Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless works, cable does not

Wireless works, cable does not

Jeff

Hi
I am using XP SP2 in a home network. When I use my 11b wireless connection
(WPA protected) I have no problem. But when I try to connect using a Cat5
cable, the LAN remains stuck on acquiring address. The cable is attached
from the laptop's LAN port to the wireless router. I believe It used to
work.

Where do I start to look to see where the problem might lie?

Jeff

Ryan Younger

Ok, have you eliminated a damaged Cat5 cable? Have you verified that the
network adapter on your laptop is working (have you connected to any other
wired networks successfully recently?). Do you have any other computers
which you can connect to the ethernet port on the router as a test?

It would seem sensible to assume that the problem is either your laptop
(software or hardware or both), the wireless router or the Cat5 cable. You
just need to eliminate two of these variables and you will have your
culprit.

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
Networking Weblog

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I am using XP SP2 in a home network. When I use my 11b wireless connection
> (WPA protected) I have no problem. But when I try to connect using a Cat5
> cable, the LAN remains stuck on acquiring address. The cable is attached
> from the laptop's LAN port to the wireless router. I believe It used to
> work.
>
> Where do I start to look to see where the problem might lie?
>
> Jeff

Jeff

Thank you for replying. I had already eliminated all these. Turned out to
be the router's MAC filter that was at fault.

Jeff

"Ryan Younger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, have you eliminated a damaged Cat5 cable? Have you verified that the
> network adapter on your laptop is working (have you connected to any other
> wired networks successfully recently?). Do you have any other computers
> which you can connect to the ethernet port on the router as a test?
>
> It would seem sensible to assume that the problem is either your laptop
> (software or hardware or both), the wireless router or the Cat5 cable.
> You just need to eliminate two of these variables and you will have your
> culprit.
>

> --
> All the best,
>
> Ryan Younger.
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/ - Ryan's Wireless
> Networking Weblog
>
> (E-Mail Removed)
>

> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> I am using XP SP2 in a home network. When I use my 11b wireless
>> connection
>> (WPA protected) I have no problem. But when I try to connect using a
>> Cat5
>> cable, the LAN remains stuck on acquiring address. The cable is attached
>> from the laptop's LAN port to the wireless router. I believe It used to
>> work.
>>
>> Where do I start to look to see where the problem might lie?
>>
>> Jeff

Ryan Younger

So the router was the culprit. MAC address filtering can be an
administratice headache if you use a number of different machines. Also
remember that someone packet sniffing can acquire your MAC address anyway
(wireless frames contain source and destination MAC addresses).

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
Networking Weblog