Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 4-5MP cameras versus old Kodak DC280 2MP question

4-5MP cameras versus old Kodak DC280 2MP question

the6carrules

I was wondering - will I basically be impressed with just about any
4-5 megapixal camera on the market today if I were to compare it to my
current Kodak DC280 2 megapixal camera which is 5 years old.

Basically the question I want answered is; is it worth spending 500+
dollars on something like a Canon G5, or will the $350
Canon/Kodak/Sony cameras do it for me. Is the extra $150 worth the
upgrade in terms of features (that I probably wont' use since I'm used
to the DC280 not having many). Will the extra $150 be noticable in
the finish picture, keeping in mind what I"m going from - will the
"wow factor" be there with the $350 camera going from the DC280?

Most of the stuff I'm doing is family stuff - holidays, playing with
the kids, camping, etc... I"m not, nor do I ever intend to do anything
even remotely professional with this - like adding external lights,
etc... I think I'd use some of the more advance features, but also
need it to be just a P&S for those times when I need a quick pic to
turn out nicely.

I'm currently waging an internal war between the following choices:

Canon A80, S50, S60, G5, S410/s500
Kodak CX7530, DX7630
Sony DSC-V1, DSC-TI

I'm liking the A80 because of price and compatibility with my current
CF media and multiple sets of AAs (both of which my current camera
uses)

I'm liking the G5 because the battery is the same as my Canon Optura
20 camcorder - which would give me 3 of them, so buying an extra one
isn't pointless for me.

So the A80 4mp versus the G5 5mp when compared to my 2mp - which one,
and then what about the others I mentioned, like the very small s500.

nellybly

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
the6carrules <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I was wondering - will I basically be impressed with just about any
> 4-5 megapixal camera on the market today if I were to compare it to my
> current Kodak DC280 2 megapixal camera which is 5 years old.

Check out the Imaing Resource Comparometer
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/CDISPLAY.HTM
You can compare images from your Kodak with many of the more current
models.
NB

Martik

"the6carrules" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>I was wondering - will I basically be impressed with just about any
> 4-5 megapixal camera on the market today if I were to compare it to my
> current Kodak DC280 2 megapixal camera which is 5 years old.
>
> Basically the question I want answered is; is it worth spending 500+
> dollars on something like a Canon G5, or will the $350
> Canon/Kodak/Sony cameras do it for me. Is the extra $150 worth the
> upgrade in terms of features (that I probably wont' use since I'm used
> to the DC280 not having many). Will the extra $150 be noticable in
> the finish picture, keeping in mind what I"m going from - will the
> "wow factor" be there with the $350 camera going from the DC280?
>

> Most of the stuff I'm doing is family stuff - holidays, playing with
> the kids, camping, etc... I"m not, nor do I ever intend to do anything
> even remotely professional with this - like adding external lights,
> etc... I think I'd use some of the more advance features, but also
> need it to be just a P&S for those times when I need a quick pic to
> turn out nicely.
>
> I'm currently waging an internal war between the following choices:
>
> Canon A80, S50, S60, G5, S410/s500
> Kodak CX7530, DX7630
> Sony DSC-V1, DSC-TI
>
> I'm liking the A80 because of price and compatibility with my current
> CF media and multiple sets of AAs (both of which my current camera
> uses)
>
> I'm liking the G5 because the battery is the same as my Canon Optura
> 20 camcorder - which would give me 3 of them, so buying an extra one
> isn't pointless for me.
>
> So the A80 4mp versus the G5 5mp when compared to my 2mp - which one,
> and then what about the others I mentioned, like the very small s500.

If you are not printing beyond 5x7 or even the occasional 8x10 you are
probably wasting your money.

Also, 4-5MP will require alot more CF memory.

I am completely satisfied with the A60 (2MP) which can be P/S or full
manual and excellent macro capability. The A80 would be a good choice with
many of the same features and a swivel LCD. Keep in mind the A80 video is
1/2 the resolution of the A70.

Maybe post your question at http://forums.powershot-a.com/

Ron Hunter

the6carrules wrote:

> I was wondering - will I basically be impressed with just about any
> 4-5 megapixal camera on the market today if I were to compare it to my
> current Kodak DC280 2 megapixal camera which is 5 years old.
>
> Basically the question I want answered is; is it worth spending 500+
> dollars on something like a Canon G5, or will the $350
> Canon/Kodak/Sony cameras do it for me. Is the extra $150 worth the
> upgrade in terms of features (that I probably wont' use since I'm used
> to the DC280 not having many). Will the extra $150 be noticable in
> the finish picture, keeping in mind what I"m going from - will the
> "wow factor" be there with the $350 camera going from the DC280?
>

> Most of the stuff I'm doing is family stuff - holidays, playing with
> the kids, camping, etc... I"m not, nor do I ever intend to do anything
> even remotely professional with this - like adding external lights,
> etc... I think I'd use some of the more advance features, but also
> need it to be just a P&S for those times when I need a quick pic to
> turn out nicely.
>
> I'm currently waging an internal war between the following choices:
>
> Canon A80, S50, S60, G5, S410/s500
> Kodak CX7530, DX7630
> Sony DSC-V1, DSC-TI
>
> I'm liking the A80 because of price and compatibility with my current
> CF media and multiple sets of AAs (both of which my current camera
> uses)
>
> I'm liking the G5 because the battery is the same as my Canon Optura
> 20 camcorder - which would give me 3 of them, so buying an extra one
> isn't pointless for me.
>
> So the A80 4mp versus the G5 5mp when compared to my 2mp - which one,
> and then what about the others I mentioned, like the very small s500.

