Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon A75 - Blurry

Canon A75 - Blurry

Bob Huckleby

I recently bought an A75 and at first I was very happy in my casual use of
it. Now that I'm paying more attention to it and playing with Photoshop
Elements, I see that the images aren't very clear. There's no fine
definition. I'm taking all of the shots in the Large/Superfine mode. I've
also used a tripod for several shots.

I've compared my shots to shots from other 3.2MP cameras I've found on the
web and mine aren't even close to the clarity of the others.

Could I be missing something? Or is it possible that I've just got a bum
lens?

I hate to take it back to Circuit City and pay the 15% restocking fee if
the problem is mine or if it's just the nature of the camera.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Brian C. Baird

In article <40b93e48$0$215$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I recently bought an A75 and at first I was very happy in my casual use of
> it. Now that I'm paying more attention to it and playing with Photoshop
> Elements, I see that the images aren't very clear. There's no fine
> definition. I'm taking all of the shots in the Large/Superfine mode. I've
> also used a tripod for several shots.
>
> I've compared my shots to shots from other 3.2MP cameras I've found on the
> web and mine aren't even close to the clarity of the others.
>
> Could I be missing something? Or is it possible that I've just got a bum
> lens?
>
> I hate to take it back to Circuit City and pay the 15% restocking fee if
> the problem is mine or if it's just the nature of the camera.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

Go to:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_a75

And see if your getting similar quality or worse quality than everyone
else. If it's worse, call or e-mail Canon and they should help you
troubleshoot it.

Frank

Try to turn off the AIAF function. Instead of having the camera try to focus
on 9 points, it will do so on 1. The center. Also, if your shutter speed is
not too fast, your hand shaking could cause a slight bluryness. I personally
with my A75 need to take multiple shots with various configuration to make
sure I get the picture o.k whether it's brightness or focus. It's not easy,
but can't do anything else.
Hope this helps.

"Bob Huckleby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40b93e48$0$215$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I recently bought an A75 and at first I was very happy in my casual use of
> it. Now that I'm paying more attention to it and playing with Photoshop
> Elements, I see that the images aren't very clear. There's no fine
> definition. I'm taking all of the shots in the Large/Superfine mode. I've
> also used a tripod for several shots.
>
> I've compared my shots to shots from other 3.2MP cameras I've found on the
> web and mine aren't even close to the clarity of the others.
>
> Could I be missing something? Or is it possible that I've just got a bum
> lens?
>
> I hate to take it back to Circuit City and pay the 15% restocking fee if
> the problem is mine or if it's just the nature of the camera.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

Tyrone Jackson

You've found the exact same thing that I have. Only I was disgusted with
both the A70 and A80. Returned them both. Seems to follow suit with the
whole Canon A line. Almost fell for the Canon S1. But the reviews said it
was blurry and plagued with white wash out and purple fringing the same as
the A70 and A80 too. Stumbled across and got a new Olympus C4000 and it is
truly and accurately awesome in ALL areas especially in picture quality
build quality and feature set! Stole a complete floor demo for $243 out the
door at Costco! Better than anything else in the less than $600 dollar
range(IMHO). With the Oly C4000 costing around $300.00 I find the picture
quality on the C4000 AT LEAST as good if not better than the Canon G3 or G5.

GO GET ONE NOW!! If you can find one : (

Ty

"Bob Huckleby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40b93e48$0$215$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I recently bought an A75 and at first I was very happy in my casual use of
> it. Now that I'm paying more attention to it and playing with Photoshop
> Elements, I see that the images aren't very clear. There's no fine
> definition. I'm taking all of the shots in the Large/Superfine mode. I've
> also used a tripod for several shots.
>
> I've compared my shots to shots from other 3.2MP cameras I've found on the
> web and mine aren't even close to the clarity of the others.
>
> Could I be missing something? Or is it possible that I've just got a bum
> lens?
>
> I hate to take it back to Circuit City and pay the 15% restocking fee if
> the problem is mine or if it's just the nature of the camera.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

Tyrone Jackson

Yea, I find it intolerable to have to make adjustments and disable features
to get these Canon A series cameras to take even a poor quality picture. Not
to mention the extreme white washout and high level of purple fringing the A
series cameras produce.

