Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony T1 or Canon S500?

Sony T1 or Canon S500?

Ryan

Hi,

I hope someone can help me by providing their opinions.

I was a user of Canon digital cameras for years and loved them. I had
an S40, an S45 and an S50 but found those camera just were a bit bulky
for lugging around on vacation. I would wear them in a holster on my
belt while traveling and it often felt like a brick was strapped to
me. I loved the photo quality, bit decided to look for something
smaller with at least 5mp.

I had friends rave about the Sony T1 so I did some research and
ordered one to replace my S50 which I later sold. I used the T1 on my
last vacation and was very happy with it's size and LCD screen... I
barely knew I was carrying it!

But, that said, I am not thrilled with two things:

1. I am finding it impossible to find the Memory Stick Pro Duo cards
for the Sony T1 and when I do find them, they are priced MUCH HIGHER
than I would pay for CompactFlash, SmartMedia, etc. cards of the same
size. That really bugs me.

2. I can't say I am thrilled with the image quality. While the startup
is faster than my S50 was, I just don't feel the T1's photos are as
crisp as my Canon's were and the colors are also a touch washed out.
In the end, I am left feelings I have lost some image quality even
though the T1 claims to be 5mp just like the Canon.

Since I bought the T1, Canon has now come out with the S500 5mp
Digital Elph. I am very tempted to switch back to Canon and get a
S500. I have yet to hold a S500 to see how it compares in size to the
T1, but I have had much better luck with Canon.

I also am used to having a 1GB CompactFlash card with me and it will
cost a small fortune to purchase 1GB in Memory Stick Duo cards!

Has anyone compared the T1 to the S500? Any opinions? I hate to
switch cameras again after just a few months, but I took some more
photos with the T1 last night and I am again not thrilled with the
results.

Thanks!

Ryan

I almost thought my post didn't appear as I have never not received a response.

Does ANYONE have suggestions?

Steven M. Scharf

"Ryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

<snip>

I'm sure that many people compared them prior to purchase. I never
considered the Sony simply due to the memory card issue. The reason the
S300,400,410,500 has been so popular is because it's the smallest, CF using
camera that's decent.

I doubt if you'll notice a difference in picture quality. Neither is going
to be up to the level of the S50. Not worth switching. Just buy some more
memory sticks and forget about it.

Orville Wright

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ryan) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hi,
>
> I hope someone can help me by providing their opinions.
>
> I was a user of Canon digital cameras for years and loved them. I had
> an S40, an S45 and an S50 but found those camera just were a bit bulky
> for lugging around on vacation. I would wear them in a holster on my
> belt while traveling and it often felt like a brick was strapped to
> me. I loved the photo quality, bit decided to look for something
> smaller with at least 5mp.
>
> I had friends rave about the Sony T1 so I did some research and
> ordered one to replace my S50 which I later sold. I used the T1 on my
> last vacation and was very happy with it's size and LCD screen... I
> barely knew I was carrying it!
>
> But, that said, I am not thrilled with two things:
>
> 1. I am finding it impossible to find the Memory Stick Pro Duo cards
> for the Sony T1 and when I do find them, they are priced MUCH HIGHER
> than I would pay for CompactFlash, SmartMedia, etc. cards of the same
> size. That really bugs me.
>
> 2. I can't say I am thrilled with the image quality. While the startup
> is faster than my S50 was, I just don't feel the T1's photos are as
> crisp as my Canon's were and the colors are also a touch washed out.
> In the end, I am left feelings I have lost some image quality even
> though the T1 claims to be 5mp just like the Canon.
>
> Since I bought the T1, Canon has now come out with the S500 5mp
> Digital Elph. I am very tempted to switch back to Canon and get a
> S500. I have yet to hold a S500 to see how it compares in size to the
> T1, but I have had much better luck with Canon.
>
> I also am used to having a 1GB CompactFlash card with me and it will
> cost a small fortune to purchase 1GB in Memory Stick Duo cards!
>
> Has anyone compared the T1 to the S500? Any opinions? I hate to
> switch cameras again after just a few months, but I took some more
> photos with the T1 last night and I am again not thrilled with the
> results.
>
> Thanks!

Hi Ryan. You should really stay away from those cheap, ultracompact
digital cameras. Optical quality is always sacrificed for size in
these models, and they are honestly, well, girly.

For about $2000, you can buy a really nice Sigma SD10 DSLR with an
external flash and a high-end zoom lens. The photo quality you will
get will be unbeatable by any other current production digital camera.
The Sigma Pro DSLR cameras are built like tanks, and they are a real
"man's camera".

