Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon A75 "softness"

Reply
Thread Tools

Canon A75 "softness"

 
 
Martik
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2004
Maybe this comparometer will help:

Select the Canon A75 on the right and compare it to any other camera on the
left.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/CDISPLAY.HTM


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jim Spen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2004

"Brian C. Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> In article <97Zvc.21235$(E-Mail Removed) k.net>,
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > 1.. Knowledge or information based on real occurrences: an account

based
> > on fact; a blur of fact and fancy. YES THIS WAS TESTED AND FOUND TO BE

A
> > REAL OCCURANCE BY MYSELF<<< MANY OTHERS AND PROFESSIONAL REVIEWERS>>>

>
> Which doesn't mean squat.
>
> Jim, get yourself under control. You're not objective, and you never
> have been in this matter. Because I happen to disagree with your
> conclusions, you have taken a course of personal attacks against me with
> a tone I do not appreciate. I think you need to rethink your attachment
> to this issue. An apology from you may or may not be in order, I leave
> that decision up to you.
>
> Reading your posts, I am reminded of an event that occurred a few years
> ago involving silicon. In particular, silicon breast implants.
> Numerous people had claimed their auto immune illnesses had been caused
> by leaky (or in some cases, not even that) breast implants. These
> individuals, with the support of some limited research, launched a
> crusade against Dow Chemical, manufacturer of the implants. They
> claimed the facts were on their side.
>
> To make a long story short, Dow Chemical decided to settle out of court
> to prevent a long legal battle that could have been disastrous to their
> core business. As we all know, breasts in America are a very sensitive
> issue and a jury could be easily swayed by their emotions into making
> less than objective decisions. Dow Chemical made the wrong decision.
>
> About a year later, if I remember correctly, The New England Journal of
> Medicine released a study done over a large sample group (nurses) and
> compared the rates of auto immune disease in women with implants versus
> those without. The study concluded that silicon breast implants did not
> increase your risk of auto immune disease - the rate of auto immune
> disease was the same in both groups. Although initial research pointed
> to a link, a large, objective study proved that link to be false.
>
> Moral of the story: Large groups of people (especially emotional and
> opinionated ones) can be, and often are, wrong.
>
> Are you right or wrong? I can't say. I can say your reasoning and
> conclusions up to this point have been ill-informed, and there is a
> dearth of hard information from you. You fail to question your own
> conclusions and get irate when others do. This shows you impart a
> pretty strong bias in your reasoning, something that makes it very
> difficult for you understand the very simple concepts I have laid out
> before you.
>
> If you kept your responses less declaratory and your language less
> severe, I would have never ever spoken on the subject. Because you did
> declare your opinion was indeed fact, and you did so in such a rude
> manner, all you did was feed hysteria. I felt obligated to inform you
> that your conclusions were not based upon sound logic and the opinions
> you expressed were not fact. You've done nothing to convince me
> otherwise.


This discussion is not being objective, emotional and out of control from my
point of view.
I could care less about "convincing you", I am just astounded at your
thickheadedness
at even acknowledging the camera takes pictures on the soft side,
documented by
me and many other including professional reviews... I can see why you are
taking it personally because
you still own the camera, I sold mine so it is no skin off my nose, just
don't like to see facts swept under the rug...
There is enough supporting evidence to document the softness of this series
of camera to hide it, excuse it or lie about, it is futile...
Your comparing implants to this discussion??? I am not even going there,
pretty lame and pathetic...

It is a fixable problem as we have already discussed if you like to post
sharpen. Simple solution to those who like to post process
NOT ALL PEOPLE DO, NOT ALL CAMERAS NEED THIS EXTRA SHARPENING, thats all,
GET IT???

Let drop this, I know you have to have the last word so go ahead, I am done
with your nonsense, care nothing about your
analysis or opinion, to me it means nothing. Since you began this exchange
with derogeratory remarks regarding photographer ineptness I will send my
apology
upon receipt of yours to me and the MANY other people you offended by
claiming it is the user error and not the camera.......... We are
waiting.........


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Martik
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2004

> Let drop this, I know you have to have the last word so go ahead, I am
> done
> with your nonsense, care nothing about your
> analysis or opinion, to me it means nothing. Since you began this exchange
> with derogeratory remarks regarding photographer ineptness I will send my
> apology
> upon receipt of yours to me and the MANY other people you offended by
> claiming it is the user error and not the camera.......... We are
> waiting.........
>


You may find this thread interesting:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5655627

Seems everyone is 'arguing' about the A-series soft focus 'problem'


 
Reply With Quote
 
jspen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2004

"Martik" <martik@_nospam_telus.net> wrote in message
news:O35wc.14539$jl6.3846@edtnps89...
>
> > Let drop this, I know you have to have the last word so go ahead, I am
> > done
> > with your nonsense, care nothing about your
> > analysis or opinion, to me it means nothing. Since you began this

exchange
> > with derogeratory remarks regarding photographer ineptness I will send

my
> > apology
> > upon receipt of yours to me and the MANY other people you offended by
> > claiming it is the user error and not the camera.......... We are
> > waiting.........
> >

>
> You may find this thread interesting:
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5655627
>
> Seems everyone is 'arguing' about the A-series soft focus 'problem'


Lets be objective and unemotional about it now )) At least people are
discussing it
which is good for Canon to listen and keep making the next model better and
better. Higher standards
through user commentary, analysis and criticism is a GOOD thing and should
be embraced not excused...


