Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Rechargeable battery life

Rechargeable battery life

Wilt W

There has been a thread about NiMH self-discharge rate and someone's problem
with very short period of battery life even sitting idle. Some doubt the
claims of self -discharge that I have posted. Lest there be any further doubt
about facts vs. urban legend, I quote from a manufacturer of rechargeable
batteries:

"Alkaline batteries stored at "room temperature" self discharge at a rate of
less than two percent per year...At 85 degrees F they only lose about 5% per
year, but at 100 degrees they lose 25% per year. ...
NiMH and NiCd batteries self discharge at a MUCH faster rate than alkaline
batteries. In fact, at "room temperature" (about 70 degrees F) NiMH and NiCD
batteries will self discharge a few percent PER DAY. Storing them at lower
temperatures will slow their self discharge rate dramatically. NiMH batteries
stored at freezing will retain over 90% of their charge for full month. So it
might make sense to store them in a freezer. If you do, it's best to bring them
back to room temperature before using them. Even if you don't freeze your NiMH
batteries after charging them, you should store them in a cool place to
minimize their self discharge.

The rate of self discharge for any battery depends on the temperature at which
it's stored at. Stored at 70 degrees F (20 C) NiMH batteries will lose up to
40% of their charge within a month. "

--Wilt

Bill Turner

On 07 Jun 2004 04:50:53 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Wilt W) wrote:

>I quote from a manufacturer of rechargeable
>batteries:

May I ask which manufacturer?

--
BT

Wilt W

Ok, I just discovered it was not a 'manufacturer' but someone in the business
of selling Li-ion and NiMH batteries...

http://www.greenbatteries.com/documents/Battery_FAQ.htm