Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon i9950/9900 first impressions - WOW

Canon i9950/9900 first impressions - WOW

DJ

I got my Canon i9950 (i9900 in the USA) about a week ago. It's an A3+ (13"x19")
printer with 8 colours : C, M, Y, K, pC, pM, Red and Green.

The results so far are AWESOME!

My camera is a Canon 300D. The prints on A3 generic brand glossy photo paper
(what I had lying around) look better than the same image on my 19" screen. Some
pictures of my 1 y.o. and 2 y.o. grandchildren are so crisp and clear they take
our breath away (maybe a bit of grand-parental bias there!)

There is absolutely no question that a camera in the 300D class (i.e. APS sized
sensor) can yield stunning prints at A3. I would be confident in going much
larger than that, given a poster sized print will be viewed from some distance.

I also printed out some older shots from my Nikon CP990 at up to A4 (8x10) and
they too look good. They do lack the knife edge sharpness of the 300D. One
reason is the noise from the samll sensor is so high that using USM is a dubious
proposition. I'm not yet up the curve on using noise reduction methods, and with
300D the need is not particularly pressing.

My only regret is that my father, who was a professional photographer and a very
avid proponent of small-format in a time when 35mm was regarded as indecent, did
not live to see this magic technology.

YoYo

I agree the Canon I9900 was AWESOME!

It even printed great on Kodak unlike
poor Epson haha.

"DJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I got my Canon i9950 (i9900 in the USA) about a week ago. It's an A3+

(13"x19")
> printer with 8 colours : C, M, Y, K, pC, pM, Red and Green.
>
> The results so far are AWESOME!
>
> My camera is a Canon 300D. The prints on A3 generic brand glossy photo

paper
> (what I had lying around) look better than the same image on my 19"

screen. Some
> pictures of my 1 y.o. and 2 y.o. grandchildren are so crisp and clear they

take
> our breath away (maybe a bit of grand-parental bias there!)
>
> There is absolutely no question that a camera in the 300D class (i.e. APS

sized
> sensor) can yield stunning prints at A3. I would be confident in going

much
> larger than that, given a poster sized print will be viewed from some

distance.

> I also printed out some older shots from my Nikon CP990 at up to A4 (8x10)

and
> they too look good. They do lack the knife edge sharpness of the 300D. One
> reason is the noise from the samll sensor is so high that using USM is a

dubious
> proposition. I'm not yet up the curve on using noise reduction methods,

and with
> 300D the need is not particularly pressing.
>
> My only regret is that my father, who was a professional photographer and

a very
> avid proponent of small-format in a time when 35mm was regarded as

indecent, did
> not live to see this magic technology.

Carl Valle

"YoYo" <(E-Mail Removed) your.business.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I agree the Canon I9900 was AWESOME!
>
> It even printed great on Kodak unlike
> poor Epson haha.
>
> "DJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I got my Canon i9950 (i9900 in the USA) about a week ago. It's an A3+

> (13"x19")
> > printer with 8 colours : C, M, Y, K, pC, pM, Red and Green.
> >
> > The results so far are AWESOME!
> >
> > My camera is a Canon 300D. The prints on A3 generic brand glossy photo

> paper
> > (what I had lying around) look better than the same image on my 19"

> screen. Some
> > pictures of my 1 y.o. and 2 y.o. grandchildren are so crisp and clear

they
> take
> > our breath away (maybe a bit of grand-parental bias there!)
> >
> > There is absolutely no question that a camera in the 300D class (i.e.

APS
> sized
> > sensor) can yield stunning prints at A3. I would be confident in going

> much
> > larger than that, given a poster sized print will be viewed from some

> distance.
> >
> > I also printed out some older shots from my Nikon CP990 at up to A4

(8x10)
> and
> > they too look good. They do lack the knife edge sharpness of the 300D.

One
> > reason is the noise from the samll sensor is so high that using USM is a

> dubious
> > proposition. I'm not yet up the curve on using noise reduction methods,

> and with
> > 300D the need is not particularly pressing.
> >
> > My only regret is that my father, who was a professional photographer

and
> a very
> > avid proponent of small-format in a time when 35mm was regarded as

> indecent, did
> > not live to see this magic technology.

I love my i9900
Makes all the difference between going digital
My friends epson 2200 doesn't even come close
I am soooo glad I waited
Prints off this printer look as good as cibachrome
And it printed exact color match to photoshop right out of the box

Check it out - It is the best thing that has happened to digital in years

Carl

Canon SD900: First impressions (Has anybody else tried it?) What, Me Worry? Digital Photography 4 11-07-2006 03:00 AM
Canon 5D: First Impressions with a few pics deryck lant Digital Photography 41 09-05-2005 02:33 PM
OT: Wow... just wow. FrisbeeŽ MCSE 35 07-05-2005 04:05 PM
Canon SD300 first impressions... and possible issue? Curt Bousquet Digital Photography 24 01-07-2005 04:16 PM
Canon 400 f/5.6L: First Impressions !!! Annika1980 Digital Photography 9 12-11-2003 10:22 PM

Advertisments