Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Powershot S1 vs Finepix S5000

Powershot S1 vs Finepix S5000

kokomo_35

Hello !

I would like to buy a new digital camera. I am very interested in a
camera with a long zoom.
A have choosen two cameras, the Canon Powershot S1 and the Fuji
Finepix S5000. The Canon camera is much expensive than the other one.
Both look to have almost the same specifications, except the image
stabilizer. Is the Canon camera much better than the Fuji ?
Thank you for your help.

Thomas.

bagal

Hi Thomas

It is a good question! But it has far reaching consequences,

Such an innocent question may even start a flame war (see Foveon & Bayer
elsewhere in the newsgroup)

The best basis is what do you define as "better"?

The only factor IMHO is what suits you better based on experiencial use
This is usually difficult to fulfill because it is quite costly buying 2
cameras rather than just 1

I am sure that there will be exponents and supporters of each of the cameras
you mentioned

At this stage, the reviews afforded each camera tend to become important but
the, if like me, you discover that soome reviews are less independent than
others and may be biased it sort of challenges the conclusion in the review.
The conclusion may be spot-on but because of some oversight or innocently
chosen phrasing of words a sense of doubt creeps in

I hope fou enjou your quest to the better of the 2 - I have a declaration of
interests in the sense I have a Fuji P&S and love it to bits. Partly
because the menu system is a dream to use and the controls seem very easy
However, I have not used a Canon digital at all so I honestly cannot comment
about the merits and demerits

das B
"kokomo_35" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello !
>
> I would like to buy a new digital camera. I am very interested in a
> camera with a long zoom.
> A have choosen two cameras, the Canon Powershot S1 and the Fuji
> Finepix S5000. The Canon camera is much expensive than the other one.
> Both look to have almost the same specifications, except the image
> stabilizer. Is the Canon camera much better than the Fuji ?
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Thomas.

David Sommers

The long zoom on the Canon S1 IS would be virtually useless without the
image stabilizer. I'd have to say the Canon would be the most practical and
useful camera for taking pictures with long zoom. Check out my example shots
taken with my S1 IS. Most of these would have been blurry (motion blur) if
it wasn't for the IS.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/65681DD78AA764D

Bye.

"kokomo_35" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello !
>
> I would like to buy a new digital camera. I am very interested in a
> camera with a long zoom.
> A have choosen two cameras, the Canon Powershot S1 and the Fuji
> Finepix S5000. The Canon camera is much expensive than the other one.
> Both look to have almost the same specifications, except the image
> stabilizer. Is the Canon camera much better than the Fuji ?
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Thomas.

Kirk Davison

I own the s5000. I love most everything about it. The only thing I wish it
had was image stabilization. The only time I would need this is in a gym
for basketball. For outside shots the lens gets enough light to overcome
the movement.
"kokomo_35" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello !
>
> I would like to buy a new digital camera. I am very interested in a
> camera with a long zoom.
> A have choosen two cameras, the Canon Powershot S1 and the Fuji
> Finepix S5000. The Canon camera is much expensive than the other one.
> Both look to have almost the same specifications, except the image
> stabilizer. Is the Canon camera much better than the Fuji ?
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Thomas.

Richard Cockburn

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (kokomo_35) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Is the Canon camera much better than the Fuji ?

Yes, on all counts.

--
"Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

-Richard Cockburn

bagal

define better?
dB

"Richard Cockburn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9501DFA2DEB15cockburnwebjettersco@130.133. 1.4...
> (E-Mail Removed) (kokomo_35) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om:
>
> > Is the Canon camera much better than the Fuji ?

> Yes, on all counts.
>
> --
> "Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)
>
> -Richard Cockburn

Richard Cockburn

"bagal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newsD8xc.348$yL2.301@newsfe2-win:

> define better?
> dB

What's better about the Canon? Let's see...image quality (number one IMO),
lens optics, IS (makes the difference for these long zooms), focus/metering
system, build, video, compact flash I/II convenience vs xD, JPG compression
settings, shswivel lcd, shutter speed range, manufaturer, etc.

Did i miss anything?