Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > digital pinhole

digital pinhole

Ivan

Has anyone built a digital pinhole camera in their workshop yet?

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Ivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Has anyone built a digital pinhole camera in their workshop yet?

Why? You'd get nothing but blur.

dslr

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Ivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone built a digital pinhole camera in their workshop yet?

> Why? You'd get nothing but blur.

Rubbish.
If that were true, no pinhole camera would work - but they do.
There's at least one company in the UK supplying pinhole body caps for
DSLRs.

--
regards,
dslr

Veijo Timonen

Ivan wrote:

> Has anyone built a digital pinhole camera in their workshop yet?

I have tested the pinhole with Canon 10 D.

http://kotiweb.kotiportti.fi/veijo.t...anon_10_D.html

In this picture on the right is pinhole photos.

http://kotiweb.kotiportti.fi/veijo.t...ulanreika.html

Veijo T

Lionel

Kibo informs me that "Ivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> stated that:

>Has anyone built a digital pinhole camera in their workshop yet?

I tried drilling a hole in the body cap for my 10D. It worked, but not
very well. Most likely because I did a pretty untidy job on the hole, &
didn't make any effort to centre it accurately.

Chris Brown

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ivan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Has anyone built a digital pinhole camera in their workshop yet?

I made one using a spare EOS body cap and a D30 a couple of years ago.
Sample photo:

http://www.narcissus.uklinux.net/syv_pinhole.jpg

Martin Brown

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ivan
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Has anyone built a digital pinhole camera in their workshop yet?

It is one of the quick and dirty ways of testing astronomical CCD
cameras in daytime. No need to mess about with extension tubes or
focussing.

The diffraction effects and geometric blur are absolutely horrific.

Pinhole cameras work OK with 10x8 sheet film - they are pretty dire
quality on a tiny CCD.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Joseph Meehan

Lionel wrote:
> Kibo informs me that "Ivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> stated that:
>
>> Has anyone built a digital pinhole camera in their workshop yet?

> I tried drilling a hole in the body cap for my 10D. It worked, but not
> very well. Most likely because I did a pretty untidy job on the hole,
> & didn't make any effort to centre it accurately.

Not centered would give you the same effect as a shift in a view camera
or a PC SLR lens.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Paul W. Ross

Could you give us more technical details -- diameter of pinhole,
exposure, ISO setting of camera? THANKS! I have a Bender Photographic
4x5 Pinhole camera which is a lot of fun. I'd like to try this on my
Olympus C-5000. I can go up to 16 seconds exposure. Making a pinhole
is not hard. I use aluminum pie plate stock and a tapestry needle, and
1200 grit sandpaper to sand the "dimple" flat.

Chris Brown

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Paul W. Ross <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Could you give us more technical details -- diameter of pinhole,
>exposure, ISO setting of camera?

Don't know about the diameter of the pinhole - I made it by poking a needle
through aluminium foil. The exposure was 6 seconds at ISO 100. levels
adjusted in Photoshop.