Ty
"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1icuc.133826$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Try to turn off the AIAF function. Instead of having the camera try to

focus
> on 9 points, it will do so on 1. The center. Also, if your shutter speed

is
> not too fast, your hand shaking could cause a slight bluryness. I

personally
> with my A75 need to take multiple shots with various configuration to make
> sure I get the picture o.k whether it's brightness or focus. It's not

easy,
> but can't do anything else.
> Hope this helps.
>
> "Bob Huckleby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40b93e48$0$215$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > I recently bought an A75 and at first I was very happy in my casual use

of
> > it. Now that I'm paying more attention to it and playing with Photoshop
> > Elements, I see that the images aren't very clear. There's no fine
> > definition. I'm taking all of the shots in the Large/Superfine mode.

I've
> > also used a tripod for several shots.
> >
> > I've compared my shots to shots from other 3.2MP cameras I've found on

the
> > web and mine aren't even close to the clarity of the others.
> >
> > Could I be missing something? Or is it possible that I've just got a bum
> > lens?
> >
> > I hate to take it back to Circuit City and pay the 15% restocking fee if
> > the problem is mine or if it's just the nature of the camera.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks.

leo

"Bob Huckleby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40b93e48$0$215$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I recently bought an A75 and at first I was very happy in my casual use of
> it. Now that I'm paying more attention to it and playing with Photoshop
> Elements, I see that the images aren't very clear. There's no fine
> definition. I'm taking all of the shots in the Large/Superfine mode. I've
> also used a tripod for several shots.
>
> I've compared my shots to shots from other 3.2MP cameras I've found on the
> web and mine aren't even close to the clarity of the others.
>
> Could I be missing something? Or is it possible that I've just got a bum
> lens?
>
> I hate to take it back to Circuit City and pay the 15% restocking fee if
> the problem is mine or if it's just the nature of the camera.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

I thought CircuitCity takes anything back with no question ask. Have they
changed the policy?

Sam

Too bad, it doesn't help us who can't return the A75!

:
: GO GET ONE NOW!! If you can find one : (
:
: Ty
:

Sam

I have the same problem. Glad to know that I am not the only one. I wonder if Canon can do a firware upgrade to fix this issue?

[...]

Steve

Bob Huckleby wrote:
> I recently bought an A75 and at first I was very happy in my casual
> use of it. Now that I'm paying more attention to it and playing with
> Photoshop Elements, I see that the images aren't very clear. There's
> no fine definition. I'm taking all of the shots in the
> Large/Superfine mode. I've also used a tripod for several shots.
>
> I've compared my shots to shots from other 3.2MP cameras I've found
> on the web and mine aren't even close to the clarity of the others.
>
> Could I be missing something? Or is it possible that I've just got a
> bum lens?
>
> I hate to take it back to Circuit City and pay the 15% restocking fee
> if the problem is mine or if it's just the nature of the camera.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

Bob:

What you are describing, sounds like the well known "A series Canon soft
image problem". I did the same comparisons with pics from assorted friends
2 and 3 MP digicams and sample pics from web review sites of 2 and 3 MP pics
and I came to the same conclusions.

I replaced my Canon A40 for a Nikon Coolpix 3100 and I have never regretted
the decision!

Since the "A series Canon soft image problem" has been know for atleast 2
years, I do not see Canon ever addressing it.

I would recommed that you return the Canon A75 to Circuit City and replace
it with another other manufacturer's camera. The Nikon Coolpix 3200
(replacement of the 3100) would be a good start.

Good luck,

Steve

Frank

It would be nice to have.