Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak EasyShare Shutdown Problem for Kodak 4530

Kodak EasyShare Shutdown Problem for Kodak 4530

JR Berry

Hi everyone. I need some expert advice.

I recently bought a Kodak 4530 digital camera. I installed the
EasyShare software on my Windows 98 SE computer. I got the
software to work ok, but from that time on I could not shutdown
my computer, using START, SHUTDOWN, etc. The system would hang
and I had to manually shut down the pc. It seems that some
software in Easyshare would not shutdown properly (just a
guess).

After I uninstalled the EasyShare software my computer will
shutdown just fine. Today I reinstalled the Easyshare and once
again my computer wont shutdown properly.

I could really use some expert help.

Thanks very much...........

longshot

windows 98? check kodak.com, I think there may be patches you need to
install.

JR Berry

Thanks longshot for your quick reply..... Just so I'm clear I'm
simply installing "patches" from their site and not the entire
application?

Thanks....

"longshot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> windows 98? check kodak.com, I think there may be patches you

need to
> install.

William Jackson

There are a number of known issues with Windows98 on shutdown that can be
triggered in ways that I've never really been able to understand. Install
some software the system hangs, uninstall it and the problem goes away.
Install something else and it comes back.

Microsoft has addressed this with a supplement that is supposed to deal with
this, you can find out more here:

"JR Berry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone. I need some expert advice.
>
> I recently bought a Kodak 4530 digital camera. I installed the
> EasyShare software on my Windows 98 SE computer. I got the
> software to work ok, but from that time on I could not shutdown
> my computer, using START, SHUTDOWN, etc. The system would hang
> and I had to manually shut down the pc. It seems that some
> software in Easyshare would not shutdown properly (just a
> guess).
>
> After I uninstalled the EasyShare software my computer will
> shutdown just fine. Today I reinstalled the Easyshare and once
> again my computer wont shutdown properly.
>
> I could really use some expert help.
>
> Thanks very much...........

Pete

In article <c9n0na$3bq$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote

> There are a number of known issues with Windows98 on shutdown that can be
> triggered in ways that I've never really been able to understand. Install
> some software the system hangs, uninstall it and the problem goes away.
> Install something else and it comes back.
> Microsoft has addressed this with a supplement that is supposed to deal with
> this, you can find out more here:

> "JR Berry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi everyone. I need some expert advice.

> > I recently bought a Kodak 4530 digital camera. I installed the
> > EasyShare software on my Windows 98 SE computer. I got the
> > software to work ok, but from that time on I could not shutdown
> > my computer, using START, SHUTDOWN, etc. The system would hang
> > and I had to manually shut down the pc. It seems that some
> > software in Easyshare would not shutdown properly (just a
> > guess).

> > After I uninstalled the EasyShare software my computer will
> > shutdown just fine. Today I reinstalled the Easyshare and once
> > again my computer wont shutdown properly.
> > I could really use some expert help.
> > Thanks very much...........

I had the same problem using [DX 6490] though it's not the camera.
It is the result of two problems, the Kodakcss module and the items
that the Easyshare Software uses to interface with the USB hub.

Kodak addressed this problem by revising the software. If you have
98SE and are using V3.2 then you need to uninstall all Kodak SW and
obtain Version 3.4 - reload [selectively] and the problem about hanging
will be resolved.

You can get the software on free download from the Kodak Site, however I
recently mailed them about this and they sent me a new CD [I am in UK]
within the week. The problem was resolved.

However, to make it easier you might like to do the following before
reloading:

1] Uninstall all Kodak Software. Before doing so:
a. save all album contents to a CD or HDD and delete
the Kodak Folders in 'My Computer'
b. delete all Kodak shortcuts from the Program Menu and desktop.

2] Delete the program from the 'Add/Remove' feature in 'My Computer'.

Once deleted, remove all usb connected equipment and leads and reboot.

After stable, insert the new version CD and follow instructions. Select
'Custom' installation. If you are not equiped with a dock then only select
Easyshare Software and Camera Software [the top two items] ensure 'Not Installed'
is selected on the bottom two items, otherwise select all. Continue as prompted.

Once you have installed it all, reboot as directed. Once stable, close down,
attach USB components and inclued the camera as well. Start up.

Once stable go to 'My Computer' Control Panel add new hard ware and select
imaging device. Select the camera type and proceed as directed. Reboot.

Under 'Imaging Devices' you should have the Kodak Camera. Though not
absolutely necessary it helps stop the OS from 'polling' for an item.

I know this is a bit of a pain but its how I resolved nearly all the issues
with 98SE.

HTH

JR Berry

Thanks Pete. Couple of questions:

1. What version of Easyshare do they send to you (via mail)?
2. What version came with your camera? (Mine came with v 3.3)

One more thing, Pete. Who did you contact at Kodak to complain
about the problem?

Just a comment........... If a new version of Easyshare fixes
the shutdown problem why doesn't Kodak say that up front on
their kodak.com web site? Maybe they do but I haven't been
able to find it.

Thanks again

"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <c9n0na$3bq$(E-Mail Removed)>,

(E-Mail Removed) wrote

> [...]

only select
> Easyshare Software and Camera Software [the top two items]

ensure 'Not Installed'
> is selected on the bottom two items, otherwise select all.

Continue as prompted.

> Once you have installed it all, reboot as directed. Once

stable, close down,
> attach USB components and inclued the camera as well. Start

up.

> Once stable go to 'My Computer' Control Panel add new hard

ware and select
> imaging device. Select the camera type and proceed as

directed. Reboot.