Hope this helps.

-Orville

John McWilliams

Orville Wright wrote:

Troll bait.

Please ignore.

Ryan

While I appreciate your viewpoint in the $2000 camera, I MUST have a
small camera that I can carry in a belt case and not feel as I am
hiking, biking, etc.

I also also not a professional, so I don't need a very expensive
high-end camera. But I do need one that allows me to make nice
enlargements of the shots I take. I have always had wonderful luck
with the Canon S40 and S50.

So, I really need an ultra-compact camera and the T1 and S500 seem to
meet MY needs.

Out of those two, which would you purchase?

Orville Wright

(E-Mail Removed) (Ryan) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> While I appreciate your viewpoint in the $2000 camera, I MUST have a
> small camera that I can carry in a belt case and not feel as I am
> hiking, biking, etc.
>
> I also also not a professional, so I don't need a very expensive
> high-end camera. But I do need one that allows me to make nice
> enlargements of the shots I take. I have always had wonderful luck
> with the Canon S40 and S50.
>
> So, I really need an ultra-compact camera and the T1 and S500 seem to
> meet MY needs.
>
> Out of those two, which would you purchase?

Neither. The Sony T1's images are outright ****ing disgusting. The
Canon's are not too much better? The lesser of 2 evils would be the
Canon, but you might want to wait for the new Polaroid subcompact to
hits the stores in a few weeks. This camera contains the highly
superior Foveon sensor. It is still a small camera, but the image
quality should be significantly better than the two **** models you
are foolishly interested in now.

Hope this helps.

-Orville

Lionel

Kibo informs me that (E-Mail Removed) (Orville Wright)
stated that:

>(E-Mail Removed) (Ryan) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
>> While I appreciate your viewpoint in the $2000 camera, I MUST have a
>> small camera that I can carry in a belt case and not feel as I am
>> hiking, biking, etc.
>>
>> I also also not a professional, so I don't need a very expensive
>> high-end camera. But I do need one that allows me to make nice
>> enlargements of the shots I take. I have always had wonderful luck
>> with the Canon S40 and S50.
>>
>> So, I really need an ultra-compact camera and the T1 and S500 seem to
>> meet MY needs.
>>
>> Out of those two, which would you purchase?

>Neither. The So[*SLAP!*]

Please ignore our troll, Ryan. He's deliberately giving bad advice to
new posters in this newsgroup.

Bill

I own a T-1. The most attractive part of it is the size and large LCD
screen, and that is about it. The indoor image quality is totally
unacceptable. It is due to excessive red-eye and very very weak flash. The
flash can only reeach about 5 feet. Beyond that, everything looks reddish
and very very noisy. The worst part is no tripod mount. So taking pictures
of night scenes is not possible. It is a nice SECOND camera for daytime
shooting only.

I am buying a A80. I wish I hadn't bought T-1 in the first place.

"Ryan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
???????:(E-Mail Removed) e.com...
> While I appreciate your viewpoint in the $2000 camera, I MUST have a
> small camera that I can carry in a belt case and not feel as I am
> hiking, biking, etc.
>
> I also also not a professional, so I don't need a very expensive
> high-end camera. But I do need one that allows me to make nice
> enlargements of the shots I take. I have always had wonderful luck
> with the Canon S40 and S50.
>
> So, I really need an ultra-compact camera and the T1 and S500 seem to
> meet MY needs.
>
> Out of those two, which would you purchase?

Bob Salomon

In article <JeZyc.22882$2i5.17994@attbi_s52>,
"Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The worst part is no tripod mount. So taking pictures
> of night scenes is not possible.

I also have a T1 and easily do available light and night shots.

i simply place the camera against a building, post, wall, table, etc. to
steady it for low light exposures.

The biggest problem is not the lack of a tripod socket it is the lack of
a viewfinder, other then the LCD, so you can't pull your elbows into
your body to steady the camera but instead have to use it with arms
somewhat extended. This makes it difficult to handhold in low light
without bracing it against something as stated above.

A tripod socket would not serve much of a useful purpose for me with the
T1 as I bought it to have something I can carry with me at all times
instead of my 828. I would not want to carry an light, small,
inconspicuous camera as well as a tripod. And we are the distributor of
the World's smallest tripod - the Giotto's Q-Pod. And even that would
still need a table, wall, building, post,, etc. to use.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.