Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > LCD Bulb Burned Out?

LCD Bulb Burned Out?

Andrew Christopher

Hey all, I've had a Fuji FinePix 2650 for about a year and half now
and have not had any problems until recently.

The LCD screen has suddenly lost all of it's brightness and can only
be faintly seen indoors while holding it at an extreme angle. The LCD
brightness setting is still on "full" and the batteries have been
replaced to no avail. The camera still functions properly, and
everything is working fine - just can't view/use the LCD screen, which
makes it impossible to change the settings while outdoors.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I did some research on
the net, but couldn't really find anything. Is there a bulb that
lights up the LCD that could have burned out? Is it something that can
be replaced, or would I be better off looking into a new camera?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Andrew

Tim Anderson

> Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I did some research on
> the net, but couldn't really find anything. Is there a bulb that
> lights up the LCD that could have burned out? Is it something that can
> be replaced,

Theres a thin tube lamp backlighting the screen. Theres also an invertor
that changes the low battery voltage to a high low current voltage.

Both parts are cheap (if you can find them) BUT would be difficult to fit at
home. I've done the transplant between a Toshiba laptop and a Dell laptop
when the invertor died in the dell.

Other than that I think it's back to Fuji, laptop repairs are around
100-150 for this and I can predit that Fuji would want a lot more than
that.

> or would I be better off looking into a new camera?

Most likely, unless you bought an extended warrenty.

> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> -Andrew

No probs, I just hope I haven't ruined your day.

Tim

Eugene Kaplounovski

"Tim Anderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<40c4cf17$0$4578$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I did some research on
> > the net, but couldn't really find anything. Is there a bulb that
> > lights up the LCD that could have burned out? Is it something that can
> > be replaced,

> Theres a thin tube lamp backlighting the screen. Theres also an invertor
> that changes the low battery voltage to a high low current voltage.
>
> Both parts are cheap (if you can find them) BUT would be difficult to fit at
> home. I've done the transplant between a Toshiba laptop and a Dell laptop
> when the invertor died in the dell.
>
> Other than that I think it's back to Fuji, laptop repairs are around
> 100-150 for this and I can predit that Fuji would want a lot more than
> that.
>

> > or would I be better off looking into a new camera?

> Most likely, unless you bought an extended warrenty.
>

> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> > -Andrew

> No probs, I just hope I haven't ruined your day.
>

> Tim

Are you sure it's CFL and not a string of white LEDs that is used for
LCD backlight? In the latter case there would be no high voltage
inverter. In any case, the repair would require some knowledge of
electronics.
Eugene

Tim Anderson

> Are you sure it's CFL and not a string of white LEDs that is used for
> LCD backlight? In the latter case there would be no high voltage
> inverter. In any case, the repair would require some knowledge of
> electronics.

Now why didn't I think of that? The only thing that would be likely to
heppen then would be either a cable break between the screen and the main
camera board affecting only the power to the LEDs or all LEDs burned out at
the same time, the later I would be very suprised at due to the long life of
LEDs.

If the LEDs were cabled in series then only the first one in the chain would
need to blow, taking the rest with it BUT this is highly unlikely as they
are more likely to be in parrallel so one dieing would cause a dark section.

I would still say that if it has a TFT screen (highly likely) then it will
be a cathode tube.

Anyway, just had the back off the swivel screen on my G2 and that IS a tube
so I would suggest yours was but I cannot be sure.

Tim