (including DSLRs) sold without such stable
> manual focusing aids as a split image or microprism.? These things
> used to be pretty standard in the «classic» SLR designs - and I
> remember that the split screen made accurate manual focusing very
> simple on my old Nikon F2.
>
> I am all for modern cameras and autofocus - but sometimes you still
> need to do it manually. So why was visual focusing aids not part
> of the the design of modern cameras?

Not all modern cameras are without the microprism and split screen eg Leica
R8 and R9, all though you might argue that these cameras are manual focus
and "old school" anyway.

JJ

The Naked Whiz

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 23:12:15 -0400, "Jimmy Smith"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I hear the front focus or the back focus problem. Can this also be in the
>owners head? Maybe the camera is just a bit too sophisticated for some
>people or is there really a prevelant problem? Or is it rare?
>
>Who has (had) it here?
>
>Jimmy

My 10D routinely back focuses with multiple lenses. This is shooting
real-world photos, like is so often suggested, not using any sort of
test. I shot high school baseball for a year with a D30 with no
problems. I shot the next year with a D60 with no problems. With the
10D it routinely back focuses. As soon as I get a break, I'll be
sending it to Canon for repair. FWIW....

TNW

Bay Area Dave

I know I might get teased for my naivete, but I don't know
what "back focusing" is. Could you clue me in, please? thanks!

dave

The Naked Whiz wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 23:12:15 -0400, "Jimmy Smith"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I hear the front focus or the back focus problem. Can this also be in the
>>owners head? Maybe the camera is just a bit too sophisticated for some
>>people or is there really a prevelant problem? Or is it rare?
>>
>>Who has (had) it here?
>>
>>Jimmy
>>

> My 10D routinely back focuses with multiple lenses. This is shooting
> real-world photos, like is so often suggested, not using any sort of
> test. I shot high school baseball for a year with a D30 with no
> problems. I shot the next year with a D60 with no problems. With the
> 10D it routinely back focuses. As soon as I get a break, I'll be
> sending it to Canon for repair. FWIW....
>
> TNW

Brian C. Baird

> My 10D routinely back focuses with multiple lenses. This is shooting
> real-world photos, like is so often suggested, not using any sort of
> test. I shot high school baseball for a year with a D30 with no
> problems. I shot the next year with a D60 with no problems. With the
> 10D it routinely back focuses. As soon as I get a break, I'll be
> sending it to Canon for repair. FWIW....
>
> TNW

You've got to test it objectively otherwise you'll be wasting your time
sending it back to Canon. 99% of my focus problems were due things that
screw up autofocus all the time - such as rapidly approaching objects
and high-contrast backgrounds. Relying on autofocus will get you a few
stinkers in each shoot - luckily with digital you don't have to pay to
get them developed.