Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > on the bubble - D70

on the bubble - D70

JD

I am a serious amateur photographer. I shoot landscapes, flowers and
architecure. My wife and I sell my work at outdoor art shows. I am very
happy with my N 8008S, shooting transparencies and having Fujichrome prints
( up to 18 x 24) made. I have been reading about the D 70 and am wondering
if this is the time for me to take "The Step" into digital. I am going to
Yellowstone this fall and am thinking that a D 70 would be just great. I do
have to sell my wife on spending $1300-1500 on a new toy.
Here are some questions.
1 so you see the "cropped" view when looking through the viewfinder or do
you have to guess what is cut off when using 35mm lenses.

2. I enlarge up to 18x24 will the D 70 enable me to do this?
3. What additional gadgets would you recommend ie add'l memory cards
4. What are the disadvantages of digital?
5. Should I save my pennies for a D 100 instead of a D 70?

Thanks for your help in this.
JD
Chesapeake, VA US of A

Tom Scales

See comments below

Tom
"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:yYFuc.3309$eP.581@lakeread01...
> I am a serious amateur photographer. I shoot landscapes, flowers and
> architecure. My wife and I sell my work at outdoor art shows. I am very
> happy with my N 8008S, shooting transparencies and having Fujichrome

prints
> ( up to 18 x 24) made. I have been reading about the D 70 and am

wondering
> if this is the time for me to take "The Step" into digital. I am going to
> Yellowstone this fall and am thinking that a D 70 would be just great. I

do
> have to sell my wife on spending $1300-1500 on a new toy.
> Here are some questions.
> 1 so you see the "cropped" view when looking through the viewfinder or do
> you have to guess what is cut off when using 35mm lenses.

Nope, what you see is what you get -- it's a true SLR.

> 2. I enlarge up to 18x24 will the D 70 enable me to do this?

Sure. I regularly print 24x36 on my Epson 7600 from my D100. The D70 is
the same sensor

> 3. What additional gadgets would you recommend ie add'l memory cards

I'd consider one of the 'matched' flash units -- the SB600 or SB800. Lots
of memory cards (preferably several mediums rather than one large -- safer
if one fails). Spare battery. If you're taking a laptop, that's probably
it as you can offload the cards. If not, you'll need a 'storage device' to
offload the cards.

Oh, and a really good photoprinter. Epson 2200 or the like. I'd recommend
Epson printers, from personal experience.

> 4. What are the disadvantages of digital?

Not many, but the most obvious is the longevity of the negative.

> 5. Should I save my pennies for a D 100 instead of a D 70?

No. The D70 is actually superior to the D100. Same sensor, better
electronics. Body on the D100 may be a little tougher. I'm about (today) to
order a D70 to compliment my D100.

> Thanks for your help in this.
> JD
> Chesapeake, VA US of A

leo

"Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> See comments below
>
> Tom
> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > I am a serious amateur photographer. I shoot landscapes, flowers and
> > architecure. My wife and I sell my work at outdoor art shows. I am very
> > happy with my N 8008S, shooting transparencies and having Fujichrome

> prints
> > ( up to 18 x 24) made. I have been reading about the D 70 and am

> wondering
> > if this is the time for me to take "The Step" into digital. I am going

> > Yellowstone this fall and am thinking that a D 70 would be just great.

> do
> > have to sell my wife on spending $1300-1500 on a new toy.
> > Here are some questions.
> > 1 so you see the "cropped" view when looking through the viewfinder or

do
> > you have to guess what is cut off when using 35mm lenses.

> Nope, what you see is what you get -- it's a true SLR.
>
> > 2. I enlarge up to 18x24 will the D 70 enable me to do this?

> Sure. I regularly print 24x36 on my Epson 7600 from my D100. The D70 is
> the same sensor
>
> > 3. What additional gadgets would you recommend ie add'l memory cards

> I'd consider one of the 'matched' flash units -- the SB600 or SB800. Lots
> of memory cards (preferably several mediums rather than one large -- safer
> if one fails). Spare battery. If you're taking a laptop, that's probably
> it as you can offload the cards. If not, you'll need a 'storage device' to
> offload the cards.
>
> Oh, and a really good photoprinter. Epson 2200 or the like. I'd recommend
> Epson printers, from personal experience.
>
> > 4. What are the disadvantages of digital?

> Not many, but the most obvious is the longevity of the negative.
>
> > 5. Should I save my pennies for a D 100 instead of a D 70?

> No. The D70 is actually superior to the D100. Same sensor, better
> electronics. Body on the D100 may be a little tougher. I'm about (today)

> order a D70 to compliment my D100.
>

> > Thanks for your help in this.
> > JD
> > Chesapeake, VA US of A

I print 12x18 at Costco's One Hour Photo - Noritsu "laser" printer. I am
using Canon 300D with 50mm prime lens - one of the sharpest lens. you CAN
see slight softness at that print size but generally very acceptable for my
need. I haven't made anything bigger than that. I'd think at 24x36, the
print is pretty blurry but might be okay it's only need to be seen many feet
away, so it depends on your need. If you want to sell a print at that size,
I think you may want a Canon 1Ds or 1D Mark II for that.

