Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > seeking file recovery program for crw files

seeking file recovery program for crw files

JC Dill

I transferred files shot on my 300D to my laptop yesterday, in my car
while I was shooting on the other card, and apparently the laptop
suspended mid-transfer (thinking the battery was too low, which it
wasn't). I restarted the laptop, spot checked and it looked like all
the files had transferred, so I deleted the files off the card.
*Fortunately* I didn't shoot anything else on that card, because last
night I discovered that I'm missing the last 25 files from the first
folder (but the second folder transfered completely, which is how my
spotcheck failed to notice the missing files). I downloaded a file
recovery program that finds the .thm files (but thinks they are ?.jpg) -
it sees the .thms for the missing .crw files, so I know the files are
still there on the disk.

I'm using win2k, and the files are canon raw on a 1 GB compact flash
that was initially formatted by the 300D in whatever format 300D uses.
Ideally, I'd like to use a program with a free trial so I can recover
these files without having to buy first, so I can test the program and
decided if I want to buy it and have it around if I manage to do
something like this again.

I've googled a bit, but since the first program I tried can't find/see
the .crw files, I'm looking for a specific recommendation for programs
that are known to work when recovering .crw from compact flash, rather
than having to keep on trying various programs that might not work with
files in this format.

Thanks!

jc

Hal

"JC Dill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_BKuc.14262$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I transferred files shot on my 300D to my laptop yesterday, in my car
> while I was shooting on the other card, and apparently the laptop
> suspended mid-transfer (thinking the battery was too low, which it
> wasn't). I restarted the laptop, spot checked and it looked like all
> the files had transferred, so I deleted the files off the card.
> *Fortunately* I didn't shoot anything else on that card, because last
> night I discovered that I'm missing the last 25 files from the first
> folder (but the second folder transfered completely, which is how my
> spotcheck failed to notice the missing files). I downloaded a file
> recovery program that finds the .thm files (but thinks they are ?.jpg) -
> it sees the .thms for the missing .crw files, so I know the files are
> still there on the disk.
>
> I'm using win2k, and the files are canon raw on a 1 GB compact flash
> that was initially formatted by the 300D in whatever format 300D uses.
> Ideally, I'd like to use a program with a free trial so I can recover
> these files without having to buy first, so I can test the program and
> decided if I want to buy it and have it around if I manage to do
> something like this again.
>
> I've googled a bit, but since the first program I tried can't find/see
> the .crw files, I'm looking for a specific recommendation for programs
> that are known to work when recovering .crw from compact flash, rather
> than having to keep on trying various programs that might not work with
> files in this format.
>
> Thanks!
>
> jc

I've had great success with "Recover My Files."

http://recovermyfiles.com

It's not cheap, but it works great!

Regards,

Hal Lowe
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/send_email_new.html
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/music.html
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html
http://www.halowe-graphics.com
http://wc.halowe-graphics.com

Dave Herzstein

JC Dill wrote:

> I've googled a bit, but since the first program I tried can't find/see
> the .crw files, I'm looking for a specific recommendation for programs
> that are known to work when recovering .crw from compact flash, rather
> than having to keep on trying various programs that might not work with
> files in this format.

I accidentally deleted all of the folders and files (Canon RAW .CRW)
from my CF card and successfully recovered all of them with "Back2Life"
http://grandutils.com/Back2Life/

-Dave

sun lei

Download AlbumFamiy software at http://www.albumsfamily.com to help you