Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Win 2000, WPA working right out of the box?

Win 2000, WPA working right out of the box?

(PeteCresswell)

I'm reading Jeff Duntemann's "WiFi Guide - 2nd Edition" and the part about a WPA
supplicant being missing from Windows 200 has me puzzled.

It seems to say that Windows 2000 does not have a built-in WPA supplicant and,
by my own extrapolation, should not work without one installed.

I have not explicitly installed a supplicant, although I've got Windows'
automatic update turned on.

My WiFi gateway, a WiFi-enabled PDA, and a WiFi print server; however; all work
A-OK with WPA encryption specified.

Can anybody explain what gives?
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):
> Jeff Duntemann's "WiFi Guide - 2nd Edition"...

>My WiFi gateway, a WiFi-enabled PDA, and a WiFi print server; however; all work
>A-OK with WPA encryption specified.
>
>Can anybody explain what gives?

Oops, got it: Page 330 - "The PC connected directly by cable to the access point
or wireless gateway does not need one."
--
PeteCresswell

Pavel A.

Yes, this is correct. Win2000 does not have any supplicant in-box.
SP4 contains the wzcscv component which adds 802.1x supplicant
for wired network, but no wi-fi functionality.

Regards,
--PA