Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Indoor Lighting

Indoor Lighting

Tiny Lund

Hello all,
Perhaps someone can help me with indoor lighting? I have a Sony DSC-52
and have real problems getting a good indoor photo. I have tested nearly
every imaginable setting and still the picture is too dark or too bright. I
shoot clothing for resale and really have trouble with black clothing. Any
tips on what lighting I should use? Or settings? Thank you.

Joseph Meehan

Tiny Lund wrote:
> Hello all,
> Perhaps someone can help me with indoor lighting? I have a Sony
> DSC-52 and have real problems getting a good indoor photo. I have
> tested nearly every imaginable setting and still the picture is too
> dark or too bright. I shoot clothing for resale and really have
> trouble with black clothing. Any tips on what lighting I should use?
> Or settings? Thank you.

Indoor lighting is difficult. Find a good book on lighting and a good
light meter. Then figure out what means good lighting for your needs and
use the meter (spot meter preferred) to get it. A read on the "Zone" system
may be in order for more in-depth lighting theory and practice in particular
it will help you understand the black clothing issue.

This is not a "digital" issue, it is a general photographic issue.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

f1 studios

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hKkwc.27642$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tiny Lund wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > Perhaps someone can help me with indoor lighting? I have a Sony
> > DSC-52 and have real problems getting a good indoor photo. I have
> > tested nearly every imaginable setting and still the picture is too
> > dark or too bright. I shoot clothing for resale and really have
> > trouble with black clothing. Any tips on what lighting I should use?
> > Or settings? Thank you.

> Indoor lighting is difficult. Find a good book on lighting and a good
> light meter. Then figure out what means good lighting for your needs and
> use the meter (spot meter preferred) to get it. A read on the "Zone"

system
> may be in order for more in-depth lighting theory and practice in

particular
> it will help you understand the black clothing issue.
>
> This is not a "digital" issue, it is a general photographic issue.
>
> --
> Joseph E. Meehan
>
> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Are you talking about serious indoor lighting as in a studio or hanging the
clothes on the back of the bedroom door and using the in-built camera flash
like most e-bay photos?
I don't have any problems lighting models wearing black clothing in my
studio - in fact the colour of the clothing (or the model) doesn't make any
difference. Correct exposure is correct exposure whatever the subject.
If you are in the UK come to my studio and if you don't get decent results I
won't charge you.

Cheers

Mike
http://www.f1studios/co/uk

Tiny Lund

He He Mike! I am in Pennsylvania and yes I am shooting for Ebay. In fact, I
am hanging the clothes on a hook as well. I have a walk-in closet I may try
to make a studio. Now I suppose it is time to buy some lighting books and
spend money on some serious lights.
"f1 studios" <(E-Mail Removed)1studios.co.uk> wrote in message
news:c9t2e2$d81$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hKkwc.27642$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Tiny Lund wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > > Perhaps someone can help me with indoor lighting? I have a Sony
> > > DSC-52 and have real problems getting a good indoor photo. I have
> > > tested nearly every imaginable setting and still the picture is too
> > > dark or too bright. I shoot clothing for resale and really have
> > > trouble with black clothing. Any tips on what lighting I should use?
> > > Or settings? Thank you.

> > Indoor lighting is difficult. Find a good book on lighting and a

good
> > light meter. Then figure out what means good lighting for your needs

and
> > use the meter (spot meter preferred) to get it. A read on the "Zone"

> system
> > may be in order for more in-depth lighting theory and practice in

> particular
> > it will help you understand the black clothing issue.
> >
> > This is not a "digital" issue, it is a general photographic issue.
> >
> > --
> > Joseph E. Meehan
> >
> > 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
> >

> Are you talking about serious indoor lighting as in a studio or hanging

the
> clothes on the back of the bedroom door and using the in-built camera

flash
> like most e-bay photos?
> I don't have any problems lighting models wearing black clothing in my
> studio - in fact the colour of the clothing (or the model) doesn't make

any
> difference. Correct exposure is correct exposure whatever the subject.
> If you are in the UK come to my studio and if you don't get decent results

> won't charge you.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mike
> http://www.f1studios/co/uk

Joseph Meehan

Tiny Lund wrote:
> He He Mike! I am in Pennsylvania and yes I am shooting for Ebay. In
> fact, I am hanging the clothes on a hook as well. I have a walk-in
> closet I may try to make a studio. Now I suppose it is time to buy
> some lighting books and spend money on some serious lights.
> "f1 studios" <(E-Mail Removed)1studios.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:c9t2e2$d81$(E-Mail Removed)...

Read the books first. You may not need to buy much if anything. Good
lighting need not be expensive. Convenient, vestal, reliable, good lighting
is expensive however.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Tom Monego

>He He Mike! I am in Pennsylvania and yes I am shooting for Ebay. In fact, I
>am hanging the clothes on a hook as well. I have a walk-in closet I may try
>to make a studio. Now I suppose it is time to buy some lighting books and
>spend money on some serious lights.
>"f1 studios" <(E-Mail Removed)1studios.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:c9t2e2$d81$(E-Mail Removed)...

If this is the case then you really don't have enough light and the light you
do have is too directional (small on camers flash). A simple solution would be
find a flash your camera can use that you can bounce. A flash that can be
rotate vertically and use a Lumiquest bounce card. I know there are ways of
doing this with tape and paper, but the $20 spent on the Lumiquest simplifies
things. If you want to get into studio lighting, a simple Lowell Totalight kit
is a good investment, bounce the lights into the umbrellas, again to diffuse
the lighting. I deally to remove glare and minimize shadows your light source
should be bigger than your subject. I've shot motorcycles with two six foot
lightforms taped together and 4 Lowell Totalights.

Tom

f1 studios

OK - why not try using natural light through a window - cover the window
with some net curtain to diffuse the light and don't use a window with
direct sunlight.

Cheers

Mike
http://www.f1studios.co.uk