Tom Scales

I can't comment on the 300D, but the 24x36" print from my D100 with the
12-24 Nikkor is tack sharp. Not soft at all. Upsized at 360dpi in
Photoshop, sharpened appropriately and printed. The proper viewing distance
is, of course, not right up next to the print, but even up close it is very
sharp. Sharper than the results of scanning at 4000dpi on my Nikon LS-4000
film scanner.

Tom

"leo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%CGuc.16559$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
<snip>
> I print 12x18 at Costco's One Hour Photo - Noritsu "laser" printer. I am
> using Canon 300D with 50mm prime lens - one of the sharpest lens. you CAN
> see slight softness at that print size but generally very acceptable for

my
> need. I haven't made anything bigger than that. I'd think at 24x36, the
> print is pretty blurry but might be okay it's only need to be seen many

feet
> away, so it depends on your need. If you want to sell a print at that

size,
> I think you may want a Canon 1Ds or 1D Mark II for that.

Bruce

> I am a serious amateur photographer. I shoot landscapes, flowers and
> architecure. My wife and I sell my work at outdoor art shows. I am very
> happy with my N 8008S, shooting transparencies and having Fujichrome prints
> ( up to 18 x 24) made. I have been reading about the D 70 and am wondering
> if this is the time for me to take "The Step" into digital. I am going to
> Yellowstone this fall and am thinking that a D 70 would be just great. I do
> have to sell my wife on spending $1300-1500 on a new toy.
> Here are some questions.
> 1 so you see the "cropped" view when looking through the viewfinder or do
> you have to guess what is cut off when using 35mm lenses.
>
> 2. I enlarge up to 18x24 will the D 70 enable me to do this?
> 3. What additional gadgets would you recommend ie add'l memory cards
> 4. What are the disadvantages of digital?
> 5. Should I save my pennies for a D 100 instead of a D 70?

* Extra battery for body & flash (NiMH)
* Charger for flash batteries
* Memory card (1GB goes for about $200-250)
* Offline storage/backup (20GB about $350) for long trips
* DVD burner (high quality) for backing up your files
* DVD media (high quality)
* Raw converter software

leo

"Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> I can't comment on the 300D, but the 24x36" print from my D100 with the
> 12-24 Nikkor is tack sharp. Not soft at all. Upsized at 360dpi in
> Photoshop, sharpened appropriately and printed. The proper viewing

distance
> is, of course, not right up next to the print, but even up close it is

very
> sharp. Sharper than the results of scanning at 4000dpi on my Nikon

LS-4000
> film scanner.
>
> Tom

The picture is very sharp on screen at 1:1 zoom. This is not the question of
camera/lens comparison. I do think at 6MP, the optimal print size is 8x14.
Anything larger depends on how satisfy you can tolerate the softness. I have
never used a good 35mm SLR camera so I can't say how good when they are
enlarged to 24x36. The 6MP might well beat 35mm film at that size.
Nevertheless, it certainly goes downhill after 8x14 without using a loupe to
examine. And as I said the 12x18 is very good for my need. It all depends on
your need. I have seen beautiful sharp landscape photos _up close_ at that
size and bigger in art galleries. I think they are possibly done at medium
or large format.

Tony Robinson

The big question here is do you mean inches or cm. If you mean cm you should
have no problems, but 18 x 24 inches is too big for 6MP's. With this much
interpolation it becomes a computer graphic and not a photograph.

Tony R.

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:yYFuc.3309$eP.581@lakeread01...
> I am a serious amateur photographer. I shoot landscapes, flowers and
> architecure. My wife and I sell my work at outdoor art shows. I am very
> happy with my N 8008S, shooting transparencies and having Fujichrome

prints
> ( up to 18 x 24) made. I have been reading about the D 70 and am

wondering
> if this is the time for me to take "The Step" into digital. I am going to
> Yellowstone this fall and am thinking that a D 70 would be just great. I

do
> have to sell my wife on spending $1300-1500 on a new toy.
> Here are some questions.
> 1 so you see the "cropped" view when looking through the viewfinder or do
> you have to guess what is cut off when using 35mm lenses.
>
> 2. I enlarge up to 18x24 will the D 70 enable me to do this?
> 3. What additional gadgets would you recommend ie add'l memory cards
> 4. What are the disadvantages of digital?
> 5. Should I save my pennies for a D 100 instead of a D 70?
>
> Thanks for your help in this.
> JD
> Chesapeake, VA US of A

leo

"Tony Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40bbdd3a$0$8984$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> The big question here is do you mean inches or cm. If you mean cm you

should
> have no problems, but 18 x 24 inches is too big for 6MP's. With this much
> interpolation it becomes a computer graphic and not a photograph.
>
> Tony R.
>
> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > I am a serious amateur photographer. I shoot landscapes, flowers and
> > architecure. My wife and I sell my work at outdoor art shows. I am very
> > happy with my N 8008S, shooting transparencies and having Fujichrome

> prints
> > ( up to 18 x 24) made. I have been reading about the D 70 and am

> wondering
> > if this is the time for me to take "The Step" into digital. I am going

> > Yellowstone this fall and am thinking that a D 70 would be just great.