> Under 'Imaging Devices' you should have the Kodak Camera.

Though not
> absolutely necessary it helps stop the OS from 'polling' for

an item.

> I know this is a bit of a pain but its how I resolved nearly

J&KCopeland

"JR Berry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

Info only: I, too, loaded Easyshare on an XP system. While the XP system
handled it fine, Pinnacle Studio 8 promptly started exhibiting some very
strange symptoms. (which I didn't recognize as a problem with EasyShare)

Strange Symptom = As an example, in Studio, when I would try to select a
font for title screen, none of the fonts would be displayed HOWEVER the
dropdown box obviously had the fonts, because a random selection click would
change the screen font. Very odd.

Finally, after about a week of emails, I received an email from a Pinnacle
tech that said that there were known conflicts between Studio and Easyshare.
Final recommendation was to remove EasyShare, do a complete "recovery" and
do not reload EasyShare.. Sooooo......

On the other hand, everything has worked fine since the recovery.

(BTW, I have no idea of which version of EasyShare I have. It's not
loaded.)

James....

Aside: I recently loaded Hot Burn. XCopy Express, promptly mutated into
firing up Hot Burn every time it tried to access the DVD drive..and Hot Burn
refused to access the DVD drive stating that the burn had been completed.
(A demonstration copy of Nero, that I happened to have at the time,
continued to work unmolested). After contacting both software companies,
the recommendation from BOTH was "Pick one. Unload the other."

Pete

In article <G8Svc.33065$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote

> "JR Berry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Info only: I, too, loaded Easyshare on an XP system. While the XP system
> handled it fine, Pinnacle Studio 8 promptly started exhibiting some very
> strange symptoms. (which I didn't recognize as a problem with EasyShare)
>
> Strange Symptom = As an example, in Studio, when I would try to select a
> font for title screen, none of the fonts would be displayed HOWEVER the
> dropdown box obviously had the fonts, because a random selection click would
> change the screen font. Very odd.
>
> Finally, after about a week of emails, I received an email from a Pinnacle
> tech that said that there were known conflicts between Studio and Easyshare.
> Final recommendation was to remove EasyShare, do a complete "recovery" and
> do not reload EasyShare.. Sooooo......
>
> On the other hand, everything has worked fine since the recovery.
>
> (BTW, I have no idea of which version of EasyShare I have. It's not
> loaded.)
>
> James....
>
> Aside: I recently loaded Hot Burn. XCopy Express, promptly mutated into
> firing up Hot Burn every time it tried to access the DVD drive..and Hot Burn
> refused to access the DVD drive stating that the burn had been completed.
> (A demonstration copy of Nero, that I happened to have at the time,
> continued to work unmolested). After contacting both software companies,
> the recommendation from BOTH was "Pick one. Unload the other."

LOL.......that's pretty much the response I usualy get when trying
to resolve problems like this. The main problem with the easyshare
SW is that they have made it too heavy a footprint and have tried
to make it too easy for the average 'I know nothing about puters'
Mr. Average. I s'pose it's a marketing thing. If you are running
a Dock/Printer Dock and want to use Kodak SW for most/all your mail
and imaging activity then its fine for those with little PC savvy
but otherwise its a bit of a pain. I only use it to dump my pictures
and use other SW for everything else. The big problem is that the Kodak
SW grabs resources on the basis that it assumes it's going to be top dog.

BTW out of interest - just discovered an annoying problem with the
6490 - doing Movie Mode - the sound capture is very good indeed. So
good that if the subjet of your movie is moving back and forth,the
focus mechanism moving to cope with it is picked up clear as crystal
on the sound track. It's just taken me over an hour to edit it out.

Still, if I wanted high quality movie mode I'd buy a dedicated camera
so it's not that important a whinge. Is it?

Ron Baird

Greetings JR,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having. When you get an issue like
this 'a computer running Windows 98SE Operation System (OS) is having
trouble shutting down' you should refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base
Article - 238096 located at the Microsoft Corporation Web site. This
article includes the Windows 98SE OS Shutdown Supplement which should fix
your error. Give it a try and see what happens.

Since EasyShare is involved, just update your version of EasyShare from the
Kodak website and that issue should go away.

http://www.kodak.com /go/easysharesw

Talk to you soon, JR,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"JR Berry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone. I need some expert advice.
>
> I recently bought a Kodak 4530 digital camera. I installed the
> EasyShare software on my Windows 98 SE computer. I got the
> software to work ok, but from that time on I could not shutdown
> my computer, using START, SHUTDOWN, etc. The system would hang
> and I had to manually shut down the pc. It seems that some
> software in Easyshare would not shutdown properly (just a
> guess).
>
> After I uninstalled the EasyShare software my computer will
> shutdown just fine. Today I reinstalled the Easyshare and once
> again my computer wont shutdown properly.
>
> I could really use some expert help.
>
> Thanks very much...........

JR Berry

Thanks Ron,

I didn't have the shutdown problem until I install Easyshare.
When I uninstalled Easyshare the problem went away.
When I re-installed Easyshare the problem was back. That tells
me that Easyshare (v3.3) and Windows 98 SE (which I keep
updated) have a compatibility problem. Wouldn't you agree?

Does that mean the version of Easyshare that came with my camera
(v3.3) has a problem? I couldn't find anything on the Kodak
site that discussed a (possible) problem with Easyshare v 3.3.

Have any other Easyshare users experienced a problem with v 3.3?

Thanks again for your reply. I appreciate you help.

news:ca2jja$aes$(E-Mail Removed)...