Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Costco (UK): digital photo -> CD problem

Costco (UK): digital photo -> CD problem

John Briggs

"nixjunk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I take it you haven't seen anything like the "downsizing" problem I had

with
> >>Costco?
> >>
> >>John
> >>

> What "downsizing" problem?

See the beginning of this thread. Basically Costco reduced the number of
pixels in the images on my memory card from 4MP (2304 x 172 to 1.5MP
(1536 x 1024) when transferring them to CD.

John

nixjunk

>> What "downsizing" problem?
>>

>See the beginning of this thread. Basically Costco reduced the number of
>pixels in the images on my memory card from 4MP (2304 x 172 to 1.5MP
>(1536 x 1024) when transferring them to CD.
>
>John

Ah, ok. I never use that service of theirs. I just get digital prints made with
them and the results are excellent.

leo

"John Briggs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ca9g7d$52s$1$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John Briggs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ca711p$6l2$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I took a 256MB SD card to Costco (UK) and had them produce a CD for me.
> >
> > All my original images were 4MP (2304 x 172 JPEGs on the SD card but

the
> > CD images are all 1.5MP (1536 x 1024) JPEGs and the files have been

> renamed
> > (and are, not surprisingly, about 3/8 of the original size).
> >
> > I can't make Costco understand that this is a problem (i.e. they've

> reduced
> > the quality) though I am going to go back sometime to speak to the
> > superviser. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >

> I spoke to the supervisor last night. She was a very pleasant and friendly
> person but she admitted not knowing much about the technical side. She
> showed me that the settings on her software were indeed 1536 x 1024 but

she
> didn't think this could be changed. I got a full refund. I still think
> Costco are good value for printing but I'll be having my CDs burned
> elsewhere.
>
> While I'm on the subject of writeable CDs does anybody know if any of them
> have a guaranteed lifetime or claims to "long life"? If so, do any of the
> places that burn CDs for you use them (in the UK e.g. Tesco, Boots,
> Jessops)?
>
> John

From digital pictures to CD? I thought these services are meant for someone
without means or knowhow to use computers. I don't think it's cheap. Why
don't you do it yearself? A CD burner, even DVD, is cheap. I'd use that
service only if I need to transfer from film.

John Briggs

"leo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Id0yc.8996$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> From digital pictures to CD? I thought these services are meant for

someone
> without means or knowhow to use computers. I don't think it's cheap. Why
> don't you do it yearself? A CD burner, even DVD, is cheap. I'd use that
> service only if I need to transfer from film.

It's actually very cheap (1.86), and it's convenient to dump your memory
card when travelling, but I wouldn't use Costco again because they reduce
the number of pixels in the transfer to CD.

John