Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon error message

Canon error message

Kenneth Parkins

When viewing pictures on my Canon S50's LCD I occasionally get an error
message saying something like "incompatible jpg" - could this be a camera
malfunction or just a spurious occurrence?

--
Regards
Ken Parkins

Sorby

"Kenneth Parkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> When viewing pictures on my Canon S50's LCD I occasionally get an error
> message saying something like "incompatible jpg" - could this be a camera
> malfunction or just a spurious occurrence?

Do you occasionally transfer images from your PC to your camera's memory
card?

If so then it is possible that you are also transferring a photo index or
thumbnail data file (created by your preferred image processing software).
These files are not recognised by the camera and might be causing the error
message you're getting.

--
Sorby

Ed E.

> When viewing pictures on my Canon S50's LCD I occasionally get an error
> message saying something like "incompatible jpg" - could this be a camera
> malfunction or just a spurious occurrence?

Could be a flaky memory card, or possibly something stopped the camera when
saving the file such as opening the battery or compact flash door.

Kenneth Parkins

Thanks for your suggestions but this happens in the camera directly after
taking the shot with me doing nothing else.

--
Regards
Ken Parkins
"Ed E." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When viewing pictures on my Canon S50's LCD I occasionally get an error
> > message saying something like "incompatible jpg" - could this be a

camera
> > malfunction or just a spurious occurrence?

> Could be a flaky memory card, or possibly something stopped the camera

when
> saving the file such as opening the battery or compact flash door.

Zol.

I would definetely try another CF Card, try the one that came with the camera for a while
and see if you get the same messages.

Zol.

> Thanks for your suggestions but this happens in the camera directly after
> taking the shot with me doing nothing else.
>
> --
> Regards
> Ken Parkins
> "Ed E." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > When viewing pictures on my Canon S50's LCD I occasionally get an error
> > > message saying something like "incompatible jpg" - could this be a

> camera
> > > malfunction or just a spurious occurrence?

> > Could be a flaky memory card, or possibly something stopped the camera

> when
> > saving the file such as opening the battery or compact flash door.

Brian C. Baird

In article <h75vc.162$oj.59@newsfe2-win>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Thanks for your suggestions but this happens in the camera directly after
> taking the shot with me doing nothing else.

Your camera is infested with evil spirits. Burn it immediately!

Ed E.

> Thanks for your suggestions but this happens in the camera directly after
> taking the shot with me doing nothing else.

What brand memory card are you using? Like Zol said, try a different card
and see if the problem goes away.

I had a film body that would occasionally lock up because the way it
determined if the battery door was closed would sometimes act up.