Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What speed memory for canon powershot S1?

What speed memory for canon powershot S1?

Jason

hello,

I read a review of the s1 that said that you needed a fast memory card to
record video. It did not say how fast though. How fast is fast? What speed
do I need. thanks,

jason

David Sommers

Yes, it does need to be fast. Unfortunately, there is no good criteria for
Compact Flash Card speed. I bought a PQI 256MB CF card for my S1 IS that had
specifications that seemed more than fast enough. It wasn't. Then, on a
whim, I bought a PQI 512MB CF card that was not rated with any particular
speed . . . . well, you know it worked like a charm.

When I say work, I mean it will record 640f @ 30FPS video continuously
without buffer overflow. Any CF card will record still images in the S1 IS.

From my research it seems that most 512MB and 1GB CF cards will work
properly, while smaller CF cards are kind of iffy.

So, getting a SanDisk Ultra II 40X, or whatever, will likely work. It's
finding the least expensive that still works - that's the trick.

For some insight, read up on this at:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8907874

Bye.