Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon A75 "softness"

Canon A75 "softness"

Terence

Here's my personal opinion on the subject. I have to admit since I got
my camera I haven't been happy with how some of the pictures have been
turning out. So I decided to do a very informal test and spent a
couple of hours taking random pictures around my house using various
camera settings, in different lighting conditions, both handheld and
tripod-mounted.

My own conclusion is that AiAF doesn't work very well; even in a
brightly lit scene. More often than not, it did not come to complete
focus on my intended subject. Even when those green focus boxes
correctly identified the parts of the frame where my subject was
located, the picture still didn't come out well.

I'm MUCH happier with how the pictures come out with AiAF turned off,
and light metering switched to spot. Now my camera works exactly like
how my 35mm Canon P&S does. I just compose the shot with the subject
centered, then frame the scene as needed and take the picture.

I can't see myself ever using the full Auto mode (nor AiAF) on the A75
ever again, except maybe for testing purposes - I just didn't find I
had any control over how the camera focused with that feature enabled.
Having said that, I'm happy with the pictures the A75 takes,
especially now that I've learned a little more on how to use it.

And before I get flamed for stating facts, this is just my own
experience, so ymmv.

Terence

Brian C. Baird

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, auriga_m38
@yahoo.com says...
> I can't see myself ever using the full Auto mode (nor AiAF) on the A75
> ever again, except maybe for testing purposes - I just didn't find I
> had any control over how the camera focused with that feature enabled.
> Having said that, I'm happy with the pictures the A75 takes,
> especially now that I've learned a little more on how to use it.
>
> And before I get flamed for stating facts, this is just my own
> experience, so ymmv.
>
> Terence

Terence,

Glad to here you're happy with the camera and found what was causing you
the trouble.

Tyrone Jackson

That's wonderful! Enjoy your Canon A75. Some people use Photoshop to sharpen
photos if needed.

Ty

"Brian C. Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, auriga_m38
> @yahoo.com says...
> > I can't see myself ever using the full Auto mode (nor AiAF) on the A75
> > ever again, except maybe for testing purposes - I just didn't find I
> > had any control over how the camera focused with that feature enabled.
> > Having said that, I'm happy with the pictures the A75 takes,
> > especially now that I've learned a little more on how to use it.
> >
> > And before I get flamed for stating facts, this is just my own
> > experience, so ymmv.
> >
> > Terence

> Terence,
>
> Glad to here you're happy with the camera and found what was causing you
> the trouble.

nixjunk

>That's wonderful! Enjoy your Canon A75. Some people use Photoshop to sharpen
>photos if needed.
>
>Ty

Nice sentiment until the last sentence.

Tyrone Jackson

I said "if needed". I thought I continued nicely with "sentiment".

Ty

"nixjunk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >That's wonderful! Enjoy your Canon A75. Some people use Photoshop to

sharpen
> >photos if needed.
> >
> >Ty
> >

> Nice sentiment until the last sentence.

nixjunk

>> >That's wonderful! Enjoy your Canon A75. Some people use Photoshop to
>sharpen
>> >photos if needed.
>> >
>> >Ty
>> >

>> Nice sentiment until the last sentence.

>I said "if needed". I thought I continued nicely with "sentiment".
>
>Ty

Considering your past remarks on sharpness I doubt you were trying to be
helpful.

Martik

Common problem with the Canon A series. Check out the powershot forum at
http://forums.powershot-a.com/

Tyrone Jackson

Well I thought that the general consensus for dealing with "soft photos"
from some of the Canon A series cameras was to apply a small amount of
sharpening if desired. Am I wrong? And if I am not wrong, how is that not
trying to be helpful?

Ty

"nixjunk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >sharpen

> >> Nice sentiment until the last sentence.

> >I said "if needed". I thought I continued nicely with "sentiment".
> >
> >Ty

> Considering your past remarks on sharpness I doubt you were trying to be
> helpful.

Brian C. Baird

In article <EEPvc.13831$OI5.905@edtnps84>, martik@_nospam_telus.net
says...
> Common problem with the Canon A series. Check out the powershot forum at
> http://forums.powershot-a.com/

Deja Vu all over again.

Jim Spen

"Brian C. Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> In article <EEPvc.13831$OI5.905@edtnps84>, martik@_nospam_telus.net
> says...
> > Common problem with the Canon A series. Check out the powershot forum at
> > http://forums.powershot-a.com/

> Deja Vu all over again.

No Brian, No, not others that have the same problem.... GASP! Could
someone else other than
you perchance have a opinion or fact that WAS legimitate and true contraire
to your opinion??? Double GASP!
The pink elephant has entered the building...