> do
> > have to sell my wife on spending $1300-1500 on a new toy.
> > Here are some questions.
> > 1 so you see the "cropped" view when looking through the viewfinder or

do
> > you have to guess what is cut off when using 35mm lenses.
> >
> > 2. I enlarge up to 18x24 will the D 70 enable me to do this?
> > 3. What additional gadgets would you recommend ie add'l memory cards
> > 4. What are the disadvantages of digital?
> > 5. Should I save my pennies for a D 100 instead of a D 70?
> >
> > Thanks for your help in this.
> > JD
> > Chesapeake, VA US of A

As I said, 8x12 inches is close to the optimal print. How far you stretch
the limit depends on one's need. The DSLR does deliver noise free pictures
at ISO100. It would give you an advantage to play with Photoshop's
sharpening tools than compact cameras and perhaps even 35mm films. The
current DSLRs, Canon or Nikon (Sony sensor), still blow out highlight fairly
easily though.

Tom Scales

Have you actually TRIED it or is this your THEORY?

I understand that an optimal size is smaller, but the D70/D100 produces
results that upsize to larger sizes VERY WELL. I have very large prints
from my Epson 7600 that are from the D100.

Tom
"Tony Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40bbdd3a$0$8984$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> The big question here is do you mean inches or cm. If you mean cm you

should
> have no problems, but 18 x 24 inches is too big for 6MP's. With this much
> interpolation it becomes a computer graphic and not a photograph.
>
> Tony R.
>
> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > I am a serious amateur photographer. I shoot landscapes, flowers and
> > architecure. My wife and I sell my work at outdoor art shows. I am very
> > happy with my N 8008S, shooting transparencies and having Fujichrome

> prints
> > ( up to 18 x 24) made. I have been reading about the D 70 and am

> wondering
> > if this is the time for me to take "The Step" into digital. I am going

> > Yellowstone this fall and am thinking that a D 70 would be just great.

> do
> > have to sell my wife on spending $1300-1500 on a new toy.
> > Here are some questions.
> > 1 so you see the "cropped" view when looking through the viewfinder or

do
> > you have to guess what is cut off when using 35mm lenses.
> >
> > 2. I enlarge up to 18x24 will the D 70 enable me to do this?
> > 3. What additional gadgets would you recommend ie add'l memory cards
> > 4. What are the disadvantages of digital?
> > 5. Should I save my pennies for a D 100 instead of a D 70?
> >
> > Thanks for your help in this.
> > JD
> > Chesapeake, VA US of A

r. a. parks

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<yYFuc.3309$eP.581@lakeread01>...
> I am a serious amateur photographer. I shoot landscapes, flowers and
> architecure. My wife and I sell my work at outdoor art shows. I am very
> happy with my N 8008S, shooting transparencies and having Fujichrome prints
> ( up to 18 x 24) made. I have been reading about the D 70 and am wondering
> if this is the time for me to take "The Step" into digital.

I'm also an amateur who loved my Nikon N80 and just got the D70.
After using the D70 for a couple of weeks, I can't imagine going back
to film. Since you said you want to shoot landscapes and print large,
I'll offer you one full res image of the Chicago lakefront from my D70
to take a look at. Follow this link, and go to my 'downloads' page.

http://homepage.mac.com/parks_chicago

> 1 so you see the "cropped" view when looking through the viewfinder or do
> you have to guess what is cut off when using 35mm lenses.

The field of view that you see in the viewfinder is what you get in
your final image.

> 2. I enlarge up to 18x24 will the D 70 enable me to do this?

I've been satisfied with 16x20 prints, haven't gone larger yet.

> 3. What additional gadgets would you recommend ie add'l memory cards

I use the Lexar 40x cards. A 1 GB card holds like 180 RAW images or
something like 412 full resolution JPGs. The counter counts down
instead of up, telling how many images you supposedly can take. It
seems to underestimate by about 50 percent.

> 4. What are the disadvantages of digital?

Possible disadvantage in maximum resolution, but I've found that
digital more than makes up for it in the consistant quality of the
images. I was surprised at how much better I like the results.

> 5. Should I save my pennies for a D 100 instead of a D 70?

I thought about going with the D100, but found that supplies have
disappeared just about everywhere. The D70 is cheaper, and a
wonderful camera.

Robert Parks