Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Changing flash mode in Nikon D70

Changing flash mode in Nikon D70

chiefhiawatha

Hey there,

OK so I can change the modes from auto
to the various other modes, but how do I
tell the camera to not use the flash at all?

I'm trying to do this in manual mode, but
I cannot figure it out.

I've read the manual to no avail. Thanks to
anyone who is able to save me from swearing
and ignoring my family for a second
consecutive day.

adm

"chiefhiawatha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hey there,
>
> OK so I can change the modes from auto
> to the various other modes, but how do I
> tell the camera to not use the flash at all?
>
> I'm trying to do this in manual mode, but
> I cannot figure it out.

Just leave the flash down.

> I've read the manual to no avail. Thanks to
> anyone who is able to save me from swearing
> and ignoring my family for a second
> consecutive day.

chiefhiawatha

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "adm" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> "chiefhiawatha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Hey there,
> >
> > OK so I can change the modes from auto
> > to the various other modes, but how do I
> > tell the camera to not use the flash at all?
> >
> > I'm trying to do this in manual mode, but
> > I cannot figure it out.

> Just leave the flash down.

OK but then a moment later when I setup for
another shot the speedlight will pop up again.

It will keep doing this after a period of inactivity
with the camera.

So how di I get the bolt with the circle/slash
through it.

Roger Halstead

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 13:35:53 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(chiefhiawatha) wrote:

>Hey there,
>
>OK so I can change the modes from auto
>to the various other modes, but how do I
>tell the camera to not use the flash at all?

Just leave the flash down. It isn't going to fire in the down
position.

>I'm trying to do this in manual mode, but
>I cannot figure it out.

What ever mode it just won't frire when it's down.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>I've read the manual to no avail. Thanks to
>anyone who is able to save me from swearing
>and ignoring my family for a second
>consecutive day.

Bob Flint

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 15:48:30 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)
(chiefhiawatha) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "adm" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>> "chiefhiawatha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > Hey there,
>> >
>> > OK so I can change the modes from auto
>> > to the various other modes, but how do I
>> > tell the camera to not use the flash at all?
>> >
>> > I'm trying to do this in manual mode, but
>> > I cannot figure it out.

>> Just leave the flash down.

>OK but then a moment later when I setup for
>another shot the speedlight will pop up again.

It only pops up in AUTO and some of the preset modes.

You can turn it off...

>It will keep doing this after a period of inactivity
>with the camera.
>
>So how di I get the bolt with the circle/slash
>through it.

Push the flash button on the side of the camera that causes the flash to pop up,
HOLD THE BUTTON IN, now turn the command dial with your thumb until the top
display on the camera indicates the flash/off sign. Let go the button and push
the flash unit down. There you go!

Guy Scharf

(E-Mail Removed) (chiefhiawatha) wrote:

> OK so I can change the modes from auto
> to the various other modes, but how do I
> tell the camera to not use the flash at all?
>
> I'm trying to do this in manual mode, but
> I cannot figure it out.
>
> I've read the manual to no avail. Thanks to
> anyone who is able to save me from swearing
> and ignoring my family for a second
> consecutive day.

In any of the P, A, S, M modes, the flash will fire only if you open
the flash yourself. It will not open automatically. In some of the
vari-program modes, like AUTO, the camera will open the flash if it
thinks it is needed.

See page 182 of the user manual (US English edition) for a list of
those modes in which the flash will pop up automatically. If you don't
want that to happen, use a mode without auto pop up.

Guy