I think you will find that there is not much of a WOW factor. Unless
you do prints up to 8x10, or larger, there won't be much difference
visible in the average picture. You will notice a great deal of extra
convenience, and a wider range of shooting options, and more conditions
where pictures will be possible. In addition, you will have more
flexibility in the cropping of pictures without losing quality in the
print. Getting a camera with a 4-10x zoom will also improve your
options for taking good pictures.

Kenneth Parkins

Hmm - Well I am sure that my old 2Mgpix Fuji Finepix 2600zoom takes far
better pictures than my newish 5 Mgpix Canon S50. Be prepared to be
disappointed!

--
Regards
Ken Parkins
"the6carrules" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I was wondering - will I basically be impressed with just about any
> 4-5 megapixal camera on the market today if I were to compare it to my
> current Kodak DC280 2 megapixal camera which is 5 years old.
>
> Basically the question I want answered is; is it worth spending 500+
> dollars on something like a Canon G5, or will the $350
> Canon/Kodak/Sony cameras do it for me. Is the extra $150 worth the
> upgrade in terms of features (that I probably wont' use since I'm used
> to the DC280 not having many). Will the extra $150 be noticable in
> the finish picture, keeping in mind what I"m going from - will the
> "wow factor" be there with the $350 camera going from the DC280?
>

> Most of the stuff I'm doing is family stuff - holidays, playing with
> the kids, camping, etc... I"m not, nor do I ever intend to do anything
> even remotely professional with this - like adding external lights,
> etc... I think I'd use some of the more advance features, but also
> need it to be just a P&S for those times when I need a quick pic to
> turn out nicely.
>
> I'm currently waging an internal war between the following choices:
>
> Canon A80, S50, S60, G5, S410/s500
> Kodak CX7530, DX7630
> Sony DSC-V1, DSC-TI
>
> I'm liking the A80 because of price and compatibility with my current
> CF media and multiple sets of AAs (both of which my current camera
> uses)
>
> I'm liking the G5 because the battery is the same as my Canon Optura
> 20 camcorder - which would give me 3 of them, so buying an extra one
> isn't pointless for me.
>
> So the A80 4mp versus the G5 5mp when compared to my 2mp - which one,
> and then what about the others I mentioned, like the very small s500.

the6carrules

> I think you will find that there is not much of a WOW factor. Unless
> you do prints up to 8x10, or larger, there won't be much difference
> visible in the average picture. You will notice a great deal of extra
> convenience, and a wider range of shooting options, and more conditions
> where pictures will be possible. In addition, you will have more
> flexibility in the cropping of pictures without losing quality in the
> print. Getting a camera with a 4-10x zoom will also improve your
> options for taking good pictures.

Are you saying that there isn't going to be much of a "wow" factor
when comparing the 2MP camera with the 4MP-5MP, or when comparing the
4MP with the 5MP?

I print anything between 2x2 to 8x10 (would print larger, but current
printer won't handle it. I suspect that if/when I buy a new printer,
one of the requirements will be the ability to handle larger paper.)

If I'm understanding both replies to my question, just about any 4-5
MP camera is going to be an improvement on the larger pictures, but
not the smaller pictures over the DC280. And if I'm the largest i'm
going to print is an 8x10, the 4MP should be fine.....

Ron Baird

Greetings Carrules,

I can appreciate your need for information.

I believe, however, that a purchase of a new camera like the one you have
noted, is really a personal choice. Noting your intentions and the reality
of your picture taking is very wise. Some cameras, like computers, can do
amazing things and provide you with many options. The question is will you
really ever use them? I know I have to ask myself that question every time
I consider something new for my computer.

My suggestion is to review what you want to spend, then look at the cameras
that are in that range keeping in mind what you plan to do with it. No
sense in having a camera that is going to do things you will never use. On
the other hand, if you see yourself growing into a new picture taking world,
conisder the advancements and options.

For me, the DX6490 is terrific, as is the DX7630. Both provide the latest
in technology. What size prints etc. would you be making if any? If not
20x30, then I would consider the DX6490 (http://www.kodak.com/go/dx6490).
If you want to go larger and use more of the advances and advantges, review
the DX7640 (http://www.kodak.com/go/dx7640).

