Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > poor pictures with Canon Rebel

poor pictures with Canon Rebel

Stuart

I recently bought the Canon Rebel (300D). The pictures seem fine on the
screen and the histograms seems to indicate a reasonable exposure - they
look good on the screen, but very disappointing when I transfer them onto my
PC.

All my images without exception need Adobe Photoshop (elements 2.0 )
compensation for brightness and contrast before they look good.

I expect something's wrong with my PC display settings. Any advice from the
group?

John Tucker

Stuart wrote:
> I recently bought the Canon Rebel (300D). The pictures seem fine on
> the screen and the histograms seems to indicate a reasonable exposure
> - they look good on the screen, but very disappointing when I
> transfer them onto my PC.
>
> All my images without exception need Adobe Photoshop (elements 2.0 )
> compensation for brightness and contrast before they look good.
>
> I expect something's wrong with my PC display settings. Any advice
> from the group?

Stuart,

Your monitor could need calibrating. It's also not unusual to have to do
some sort of adjustment in PS, PSP, etc. for the images to look their best.

John
Texas, USA

tbm

I recently bought the Canon Rebel (300D). The pictures seem fine on the
screen and the histograms seems to indicate a reasonable exposure - they
look good on the screen, but very disappointing when I transfer them onto my
PC.

All my images without exception need Adobe Photoshop (elements 2.0 )
compensation for brightness and contrast before they look good.

I expect something's wrong with my PC display settings. Any advice from the
group?

>SEEMS TO ME THIS IS YET ANOTHER UNHAPPY CANON EOS300D CUSTOMER.WHICH GOES TO SHOW WE ALL CAN'T BE WRONG.I REST MY CASE.RGDS TO ALL

FROM TBM...SAME SINARIO HERE...

---

Chuck

> >SEEMS TO ME THIS IS YET ANOTHER UNHAPPY CANON EOS300D CUSTOMER.WHICH GOES

TO SHOW WE ALL CAN'T BE WRONG.I REST MY CASE.RGDS TO ALL
> FROM TBM...SAME SINARIO HERE...

Trollmeter = RED

Phil Stripling

"Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> All my images without exception need Adobe Photoshop (elements 2.0 )
> compensation for brightness and contrast before they look good.

Is this a change for you? Other cameras required no tweaking? Louise spends
some quality computer time with most (maybe all, I don't keep track) of the
images she took on her Rebel. I don't think it's unusual.

> I expect something's wrong with my PC display settings. Any advice from the
> group?

I don't do windows, so I can't begin to give you any help on how to
determine if your monitor needs to be calibrated nor on how to do it. I'd
suggest a search on
monitor calibration
and see what turns up. It may be that your monitor is at fault. Or maybe
not. Who can tell?

Skip M

Have you tried physically printing them? If the prints look ok, then it's
your monitor. I don't use the LCD for anything but to check composition, or
to see if anyone moved. But my D30's screen is pretty useless unless viewed
from straight on and in moderate to low light.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
"Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ca853j$mrv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently bought the Canon Rebel (300D). The pictures seem fine on the
> screen and the histograms seems to indicate a reasonable exposure - they
> look good on the screen, but very disappointing when I transfer them onto

my
> PC.
>
> All my images without exception need Adobe Photoshop (elements 2.0 )
> compensation for brightness and contrast before they look good.
>
> I expect something's wrong with my PC display settings. Any advice from

the
> group?

Lionel

Kibo informs me that "Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> stated that:

>I recently bought the Canon Rebel (300D). The pictures seem fine on the
>screen and the histograms seems to indicate a reasonable exposure - they
>look good on the screen, but very disappointing when I transfer them onto my
>PC.

Be aware that the 300D & 10D have very bright & contrasty LCD panels, so
you should never rely on them to judge exposure. OTOH, you can trust the
histogram.

>All my images without exception need Adobe Photoshop (elements 2.0 )
>compensation for brightness and contrast before they look good.
>
>I expect something's wrong with my PC display settings. Any advice from the
>group?

Yes. Calibrate your monitor. If it's never been calibrated, you'll
misjudge your processing, & end up with lousy photos.

Mark B.

"tbm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%JOxc.415$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently bought the Canon Rebel (300D). The pictures seem fine on the
> screen and the histograms seems to indicate a reasonable exposure - they
> look good on the screen, but very disappointing when I transfer them onto

my
> PC.
>
> All my images without exception need Adobe Photoshop (elements 2.0 )
> compensation for brightness and contrast before they look good.
>
> I expect something's wrong with my PC display settings. Any advice from

the
> group?
>
> >SEEMS TO ME THIS IS YET ANOTHER UNHAPPY CANON EOS300D CUSTOMER.WHICH GOES

TO SHOW WE ALL CAN'T BE WRONG.I REST MY CASE.RGDS TO ALL
> FROM TBM...SAME SINARIO HERE...

Seems to me you haven't said anything here. Why are you shouting?

Mark

leo

"Phil Stripling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > All my images without exception need Adobe Photoshop (elements 2.0 )
> > compensation for brightness and contrast before they look good.

> Is this a change for you? Other cameras required no tweaking? Louise

spends
> some quality computer time with most (maybe all, I don't keep track) of

the
> images she took on her Rebel. I don't think it's unusual.
>

> > I expect something's wrong with my PC display settings. Any advice from

the
> > group?

> I don't do windows, so I can't begin to give you any help on how to
> determine if your monitor needs to be calibrated nor on how to do it. I'd
> suggest a search on
> monitor calibration
> and see what turns up. It may be that your monitor is at fault. Or maybe
> not. Who can tell?
>
> --
> Philip Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed
> Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip@
> http://www.PhilipStripling.com/ | my domain is read daily.

Here is the guide for calibrating your monitor:
http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

DR does tend to underexpose a bit when comparing to other cameras.

Alan D-W

"tbm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%JOxc.415$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >SEEMS TO ME THIS IS YET ANOTHER UNHAPPY CANON EOS300D CUSTOMER.WHICH GOES

TO SHOW WE ALL CAN'T BE WRONG.I REST MY CASE.RGDS TO ALL
> FROM TBM...SAME SINARIO HERE...

Who the hell are you?