Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Digital ELPH S400

Canon Digital ELPH S400

Larry Lee

Hey guys,

First, after using the S400 do people notice fingerprinting on the camera?
I wouldn't normally ask a cosmetic question, but I've noticed 4-5 reviews
online mentioning this fact.

So after a lot of reading, I almost decided on the S400... but then came
across the below review on amazon.com: What do you guys think? Is this
just an overstatement of an obvious fact, (as in it would happen to any
digital camera) or is this something to look out for specifically with the
S400?

"I bought an S400 seven months ago and was very happy with it. Recently,
however, it stopped working without warning. When I sent it in to the
factory service center, I discovered something very troubling about the
camera that had I known earlier would have caused me to not purchase it.

It turns out that this model--as well as many other Canon digital cameras,
the tech told me--has an aluminum body. If you subject the camera to
temperature changes (and it only takes a change of 10-15 degrees, I was
told) condensation will form inside the camera, and the camera will start to
corrode, eventually rendering it unusable.

This is what had happened to me. What misuse had I subjected my camera to
that caused this to happen? I took it on vacation to the beach with me.
Carrying it from the hot and humid beach into an air conditioned car was
enough to destroy the camera!

The tech told me that he sees this all the time. He didn't know the percent
of all Canon cameras that suffer this fate, but he said a lot of them do. He
told me he gets lots of cameras back from people who have taken them on
vacation to Arizona, Mexico, and Hawaii. He even saw one that had stopped
working because the owner kept it stored in a stuffy closet. When the owner
eventually took it out to use it, the temperature change back to normal room
temperature was enough to fry the camera.

I was told that this damage is not covered under warranty and that the
manual cautions users not to subject their cameras to this sort of
treatment. Canon will not provide service on cameras that suffer this fate."

Ray Fischer

Larry Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hey guys,
>
>First, after using the S400 do people notice fingerprinting on the camera?
>I wouldn't normally ask a cosmetic question, but I've noticed 4-5 reviews
>online mentioning this fact.
>
>So after a lot of reading, I almost decided on the S400... but then came
>across the below review on amazon.com: What do you guys think? Is this
>just an overstatement of an obvious fact, (as in it would happen to any
>digital camera) or is this something to look out for specifically with the
>S400?
>

>"I bought an S400 seven months ago and was very happy with it. Recently,
>however, it stopped working without warning. When I sent it in to the
>factory service center, I discovered something very troubling about the
>camera that had I known earlier would have caused me to not purchase it.
>
>It turns out that this model--as well as many other Canon digital cameras,
>the tech told me--has an aluminum body. If you subject the camera to
>temperature changes (and it only takes a change of 10-15 degrees, I was
>told) condensation will form inside the camera, and the camera will start to
>corrode, eventually rendering it unusable.

That makes no sense. Aluminum doesn't corrude from moisture and there
are many cameras and computers made with aluminum that have no such
problems.

--
Ray Fischer

Bill Crocker

Sounds like your camera tech is smoking crack!

Bill Crocker

"Larry Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey guys,
>
> First, after using the S400 do people notice fingerprinting on the camera?
> I wouldn't normally ask a cosmetic question, but I've noticed 4-5 reviews
> online mentioning this fact.
>
> So after a lot of reading, I almost decided on the S400... but then came
> across the below review on amazon.com: What do you guys think? Is this
> just an overstatement of an obvious fact, (as in it would happen to any
> digital camera) or is this something to look out for specifically with the
> S400?
>

> "I bought an S400 seven months ago and was very happy with it. Recently,
> however, it stopped working without warning. When I sent it in to the
> factory service center, I discovered something very troubling about the
> camera that had I known earlier would have caused me to not purchase it.
>
> It turns out that this model--as well as many other Canon digital cameras,
> the tech told me--has an aluminum body. If you subject the camera to
> temperature changes (and it only takes a change of 10-15 degrees, I was
> told) condensation will form inside the camera, and the camera will start

> corrode, eventually rendering it unusable.
>
> This is what had happened to me. What misuse had I subjected my camera to
> that caused this to happen? I took it on vacation to the beach with me.
> Carrying it from the hot and humid beach into an air conditioned car was
> enough to destroy the camera!
>
> The tech told me that he sees this all the time. He didn't know the

percent
> of all Canon cameras that suffer this fate, but he said a lot of them do.

He
> told me he gets lots of cameras back from people who have taken them on
> vacation to Arizona, Mexico, and Hawaii. He even saw one that had stopped
> working because the owner kept it stored in a stuffy closet. When the

owner
> eventually took it out to use it, the temperature change back to normal

room
> temperature was enough to fry the camera.
>
> I was told that this damage is not covered under warranty and that the
> manual cautions users not to subject their cameras to this sort of
> treatment. Canon will not provide service on cameras that suffer this

fate."

Larry Lee

Thanks, appreciate the input. It seemed a little fishy to me, but I didn't
have much idea how to verify... thanks again.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Larry Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> First, after using the S400 do people notice fingerprinting on the camera?
> I wouldn't normally ask a cosmetic question, but I've noticed 4-5 reviews
> online mentioning this fact.
>
> So after a lot of reading, I almost decided on the S400... but then came
> across the below review on amazon.com: What do you guys think? Is this
> just an overstatement of an obvious fact, (as in it would happen to any
> digital camera) or is this something to look out for specifically with the
> S400?
>

> "I bought an S400 seven months ago and was very happy with it. Recently,
> however, it stopped working without warning. When I sent it in to the
> factory service center, I discovered something very troubling about the
> camera that had I known earlier would have caused me to not purchase it.
>
> It turns out that this model--as well as many other Canon digital cameras,
> the tech told me--has an aluminum body. If you subject the camera to
> temperature changes (and it only takes a change of 10-15 degrees, I was
> told) condensation will form inside the camera, and the camera will start to
> corrode, eventually rendering it unusable.

[snip]

Aluminum is a highly reactive metal but it naturally seals itself inside
a durable, inert, non-conductive, layer of aluminum oxide. There's
nothing that will attack the aluminum oxide layer that won't destroy the
rest of the camera too.

People who work the customer support phones are not technicians.

Joseph Miller

I have an S400 that I have carried around with me all over Hawaii, taken
it underwater in its case to take great pictures, gone from hot places
to cool ones quickly, and the thing has never given a problem. The
pictures astound people and even me, and 11x14 prints look wonderful.
The exposures look great under a variety of lighting conditions. If it
were manual, I couldn't have done better on over 99% of the shots.

Joe