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian C. Baird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2004
In article <p64wc.14532$jl6.10256@edtnps89>, martik@_nospam_telus.net
says...
> Maybe this comparometer will help:
>
> Select the Canon A75 on the right and compare it to any other camera on the
> left.
>
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/CDISPLAY.HTM


That's a handy site. Just wish the camera settings were listed under
each photo.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian C. Baird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2004
In article <_o4wc.1697$(E-Mail Removed). net>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Since you began this exchange
> with derogeratory remarks regarding photographer ineptness I will send my
> apology upon receipt of yours to me and the MANY other people you offended by
> claiming it is the user error and not the camera.......... We are
> waiting.........


Jim,

Go back and re-read the thread. If I said your problem was caused by
user error, and if I did so in a rude manner, I will apologize.
However, user error does occur, I won't apologize for bringing it up
when countless others did in this thread.

Again, the issue never was with your copy or your experience, Jim. My
only contention was with this statement:

"I was addressing the OP about looking at the pictures, and I am not the
only one who has mentioned soft images so I am not assuming the worst,
just stating a well know fact, documented personally and by many
others."

Which I found odd, because earlier you were fairly honest about the
camera, saying that you didn't know if all the A75's were "bad." That's
quite different than stating that soft images are "...a well know (sic)
fact".

"Soft" images from this camera remain a matter of opinion, not fact.
What is "soft" to you may be normal to me. The "softness" could easily
be caused by some other factor such as slow shutter speed, poor focus,
user error or lens limitations. For that reason, your statement was in
error. That's all I'm saying to you.

Again, I think you're making this out to be far more than it really is.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian C. Baird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2004
In article <Rk5wc.1744$(E-Mail Removed). net>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Lets be objective and unemotional about it now )) At least people are
> discussing it which is good for Canon to listen and keep making the next model better and
> better. Higher standards through user commentary, analysis and criticism is a GOOD thing and should
> be embraced not excused...


Well, if a lot of people are having trouble figuring out how to use the
autofocus system, it certainly makes sense for them to upgrade it the
future. It seems the cameras are working as designed, but as always,
certain concepts do not translate well to the mass market.
Additionally, adding a sharpening boost in-camera doesn't cost a dime
(besides programming time) and would placate those who want sharper
photos and don't care about artifacts. Many of these features are
present on the "prosumer" point and shoots from Canon, so only time will
tell if they migrate into the lower market.

Of course, right now the market is obsessed with megapixels, so I don't
see any indication that any of the camera manufacturers will put SLR
performance into a point and shoot, even if the technology is easily
implemented.
 
Reply With Quote
 
SpongeBob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2004
Martik wrote:

> You may find this thread interesting:
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5655627
>
> Seems everyone is 'arguing' about the A-series soft focus 'problem'



Call me crazy, but there's a fellow in that forum named Scott W. who's
posts are so similar to Brian C. Baird's that one really must wonder if it
is indeed the same person.

Many manufacturers have employees who's job it is to scan forums and prop
up their products and the way the A-series cameras are being defended by
these guys, I think, goes beyond just a happy owner defending his purchase.

Anyone concur?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian C. Baird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2004
In article <40c1df9b$0$81013$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Call me crazy, but there's a fellow in that forum named Scott W. who's
> posts are so similar to Brian C. Baird's that one really must wonder if it
> is indeed the same person.


What? Just because two people don't give into hysteria they must be the
same person?

> Many manufacturers have employees who's job it is to scan forums and prop
> up their products and the way the A-series cameras are being defended by
> these guys, I think, goes beyond just a happy owner defending his purchase.
>
> Anyone concur?


Paranoia!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tyrone Jackson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2004
I concur! That's good enough evidence for me. That's funny. I knew my
presumptions were right.
Good eye Sponge!
Were keeping an eye on you Brian or Scott or whatever identity your using at
the moment! Don't be embarrassed, theres nothing wrong with getting "found
out". Hey, you can't stay in the closet for ever! Right buddy? ; )
Hey Brian, can you pass us on some employee or Rep. discounts through Canon?
For accessories? Can you get things at cost? That would be great!
I'm in the market for a flash setup for my Olympus C4000. Tripods, lighting
equipment, all kinds of stuff. If you can beat Ebay prices substantially
you've got a customer!

Ty

"SpongeBob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40c1df9b$0$81013$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Martik wrote:
>
> > You may find this thread interesting:
> >
> > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5655627
> >
> > Seems everyone is 'arguing' about the A-series soft focus 'problem'

>
>
> Call me crazy, but there's a fellow in that forum named Scott W. who's
> posts are so similar to Brian C. Baird's that one really must wonder if it
> is indeed the same person.
>
> Many manufacturers have employees who's job it is to scan forums and prop
> up their products and the way the A-series cameras are being defended by
> these guys, I think, goes beyond just a happy owner defending his

purchase.
>
> Anyone concur?
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon A75 or Canon S1 IS Lordman Digital Photography 2 12-16-2004 12:08 AM
Canon A75 AVI files - Need plugin ?? Bob from Tulsa Computer Support 0 11-14-2004 12:32 AM
Canon Elph SD110, Kodak EasyShare CX7430, Canon Powershots A75 and A80, and Nikon CoolPix 3200 Shannon Digital Photography 4 08-19-2004 09:03 PM
Canon Powershot A75 DSegal1027 Digital Photography 2 04-11-2004 12:22 PM
Canon Powershot A75 CT Digital Photography 2 03-05-2004 09:49 PM



Advertisments