Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > File transfer over wireless adhoc

File transfer over wireless adhoc

=?Utf-8?B?d2lsbGll?=

HEllo I have two wi fi laptops running XP and both have service pack 2. I
have been able to configure the laptops for an adhoc well at least I think I
have! I want to transfer a huge file from one computer to the other but cant
seem to get the computers to recognise each other! Any Ideas

Boss Hog

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> HEllo I have two wi fi laptops running XP and both have service pack 2. I
> have been able to configure the laptops for an adhoc well at least I think I
> have! I want to transfer a huge file from one computer to the other but cant
> seem to get the computers to recognise each other! Any Ideas

Workgroups the same? Shares configured?

ANONYMOUS

Have a look here:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml

hth

willie wrote:

> HEllo I have two wi fi laptops running XP and both have service pack 2. I
> have been able to configure the laptops for an adhoc well at least I think I
> have! I want to transfer a huge file from one computer to the other but cant
> seem to get the computers to recognise each other! Any Ideas

Ryan Younger

Please visit:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/

And click the 'Sharing an Internet Connection Wirelessly' link on the right.
The first part of the article will guide you through creating an adhoc
wireless network. Once you are sure this has been setup correctly ensure
that both machine's are in the same workgroup and that you have created a
share on one of the machines, or both if you wish (and given the share the
appropriate permissions, so that the user on the other machine can
connect).Once you have done this you should be able to access the shared
folder.

So for example, let's assume you have followed the steps in the article and
successfully setup an adhoc wireless network and that you have machineA and
machineB and you want to transfer a file from machineA to machineB, you
would first ensure both machine's are a member of the same workgroup and
then create a folder on machineB and share this, you would then set
permissions on the shared folder so that the user on machineA has access to
it, let's say that you create a folder named 'foo'. From machineA you
should now be able to access machineB using a UNC path by clicking Start >
Run... and then typing \\machineB\foo this should open the folder on
machineA and the the file can then be copied to that shared folder.

Hopefully this will be of some help to you, if you have any questions please
reply.

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.