Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connected to unsecured wireless network but can't access internet

Connected to unsecured wireless network but can't access internet

The Old School

I have a belkin wireless network router, unsecured and can access it
fine with my laptop. Where I live I can detect 6 wireless networks from
local houses and several of these are unsecured. Sometimes the signal
from one of these is stronger than my own router and my laptop connects
to it, succesfully, but in all cases I can't access the internet
although it says "status:connected" and "signal strength: excellent" -
I just get "page not found". It's not really a problem but has anyone
an idea of what's going on? I'm using XP SP2 and Windows Zero
Configuration.

Ryan Younger

Firstly you should make sure that your wireless adapter is set to connect to
access points (infrastructure) only, you should then ensure that your
wireless network's SSID is at the top of the preferred networks list.

It would also be wise to run netstumbler and see what channel the other
networks are broadcasting on and attempt to set the channel of your access
point to a channel which is at least three away from the other AP's near to
you (http://www.netstumbler.com/).

One question, do you have a Belkin wireless router or a Belkin combo ADSL
modem with wireless router?

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
Networking Weblog

"The Old School" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a belkin wireless network router, unsecured and can access it
> fine with my laptop. Where I live I can detect 6 wireless networks from
> local houses and several of these are unsecured. Sometimes the signal
> from one of these is stronger than my own router and my laptop connects
> to it, succesfully, but in all cases I can't access the internet
> although it says "status:connected" and "signal strength: excellent" -
> I just get "page not found". It's not really a problem but has anyone
> an idea of what's going on? I'm using XP SP2 and Windows Zero
> Configuration.

The Old School

Ryan

Thanks for the reply. It's a "ADSL Modem with built-in Wireless Router"
model F5D7630-4A. Will try your suggestions

Tony