After a review and you have an interest in one or the other, let me know and
I will be glad to share with you.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"> I was wondering - will I basically be impressed with just about any
> 4-5 megapixal camera on the market today if I were to compare it to my
> current Kodak DC280 2 megapixal camera which is 5 years old.
>
> Basically the question I want answered is; is it worth spending 500+
> dollars on something like a Canon G5, or will the $350
> Canon/Kodak/Sony cameras do it for me. Is the extra $150 worth the
> upgrade in terms of features (that I probably wont' use since I'm used
> to the DC280 not having many). Will the extra $150 be noticable in
> the finish picture, keeping in mind what I"m going from - will the
> "wow factor" be there with the $350 camera going from the DC280?
>

> Most of the stuff I'm doing is family stuff - holidays, playing with
> the kids, camping, etc... I"m not, nor do I ever intend to do anything
> even remotely professional with this - like adding external lights,
> etc... I think I'd use some of the more advance features, but also
> need it to be just a P&S for those times when I need a quick pic to
> turn out nicely.
>
> I'm currently waging an internal war between the following choices:
>
> Canon A80, S50, S60, G5, S410/s500
> Kodak CX7530, DX7630
> Sony DSC-V1, DSC-TI

Ron Hunter

the6carrules wrote:

>>I think you will find that there is not much of a WOW factor. Unless
>>you do prints up to 8x10, or larger, there won't be much difference
>>visible in the average picture. You will notice a great deal of extra
>>convenience, and a wider range of shooting options, and more conditions
>>where pictures will be possible. In addition, you will have more
>>flexibility in the cropping of pictures without losing quality in the
>>print. Getting a camera with a 4-10x zoom will also improve your
>>options for taking good pictures.

> Are you saying that there isn't going to be much of a "wow" factor
> when comparing the 2MP camera with the 4MP-5MP, or when comparing the
> 4MP with the 5MP?
>
> I print anything between 2x2 to 8x10 (would print larger, but current
> printer won't handle it. I suspect that if/when I buy a new printer,
> one of the requirements will be the ability to handle larger paper.)
>
> If I'm understanding both replies to my question, just about any 4-5
> MP camera is going to be an improvement on the larger pictures, but
> not the smaller pictures over the DC280. And if I'm the largest i'm
> going to print is an 8x10, the 4MP should be fine.....

That is correct. Actually, a 3 mp would do up to 8x10. Other features
may affect your choice, however.
I find that the agressive compression in my DX6440 virtually eliminates
any advantage offered by the 4 mp sensor over my older 2 mp camera.

Bob Flint

On 6 Jun 2004 20:47:44 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (the6carrules) wrote:

>I was wondering - will I basically be impressed with just about any
>4-5 megapixal camera on the market today if I were to compare it to my
>current Kodak DC280 2 megapixal camera which is 5 years old.

I used to have a 280, and I thought it took better pics then a cheap Olympus
that I used to borrow. Then, I bought a Minolta Dimage7i, and the difference was
amazing! Not just because of the greater pixels, but because of better color and
better looking pictures. Then, I got a Nikon D70, and it's another step up in
quality, even though the pixel count is almost the same. (6 and 5)

It's not just the number of pixels, but color fidelity, focus, depth of field,
noise, and other things. The more flexible the adjustments are on your camera,
the better the pics will be, since you can adjust for more situations.

And of course, today's sensors make the older ones look like caca! I can get
better shots at ISO 800 with my D70 then anything with the old 280.

I can't tell you much about the inexpensive cameras, BUT I can tell you one
thing - one 'times 3 zoom' cam is not the same as another 'times 3 zoom'. Some
have all the zoom capability as wide angle, in some it's telephoto, and others
have a mix. You need to compare the actual view in the camera, not just the
advertising!

Bob

>Basically the question I want answered is; is it worth spending 500+
>dollars on something like a Canon G5, or will the $350
>Canon/Kodak/Sony cameras do it for me. Is the extra $150 worth the
>upgrade in terms of features (that I probably wont' use since I'm used
>to the DC280 not having many). Will the extra $150 be noticable in
>the finish picture, keeping in mind what I"m going from - will the
>"wow factor" be there with the $350 camera going from the DC280?
>

>Most of the stuff I'm doing is family stuff - holidays, playing with
>the kids, camping, etc... I"m not, nor do I ever intend to do anything
>even remotely professional with this - like adding external lights,
>etc... I think I'd use some of the more advance features, but also
>need it to be just a P&S for those times when I need a quick pic to
>turn out nicely.
>
>I'm currently waging an internal war between the following choices:
>
>Canon A80, S50, S60, G5, S410/s500
>Kodak CX7530, DX7630
>Sony DSC-V1, DSC-TI
>
>I'm liking the A80 because of price and compatibility with my current
>CF media and multiple sets of AAs (both of which my current camera
>uses)
>
>I'm liking the G5 because the battery is the same as my Canon Optura
>20 camcorder - which would give me 3 of them, so buying an extra one
>isn't pointless for me.
>
>So the A80 4mp versus the G5 5mp when compared to my 2mp - which one,
>and then what about the others I mentioned, like the very small s500.

the6carrules

> Hmm - Well I am sure that my old 2Mgpix Fuji Finepix 2600zoom takes far
> better pictures than my newish 5 Mgpix Canon S50. Be prepared to be
> disappointed!

Ken, you are sh@tting me. Seriously? So did you find that out after
you purchased it? Do you still use the Canon S50, or do you use your
Fuji?

S50 was one that was getting decent reviews.

I'm stunned that you are basically saying stick with the 2megapixel
camera.