Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Powershot G3 and flash speedlite 420EX : overexpose in fill-flash

Canon Powershot G3 and flash speedlite 420EX : overexpose in fill-flash

Charles Bueche

Hi,

this is otherwise a great combination for indoor, but in all my
attempts to use fill-flash outdoor, I get systematic over-exposure.

Example for indoor :
http://www.preles.ch/gallery/album11/13_19_34_img_2183

Example for outdoor (I have retouched it with gimp to make it a bit
darker, but it was originaly completely white'd) :
http://www.preles.ch/gallery/album11...mg_2184?full=1

I have tried the FP mode "H" switch on the flash and "P" mode on the
G3, it produce the same over-exposure.

My G3 has the latest firmware. Help wanted... I cannot use outdoor
fill-flash at all :-/

Charles

Zol.

"Charles Bueche" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hi,
>
> this is otherwise a great combination for indoor, but in all my
> attempts to use fill-flash outdoor, I get systematic over-exposure.
>
> Example for indoor :
> http://www.preles.ch/gallery/album11/13_19_34_img_2183
>
> Example for outdoor (I have retouched it with gimp to make it a bit
> darker, but it was originaly completely white'd) :
> http://www.preles.ch/gallery/album11...mg_2184?full=1
>
> I have tried the FP mode "H" switch on the flash and "P" mode on the
> G3, it produce the same over-exposure.
>
> My G3 has the latest firmware. Help wanted... I cannot use outdoor
> fill-flash at all :-/
>
> Charles

What was your light metering method? and was the camera on a slow sync or normal mode?
I`m not too familiar with flash techniques (still learning) - one thing you could try (I`m
not saying this is correct but may help) - have the camera setup with the flash unit but
switch the flash off, then compose the shot and lock the exposure (`*` button?) then switch
the flash on and take the shot. I think if you figure the exposure for the sky in the
outdoor shot and use the flash it should fill in the closer detail which would then be dark.

I think probably somebody else out there can help more.

Zol.

Charles Bueche

Hi,

I have done a few more tests, and it suddenly started to work. I
suspect a bad contact within my flash on the "green/FP" switch. Or
maybe I'm just dumb and need more tests to understand my equipment.

Thanks anyway,
Charles