Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > kodak dx4900

kodak dx4900

antony barker

I've just acquired my first digital camera.It was explained to me that
kodak's are heavy on batteries and not to move too far away from the docking
station!!!However on a full charge after just a few shots the low battery
symbol starts to flash.When I used it in the close up mode it actually shut
down.I switched on again and continued shooting(approx 10% with
flash)finally running out of juice after 72 shots!!!!!!
Is this unique to my camera?Could it be a faulty battery?A software problem?
I would appreciate any help from you guys as this is spoiling an otherwise
decent piece of kit.
Cheers.
Tony .B

Pete

In article <jMWvc.12$Gc1.11@newsfe3-gui>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote

> I've just acquired my first digital camera.It was explained to me that
> kodak's are heavy on batteries and not to move too far away from the docking
> station!!!However on a full charge after just a few shots the low battery
> symbol starts to flash.When I used it in the close up mode it actually shut
> down.I switched on again and continued shooting(approx 10% with
> flash)finally running out of juice after 72 shots!!!!!!
> Is this unique to my camera?Could it be a faulty battery?A software problem?
> I would appreciate any help from you guys as this is spoiling an otherwise
> decent piece of kit.
> Cheers.
> Tony .B

Sounds like the batteries to me. I'd try alternative bty's to verify
that the ones you got are in fact the problem.

Conrad Weiler

Hi Tony,

<< It was explained to me that
kodak's are heavy on batteries >>

I've had a DX4900 for several years and no trouble with batteries. I use two
NiMH batteries and get probably 100-150 shots (at least) with these. I don't
have a docking station but use a card resder for transfer.

Enjoy your new 4-megapixel camera. Wonderful color in outdoor shots.

Best,

Conrad

Conrad Weiler
Camp Sherman, Oregon

Ron Hunter

antony barker wrote:

> I've just acquired my first digital camera.It was explained to me that
> kodak's are heavy on batteries and not to move too far away from the docking
> station!!!However on a full charge after just a few shots the low battery
> symbol starts to flash.When I used it in the close up mode it actually shut
> down.I switched on again and continued shooting(approx 10% with
> flash)finally running out of juice after 72 shots!!!!!!
> Is this unique to my camera?Could it be a faulty battery?A software problem?
> I would appreciate any help from you guys as this is spoiling an otherwise
> decent piece of kit.
> Cheers.
> Tony .B

Until the batteries have been through a few charge/discharge cycles,
this problem comes up often. Just had a similar experience with new
NIMH batteries on vacation. It's annoying, but don't give up on them.
They will work much better with a few rechargings.

Ron Baird

Greetings Antony,

Actually, Antony, the battery issue you note has been reviewed before. Let
me share a page on our website that reviews this information. Essentially,
the issue is with how the batteries are charged and how long they may sit
without use. Once you have reviewed this information and you have
additional questions, let me know and I will follow through for you. Please
keep in mind that Ni-MH batteries may not charge to full capacity the first
time they are charged, or after a long period of non-use.

The first-time charge of the KODAK EASYSHARE Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery Pack
should take approximately 2 hours. If the Camera Dock light turns green
(indicating a full charge) in less than 2 hours, repeat the charge cycle as
follows:

First-time Charge:

1. To begin charging, place the camera on the KODAK EASYSHARE Camera Dock.
Refer to your camera User's Guide for details.
2. When the charge light turns green, remove the camera from the dock.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until the combined charge time is 2 hours.

Subsequent charges of the Battery Pack will not require multiple charging
cycles unless left uncharged for a long period of time (greater than 2
months).

For more information, please refer to the URL below:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi.../tib4324.shtml

Talk to you soon, Antony, I will be here for you later if you need me.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"antony barker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I've just acquired my first digital camera.It was explained to me that
> kodak's are heavy on batteries and not to move too far away from the

docking
> station!!!However on a full charge after just a few shots the low battery
> symbol starts to flash.When I used it in the close up mode it actually

shut
> down.I switched on again and continued shooting(approx 10% with
> flash)finally running out of juice after 72 shots!!!!!!
> Is this unique to my camera?Could it be a faulty battery?A software

problem?
> I would appreciate any help from you guys as this is spoiling an otherwise
> decent piece of kit.
> Cheers.
> Tony .B

Ron Hunter

Ron Baird wrote:

> Greetings Antony,
>
> Actually, Antony, the battery issue you note has been reviewed before. Let
> me share a page on our website that reviews this information. Essentially,
> the issue is with how the batteries are charged and how long they may sit
> without use. Once you have reviewed this information and you have
> additional questions, let me know and I will follow through for you. Please
> keep in mind that Ni-MH batteries may not charge to full capacity the first
> time they are charged, or after a long period of non-use.
>
> The first-time charge of the KODAK EASYSHARE Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery Pack
> should take approximately 2 hours. If the Camera Dock light turns green
> (indicating a full charge) in less than 2 hours, repeat the charge cycle as
> follows:
>
> First-time Charge:
>
> 1. To begin charging, place the camera on the KODAK EASYSHARE Camera Dock.
> Refer to your camera User's Guide for details.
> 2. When the charge light turns green, remove the camera from the dock.
> 3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until the combined charge time is 2 hours.
>
> Subsequent charges of the Battery Pack will not require multiple charging
> cycles unless left uncharged for a long period of time (greater than 2
> months).
>
> For more information, please refer to the URL below:
>
> http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi.../tib4324.shtml
>
> Talk to you soon, Antony, I will be here for you later if you need me.
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company
>

> "antony barker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>I've just acquired my first digital camera.It was explained to me that
>>kodak's are heavy on batteries and not to move too far away from the

> docking
>
>>station!!!However on a full charge after just a few shots the low battery
>>symbol starts to flash.When I used it in the close up mode it actually

> shut
>
>>down.I switched on again and continued shooting(approx 10% with
>>flash)finally running out of juice after 72 shots!!!!!!
>>Is this unique to my camera?Could it be a faulty battery?A software

> problem?
>
>>I would appreciate any help from you guys as this is spoiling an otherwise
>>decent piece of kit.
>>Cheers.
>>Tony .B

Just a note about battery life on the DX6440. I used a freshly charged
Kodak NIMH battery pack on my recent trip to Alaska, and it lasted for
200 shots, many of them with flash, and considerable use of the LCD for
review and for closeups. Trying to use other NIMH batteries, freshly
charged, gave me very short usage times, so I just put in a CRV3 battery
and I removed at after another 270 pictures, and much review time, and
it was still going strong. It now becomes a backup battery.