Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 35mm SLR lenses on Digital

35mm SLR lenses on Digital

SteveJ

If a Lens is rated at F/1.8 on a 35 mm camera does this hold true on a
Digital even if the * factor is 1.5 times for the Nikon D70 and 1,6 on some
of the Canons?

steve

yes. f #'s do not change, nor does focal length.

However, the 'smaller than 35mm sized' sensor digital SLRs crop the image.

Steve

SteveJ wrote:

> If a Lens is rated at F/1.8 on a 35 mm camera does this hold true on a
> Digital even if the * factor is 1.5 times for the Nikon D70 and 1,6 on some
> of the Canons?

Skip M

Yes, the aperture in unaffected by the sensor size.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

JPS@no.komm

In message <5laxc.2075$0y.2063@attbi_s03>,
"SteveJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If a Lens is rated at F/1.8 on a 35 mm camera does this hold true on a
>Digital even if the * factor is 1.5 times for the Nikon D70 and 1,6 on some
>of the Canons?

The crop factor is simply that; a crop factor. Does cutting a 35mm
slide into 3 or 4 pieces change the aperture, or the exposure?

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Tony Spadaro

Since the focal length is actually the same, the aperture is the same. The
multiplication only has meaning for telling you the equivalent angle of
view.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"SteveJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> If a Lens is rated at F/1.8 on a 35 mm camera does this hold true on a
> Digital even if the * factor is 1.5 times for the Nikon D70 and 1,6 on

some
> of the Canons?

David Bindle

Yes, the aperture of 1.8 is unaffected. The factor of 1.5 or 1.6 is only
for calculating 35mm lens equivalent coverage, due to the smaller size of
the sensor compared to the size of a 35mm frame. The smaller sized sensor
in effect, crops the outer edges of the regular 35mm frame.
This makes telephoto lenses (seem) more powerful -- but your are just in
fact cropping and blowing up the center portion to a regular viewing size.
It also diminishes the desirable effects of wide angle lenses, for the same
reason. To get a wide angle of coverage, you need to buy an ultrawide lens.
One benefit that I haven't seen mentioned before (I probably have just
missed it) is that - with the cropping, should come improved resolution in
the corners of the image, due to the fact that you are using more of the
central portion of the lens. I'm not sure if the additional magnification
required to blow up this crop nullifies any gains in corner sharpness or
not.
Anyone?

"SteveJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> If a Lens is rated at F/1.8 on a 35 mm camera does this hold true on a
> Digital even if the * factor is 1.5 times for the Nikon D70 and 1,6 on

some
> of the Canons?

Paul J Gans

SteveJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>If a Lens is rated at F/1.8 on a 35 mm camera does this hold true on a
>Digital even if the * factor is 1.5 times for the Nikon D70 and 1,6 on some
>of the Canons?

Yes. The f/ rating of a lens is a physical property of the
lens and will not be affected by the camera it is mounted on.

----- Paul J. Gans