Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Leica Digilux 2: PC World labtest discovers detachable lens hood...

Leica Digilux 2: PC World labtest discovers detachable lens hood...

ThomasH

Bill Crocker wrote:

> Yes, I saw that also. I can't believe someone actually gets paid to write
> such trash!

Now, the July edition claims the following: (page 175)

"Though it costs $1850, Leica's Digilux 2 has a fixed lens. However,
the lens does have rings for focus and aperture adjustments."

How can you top these revelations!

They also misquote Steve Sander's conclusions about newest
DSLR's EOS300D / Digital Rebel versus D70 (see page 91).
Of course, Steve gives the (later arrival) D70 a clean
preference over the Rebel, because Nikon packed it with
advanced features as opposed to Canon, who stripped the
Rebel of many functions to keep their EOS-10D afloat.

Ah well, all the talking for nothing...

Do not forget, Leica's lens has a ring for focus and for aperture,
astonishing! Settle for nothing less than that ! )

Thomas

> Bill Crocker
>
> "ThomasH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Aren't you astonished how massive computer (or personal
> > computing) magazines suddenly deal with digital cameras??
> >
> > I could enlist here a variety of recent "tests" and "reports"
> > with a different level of embarrassment to these self proclaimed
> > "photography experts," but probably this message about the $1800
> > Leica Digilux 2 hits the spot for the "Grand Moron Super Award":
> >
> > The June 2004 edition of PC World on page 141 notifies its
> > readers that the Digilux 2 has been added to the "Top 100"
> > ranklist after it was tested by the PC World lab. PC World
> > states:
> >
> > "At $1850 the Leica Digilux 2 is one of the most expensive
> > cameras we've tested. However it has a unique bounce flash
> > and a detachable lens hood."
> >
> > End of message. Wooow, a detachable lens hood. Why or why do
> > we pay $400-900 for these inferior Canons, Nikons, Olympuses
> > or Minoltas, when for mere $1800 we can *also* get the one of
> > a kind detachable lens hood, a marvel of technology!
> >
> > (sarcasm off, now serious):
> > Well, I have send a 3rd protest letter to the editors of both
> > PC World and PC Magazine. This time its a divorce time for me.
> > I am canceling the subscriptions. They neglect severely computer
> > technology and try to become would-like-to-be Photo Magazines
> > with computers.
> >
> > Of course, as long enough people will accept this crap and keep
> > purchase their papers, they will keep printing their photography
> > "tests" and rank lists of cameras. "Ease of use Very Good, Battery
> > life fair, 88 points." I will rather stick with these old
> > fashioned photo magazines. Maybe their writers still know more
> > about photography? What do you think, do they? Or will American
> > Photographer begin soon to test processors and graphic cards?
> >
> > Thomas

ThomasH

Paul J Gans wrote:

> ArtKramr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >>Of course, as long enough people will accept this crap and keep
> >>purchase their papers, they will keep printing their photography
> >>"tests" and rank lists of cameras. "Ease of use Very Good, Battery
> >>life fair, 88 points." I will rather stick with these old
> >>fashioned photo magazines. Maybe their writers still know more
> >>about photography? What do you think, do they? Or will American
> >>Photographer begin soon to test processors and graphic cards?
> >>
> >>Thomas
> >>

> >I think the last of the great photo magazines was Modern Photography. When they
> >folded, it was all over.

> I agree.
>
> ---- Paul J. Gans

And what is your opinion about Photo Techniques (phototechmag.com)?

Thomas